The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Duped by secular rationalism > Comments

Duped by secular rationalism : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 15/5/2006

Theological relativism has subverted all theological discussion.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 25
  7. 26
  8. 27
  9. Page 28
  10. All
Sorry Philo I can't read ancient Greek so I can't comment on vocabulary, language style and individual characteristics of each of the writers. I'm glad to see people like you keeping the classics alive. I don't know what particular claim you are referring to but I dispute the term "unresearched" although you are completely within your rights to call it "nonsense" and I will keep your words in mind when I next reach for the NT.
I will of course study any evidence you can offer as to who wrote what in the New Testament but unless you can convince me otherwise I'm sticking solidly to my opinion.
Peace and Love
Posted by Priscillian, Monday, 12 June 2006 9:25:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All the worlds religions came into being during an axial period in history, during a time of social change and reaction to what had been before religiously. These new faiths insisted people think for themselves, the truth had to be discovered by our own efforts and in our own hearts and minds.

We're facing the same problem now, the same resistance and reluctance by scholars and ecclesiastics refusing to examine the growing available evidence and change. Just Examining the roots of christian faith alone is ridiculous, as the sacred was crucial to all traditions and was an essential fact of human experience. When you consider that all the great sages of the past had insisted that transcendence was beyond definition, including jesus. This means that transcendence is beyond the neat confines of ecclesiastic orthodoxy and as such, beyond the supernatural and the personal.

As all sages have stated that god is within, then its monotheism that's duped itself into being guided by fear, not faith. Being unable to disentangle history from the stranglehold of theology, is where the fearful fall down.

Philo, you exemplify the traits of the fearful by negating what Priscillian says. Do you read and have personal knowledge of how that Greek dialect was written and interpreted. Relying as you do on dubious selective writings, again shows the amount of fear involved in having the reality of your belief exposed. The NT your read, is an interpretation, not the reality

As with religions in those days, monotheism has past its use by date in our evolutionary understanding. Humans have evolved beyond superstition and violent suppressive regimes. There's been psychological investigation's that determine religion as a gathering of sadomasochists, overlorded by the psychopaths of the belief. You see this in the works of the Sisters of Nazareth, St Vincent de Paul and the hundreds of thousands of convents and homes where children were psychologically and physically beaten and tortured by religious zealots over the centuries. Just watch Hillsong or any religious program to see psychopaths in action.
Posted by The alchemist, Tuesday, 13 June 2006 8:35:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 25
  7. 26
  8. 27
  9. Page 28
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy