The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A view from a living hell > Comments

A view from a living hell : Comments

By Bernie Matthews, published 12/5/2006

One man's story from the prison that never was.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Leigh and Robert, spot on.

When Bernie has the courage to ask himself, and answer honestly, what he did to contribute to his incarceration and whether he still believes the world owes him a living.

Trannie – yeah, from your other posts a dysfunctional response is expected.

Of course all prisoners in every correctional facility are misunderstood bed-wetters who are really innocent and the victims of a corrupt social order. Whatever !

Pattie” My point is this, it is the job of authority to protect the citizens from the criminal element. It takes great courage, discipline and patience for men in authority to lead properly, to set the example, not become the thing they hate.”

To support your suggestion to courage, Correctional facilities are regulated. I agree with the need for courage and offer the observation that such values are enhanced by the process of separate inspectorates, reporting checks and intervention balances which exist to ensure the custodians do not become like the Bernie Matthews of this world.
That said, it is also true that to maintain such standards can have a devastating personal effect on some custodial staff (mixing with bad people – and criminals are “bad people” - hardens and desensitises many) .

Leigh you first words should rank among the last words “Why on earth was this garbage published?” – maybe just GY’s sense of humour.
Posted by Col Rouge, Sunday, 14 May 2006 11:44:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Col thanks again.

Patty same to you, I'm enjoying your posts on this issue. They seem to be bringing a good sense of balance to the debate.

Dealing with those who treat society with contempt is a problem that we have no easy consistent answers for. I would not like the job of dealing with them on a day to day basis and wonder what impact it would have on me.

It is interesting to see the different emphasis that various contributers have read into this article.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 14 May 2006 7:35:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article was an insight into the prison system, not the personal life of the author no matter what we feel about him.
It is an inside view that most in society are never given any glimpse of.

We all must ask the question what does gaol do to human beings? what state will they be in when they are released into the community as a result of their incarceration? If we brutalise them, even if we feel they deserve it, what is the consequence on the whole society?

prisons don't work and statistics on residivism prove it. Increased imprisonment rates accompany increased crime rates - they have not reduced them. However circle sentencing and restorative justice does work and can reduce local crime rates by over 60% (cant remember the references but it was studied in trials in NSW and else where). These programs also give victims and their families a face to face confrontation with the perpetrator who is forced to confront the reality of what they have done and to fully understand the consequences on real people of their crimes. Prison does not support the victim, does not allow contact between the victim or their family with the perpetrator outside of the court evidence process and does not provide any healing of the brokenness that is caused by crime for the victim most importantly but no healing for the perpetrator as well, ensuring more problems in the future.

The hard attitudes to prisoners expressed in previous posts are understandable. But if we cannot get above the hurt and pain and move to healing, either in public opinion or corrections policies, we are doomed to many more brutal and sick human beings being generated for us to deal with.

The death penalty is no answer, just look at Americas violent crime rates.
Posted by King Canute, Sunday, 14 May 2006 10:23:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Canute,
I have to agree with you.
Posted by Philo, Sunday, 14 May 2006 10:56:34 PM
King Canute, you are correct in that prison often leads to more crime. It can become a training ground. While I am not a fan of religion I am a fan when religion and belief in a higher power can inspire people to live a kinder life. There are faith based prisons springing up in America. There are also programs where prisoners are put in charge of animals from local shelters. The goal of these programs is to instill empathy and conscience in people who had none. Lack of empathy, and conscience is a precursor to crime of all kinds.( Look at government corruption. ) Sorry, I wandered off topic.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. That's where courage comes in. It takes leadership to make a change in a system when it is not working. Clearly brutal treatment only breeds brutality. If we are to make the necessary changes we must not fear new ideas.
Thanks for your perspective.
Posted by Patty Jr. Satanic Feminist, Monday, 15 May 2006 4:18:30 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What it would feel like to be self righteous, critical and judgemental. Relieved, I am not one. Those fitting this description and posting negative comments regarding Bernies recollection of concrete walls and razor wire should take heed to his words. Bernie does not have to apologise, justify or defend his past or present.
My experiences with Correctional Facilities over the past 10 years have been disbelief, but moreso disillusionment.
Firstly, due to my partner being incarcerated in Queensland for 8 years. The first 6 years contained in Solitary Confinement. Two years mainstream saw little relief. Two weeks ago, again placed into Solitary Confinement. WHY?. The answer is simple. Because they can. From a partners perspective its unforgiveable what they have done to him once again.
Secondly, my son was incarcerated in the NT for 3 years. During this time, he was assulted by prison officers (screws) several times and, was placed in a situation where he was sodimised. WHY? How could they allow this to happen? The answer is simple. Because they can and do. A mothers perspective this is heartbreaking. They broke the law and have to pay their dues to society. Does this fact alone, allow the powers that be, the right to punish further? The answer is simple. They can and they do.
From the day of sentencing, THATS the moment their punishment begins. Being removed from society. The position of Correctional Service Officers-DUTY OF CARE. This I am yet to witness. Along with Rehibilitation, Reformation and Reintergration, to date I have not witnessed any such interventions.
Offenders and ex offenders DO have remorse for their victims. Self righteous, criticising and judgemental individuals who posted negative comments, choose not to recognise this fact.
One thing I have learnt, situations such as mine with my partner and son CAN happen to anyone, at any point in their life. It discriminates against NO ONE.
Sit up and take heed to Bernies words. The day may arrive when you or loved ones may reflect on Bernies written experiences and wisdom. Ultimately, surviving the so called CORRECTIONAL Facilities.
Tilly Needham
Posted by Stalker, Monday, 15 May 2006 6:13:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All