The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Wanted: an innovative Australian solution > Comments

Wanted: an innovative Australian solution : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 13/7/2006

We need to try harder with North Korea than simply repeating the old 'energy-for-peace' formula.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I think it is sad that more attention to the situation in North Korea has not be paid by the western industrialised nations.

Unfortunatley Greg, like the rest of the world, I don't have an innovative solution to this problem. I just believe it is terrible injustice that 100's of billions of dollars have been spent on securing oil reserves in Iraq, while North Korea is largely ignored.

I understand that is realpolitk, that N. Korea has little to offer, but when GWB talks about 'liberating' Iraq from a tyrant, people should think about the people in N Korea, probably the most oppressed people in the world.
Posted by Carl, Thursday, 13 July 2006 2:23:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Barnsey,
On this occassion, agreed.
Posted by SHONGA, Thursday, 13 July 2006 3:50:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is well intentioned but I think the US would be better equipped in terms of technology, money and political risk assessments to assist in North Korean coal mining.

Normally Australia provides assistance in a climate of goodwill rather than assisting a neo-Stalinist dictatorship that considers Australian an "imperialist lackey".

So North Korea would eventually tire of our good intentions and throw the aid back in our faces.

North Korea wants to be considered an important power via the nuclear route. So it is very unlikely that it would seriously wish to accept help from a little follower - lets face it.

For more on the geopolitical picture see http://spyingbadthings.blogspot.com/2006/07/north-korean-taepodong-2-missile.html

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 14 July 2006 12:04:32 AM
instability caused by north korea? who is paying this person?

when g w bush says he doesn't like you, falling bombs carry the news.

when g w bush publishes a list of governments he doesn't like:

iraq: burning

iran: coming into focus

north korea: taking steps to discourage invasion, as anyone would

i suggest g w bush is the cause of north korean sabre-rattling, and any resulting instability. events in the middle east should by now have reminded everyone that american foreign policy is being guided by simpletons under the direction of psychopaths. if you ever find yourself agreeing with these people, keep quiet lest you shame yourself.
Posted by DEMOS, Monday, 17 July 2006 4:47:11 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why don't we sell them some Uranium ?
Posted by aspro, Wednesday, 26 July 2006 12:50:00 AM
I am under the impression that White House Imperialist designs on Arab oil, as an integral part of their fantasies of ruling the world, is responsible for this current climate of instability.

GWB is a simpleton that is having a great ego boost by muttering nonsense and having the recognition as being the President of the United States, while the psychopaths cause mayhem from behind the scenes. (GWB is a puppet that is having his strings pulled by the psychopaths - Cheney, Rumsfield, Bush Snr, etc.)

Israel, currently being steered by a FASCIST goverment, is a playing a dangerous game by going along with the want-to-be Imperialist White House. It has overconfidence in the idea that no matter how much it pisses off its Muslim neighbours, the US will back it up.

It is intent on bombing Lebannon into a distant memory in the hope of PROVOKING Syria and Iran into foolishly reacting in a manner that would allow the White House to send troops to "Liberate/Democratise/Pacify" Iran while STEALING their oil reserves.

North Korea, if it has any diplomatic ties to Iran Russia or China, is being asked to demonstrate the effectiveness of their long range missiles and their capability to strike Alaska so that the arrogant and rabid White House has to defend its own oil reserves instead of planning expansion from a devastated Iraq into Iran.
cont.
Posted by Cpt Nemo, Friday, 11 August 2006 2:25:29 PM
cont.

Recent news stories of British intelligence thwarting 20 planned bombs on aircraft are purely phantom "terrorist" incidents designed to "fear-f*ck = cause an immense atmosphere of fear that allows for already draconian laws to be extended" the populations of english-speaking countries (Britain, America, Australia) to preempt rational thought and analysis of world events and the betrayal of the global community by a bunch of psychopaths and their quisling puppets lusting for power over everyone.

It is precisely the 'average man on the street' that can reason and inquire and cease giving governments automatic moral recognition that these psychopaths are afraid of, not some random "terrorist".

It is pertinent at this point to add a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin (Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety), as well as reminding people of the divide and conquer routines that are nicely summarised in a poem by Pastor Martin Niemoller:

A poem by Pastor Martin Niemoller, Berlin, 1939. Niemoller was
a pastor in the German Confessing Church who spent eight and
one-half years in a Nazi concentration camp.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out--
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists
because I was not a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me--
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I feel the power of this poem derives from how it reminds us that

* * * WE MUST STAND TOGETHER OR BE HUNG INDIVIDUALLY * * *

cont.
Posted by Cpt Nemo, Friday, 11 August 2006 2:30:03 PM
cont.

The Australian Government no longer works in the interest of the Australian people.

As such, along the lines of Gandhi's "SATYAGRAHA = SOUL FORCE",
I CAN NO LONGER RECOGNISE THE GOVERNMENT AS LEGITIMATE – either Howard's Liberal Coalition (Monkey A/Clone #1) or Beattie's Labour (Monkey B/Clone #2) political bodies with the right to determine Australian direction.

Regarding "SATYAGRAHA" - It is a form of non-violent protest where people make a, individual and personal, conscious decision to withdraw their moral support from governments and others that don't behave in a manner that the person making their own UNCOERCED decision deem appropriate.
Posted by Cpt Nemo, Friday, 11 August 2006 2:30:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy