The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Spinning us to war in Iran > Comments

Spinning us to war in Iran : Comments

By Antony Loewenstein, published 15/3/2006

We are being spun a lie on Iran by Western media.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
Hey Arjay, Zimbabwe has uranium, but not very much. As an anti-nuclear campaigner of 14 years, I would like to add a few points. Iran is a signatory to the NPT (in fact it signed before Australia did, as far as I know), and its nuclear facilities have been under IAEA inspection when it was required. The Iranian administration has complied with all requests for inspections. No evidence has been found to prove a nuclear weapons program. But this does not mean that Iran is not seeking nuclear weapons.
A former Australian intelligence officer told me he thought Iran's nuclear power program "probably was" a cover for a weapons program, but this is hardly the sort of evidence needed to justify a war (the Iraqi experience notwithstanding).
I read that there are a number of questions that inspections have raised about Iran's nuclear program, and that these questions should be answered. But, I repeat, this is not justification for war.
As I see it, if the US (and others) attack Iran, the only logical explanation is that the US wants to make sure that they get their 50 year war against radical Islam, because attacking Iran will convince any last wavering muslims that 'the west' wants to destroy muslim countries so as to get their resources for free, and is quite happy if Islam is destroyed along the way.
If Israel attacks Iran, it will be an attempt to stop Hammas from getting more money from Iran (after having said they will refuse money from Europe). It should be remembered here that Iraq used to supply a lot of money to the Palestinians. And threats of a nuclear response from Israel if Iran attacks it are to be taken seriously, although I think that will backfire very badly.
Posted by camo, Wednesday, 29 March 2006 6:35:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy