The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Soccer, sin and supplication > Comments

Soccer, sin and supplication : Comments

By Alan Matheson, published 26/6/2006

Soccer and religion collide as God gets used in mysterious ways.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
The noble principles of sport, teamwork, fair play etc. are like those of religion, respect for fellow man, compassion, tolerance etc.
It seems that all these principles would be wonderful if ever they were applied by their followers.
Posted by Smartie, Tuesday, 27 June 2006 8:31:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I found the fact that the Brazilians were praying for "That which brings most glory to God" and similar comments, such as the Germans asking us to pray for spiritual renewal etc... exilarating !

Such prayers/sentiments are entirely Biblical and in harmony with our Lords words and life.

B4 I read the article, I had the misguided impression they were just praying for victory.

There was much to rejoice about in the article. Perhaps some would not have tweaked to it, but clearly there is a world wide one-ness of spirit and heart emerging, seeking to break down the moral barriers we have constructed between our Creator and ourselves.

I urge all readers (myself included)
to seriously consider their position b4 God, in relation to Christ, and to take to heart Pauls words in Romans 12:1-2

1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual[a] act of worship. 2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

It is followed with a bit of good advice for all of us:

"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

Let 'The World' carry on careening on its downward slippery slope to Hell, but why be a part of it ? The more of us who turn from its ways, to God, the better.

"Wide is the road and easy is the way ....that leads to destruction"
said Jesus.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Wednesday, 28 June 2006 7:23:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I sometimes wonder Boaz whether you actually read the articles published here before you use them as a trampoline for your own inimitable brand of home-town evangelizing.

>>There are prayer books, prayer calendars and prayers for multi million dollar clubs and players, but hardly a thought for the 300,000 dead and six million displaced in Darfur!

In fact there’s a pervasive silence on any kind of evil and sin, let alone the evil that surrounds a World Cup.<<

How does that sit with your twee observation:

>>There was much to rejoice about in the article. Perhaps some would not have tweaked to it, but clearly there is a world wide one-ness of spirit and heart emerging, seeking to break down the moral barriers we have constructed between our Creator and ourselves.<<

Or perhaps you chose not to read right to the end of the piece, whose last half dozen paragraphs quite comprehensively skewer the pretentious guff about the Brazilians' prayer meet that preceded them.

It is a form of intellectual blindness. You do not see the serious point made about the hypocrisy of it all, because it doesn't fit into your world view, much like those hapless South Sea islanders who, it was reported, could not see the visiting ships because they had no means by which to process the signals their eyes were sending to their brain.

Have a great day.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 29 June 2006 9:52:06 AM
Thank you Pericles, I was wondering if I had read the same article as Boaz.
Posted by Scout, Thursday, 29 June 2006 11:35:03 AM
So how does God, Allah or whatever, allow such a potentially wonderful game to go on with such fundamental flaws? Doesn’t God strive for perfection, or don’t people strive for perfection in God’s name?

Why the hell do people across the world allow the ‘beautiful game’ to be so often enraging to its devoted fans, so inadequate, so unfair?

How can God, or people in God’s name, allow a situation where single dodgy refereeing decisions can frequently decide the outcome of a game? How can they not advocate the use of remote video playbacks and remote umpires in order to get important decisions right? How can they allow the game to be so low scoring that one goal very often decides the game, and lesser teams can often win totally against the trend of play? Why isn’t the goal bigger so that the scoring is higher, so that the better team has a much better chance of winning? Why is the game, which can get really boring due to low scoring and long periods bland ball-passing midfield, not livened up, when its very purpose is to provide entertainment? And a bucketload of more questions.

It seems that either God cherishes chronically flawed human pastimes that exhibit extraordinary unfairness and frustration….. or there is no connection whatsoever between soccer and religion….or there is no God!
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 29 June 2006 11:51:42 PM
Alan Matheson,
I can understand that you may be offended by these religious outbursts, influenced from your history as a Church Minster, but there are some things that it seems you are not quite coming to terms with. These football players earn a living from their line of work. They are good at what they do and it is why they have the respect of many around the world. It is also a fact that these players have made it to the top and stay there, because of their dedication and passion for what they do. It defines them as athletes and as people, and if this is what they are earning their living off, then they wish for complete success in it. The people as a whole get actively involved with it and as well hope for nothing more than their team to win, which results in chants that have religious significance like the one you shared. We as Australians are a great sporting nation, and I take great satisfaction out of our achievements considering our population ratio. I believe you are looking too deep into matters that are not necessary such as Nike and the prostitution as the football is not at fault for it. Nike for example, is a separate business that chooses to market through the soccer. Once more I understand you may be offended at the religious references these athletes and people are making, but they mean not to be blasphemous or in any way belittling Christianity.
Posted by Epithemeos, Friday, 28 July 2006 9:29:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy