The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reporting war > Comments

Reporting war : Comments

By Jeremy Sharon, published 15/8/2006

Does Human Rights Watch consider Sri Lankan life worth less than Lebanese?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
You can get reports from HRW by joining here http://www.hrw.org/act/subscribe-mlists/subscribe.htm

I get their weekly report and I find it covers a broad range of areas. Whether one country gets more or less than its fair share of coverage is a matter of judgement.
Posted by rossco, Tuesday, 15 August 2006 6:51:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A very intelligent comment Pericles, you make a lot more sense than some of the others who commented earlier.

Whether or not HRW is bias, & I'll let the figures quoted in the article speak for themselves. There is another angle which builds in bias, that is, some HRW/NGO reports get a greater coverage than others. A number of media outlets are more prone to give anti-western reports coverage than others.

Following on from that, I noted in the recent conflict in Lebanon how many young gun reporters, out to make a name for themselves, were trying to out do each other re damage to civilian targets and how utterly uncritical/unquestioning the bulk of them were (the lead news story in the SBS news of 15/08/06 was a stark example-to cite only one)
Posted by Horus, Tuesday, 15 August 2006 8:47:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's funny, Horus, the rest of us couldn't help but note how many trigger-happy Israeli troops were outdoing each other in slaughtering Lebanese civilians and how utterly uncritical/unquestioning of their political masters they were.

We also can't help but note how many of you Zionist propagandists are outdoing one another on OLO in covering up their slaughter and destruction and how utterly uncritical/unquestioning of Israel to the point of delusion you are.
Posted by Strewth, Tuesday, 15 August 2006 10:08:02 PM
Who is this mysterious “THE REST OF US ” Strewth ?
You, Abdel Aziz Rantisi, Hassan Nasrallah & Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ?

I 've seem Israeli troops openly question the whys & wherefores of the war.I've seen Israeli civilians openly protest about one or other aspect of the war.
But not so much as an objective murmur or doubt raised from the other side re their position.
The great totalitarian tyrants of the past would have given their right arm for such a compliant flock.

Strewth,Strewth I must get you name right !
For some strange reason, I keep wanting to call you "MEL"...
You’re not in the movie business are you?
Posted by Horus, Tuesday, 15 August 2006 10:38:08 PM
Oh dear, Pericles, if there was ever an example of shooting the messenger that was it.

Maybe it's not what they say but how they say it that's important in these Forums.
Posted by rache, Wednesday, 16 August 2006 9:47:11 AM
"Two wrongs don"t make a right."
Which ever side you take, your team cannot win every match,or was it a battle or was it a war.
Thank got we are still living.
Posted by BROCK, Wednesday, 16 August 2006 2:27:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy