The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lolita turns fifty > Comments

Lolita turns fifty : Comments

By Barbara Biggs, published 2/12/2005

Barbara Biggs discusses the book and the film 'Lolita' fifty years on.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
Pedant, please try reading my post again. At no stage have I suggested that it is OK for any adult to initiate a child into sex. One of my concerns is the very double standard which treats female paedophiles more leniently than male ones.

What I did do was admit that as a teenager I though female sexual involvement would have been good. Part of the reason that adults make the rules for children is that often children they are not able to make good decisions for themselves. If my son had the choice most of his life would be video games and DVD's, as one of his adult carers I try and manage those activities so that they are in balance with physical activity and games which involve interacting with other kids etc. Likewise his diet involves other food groups than Ice Cream and Pizza.

There is a massive difference between acknowledging that children might desire something and suggesting that it is OK or good for them.

Maybe a good reread of all the posts might be useful as you seem to be really missing the point. I'm not sure how serious Redneck is with his posts (but if he ever gets a sex change operation I don't want him teaching my son) but all of the rest of us are speaking out against adult/child sexual interaction. Some of us are making a point about the lie that says children never initiate it - very different to condoning it.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 8 December 2005 5:59:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I did not appreciate the attentions of the two ten year old girls, Pedant. I told my mother who had a blazing row with one of the girls mothers.

But by the time I was 15 it was another story. Miss McKim had a body that a supermodel would throw up her last dinner for, and she wore outfits which would make Paris Hilton blush. If she had sexually assaulted me I would not have minded one bit, and I could not have given a damn about the law. I can truthfully say that there was not a boy in the entire year 9 form who did not feel exactly the same way.

What you are implying is that if it is reprehensible for men to seduce under age girls, then it must be the same for women seducing under age boys. Sorry mate, after seeing Miss McKim, I can not agree with that. And if you are male I am surprised that you would even say it. Even the courts can see the difference. Women get much more lenient sentences than men for exactly the same offence.

Sexually mature males will usually enthusiastically bonk any obliging female of suitable breeding material that they can get their grubby hands upon. But women's sexuality is traditionally much more discerning. Because women are the ones left holding the baby. Our laws reflect this difference. This difference can be seen in western sexual terms. Promiscuous men are "studs" while promiscuous women are "sluts".

I have always thought this was very unfair. Personaly, I like sluts.

In days of olde
When knights were bolde
And women had not been invented
The men drilled holes
In telegraph poles
To keep themselves contented.
Posted by redneck, Thursday, 8 December 2005 6:18:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maximus I agree that women abusing boys is completely wrong. However, in a previous post you (maybe as a joke?) advocate sexual harassment legislation to protect gullible old men from predatory teenage girls. Do you also advocate sexual harassment legislation to protect gullible old women from predatory teenage boys? There are many "double standards" in society including the "she must have wanted it by wearing a short skirt" argument - I've never heard the "the man had stubbies on with his 'plumbers' crack showing so he must have been asking for male-to-male anal sex" argument. If I did hear it I would still say that it was wrong but it's instructive of society that I don't hear it. Probably the worst thing I have ever heard is "if a wife won't give her husband enough sex it's okay for him to have sex with their daughters and it's the wife's fault". Don't get me wrong - this situation could equally apply to a woman whose husband wouldn't have sex with her so she went on to abuse her son and this would be her fault not her husband's - it's just that I have never heard anyone say the latter thing whereas I have (unfortunately) heard the former a few times.

R0bert I read your post again. And I agree that at no stage did you suggest that it is OK for any adult to initiate a child into sex. Then I read my post again and I can't see that I have said anywhere that you say this. The only poster who said this is Redneck he is the only poster that I have said has said this (getting confusing now!). I did not say this about you. I agree that the double standard which treats female paedophiles more leniently than male ones is bad, and it's not helped by comments from Redneck and yourself that you would have welcomed an older woman having sex with you (at least you acknowledge that it is wrong, which Redneck doesn't).
Posted by Pedant, Thursday, 8 December 2005 6:33:48 PM
Hi Pedant,

I have no problem with your posts, although, not surprisingly, I do find them to be somewhat pedantic.

In answer to your question - "Do you also advocate sexual harassment legislation to protect gullible old women from predatory teenage boys?". I do not have to advocate for such legislation because it already exists - for any woman at any age. The law is blatantly sexist. No such legislation exists to protect men or boys, according to the EOC - I can provide evidence.

My point is that young women, even 12 year-old girls need to be educated to understand the serious ramifications of playful sexual behaviour. Sexual tomfoolery is normal for all pubescent kids, but teenage girls seem to be given a green light by society today to do as they please, without being taught that it can have very serious consequences.

Playing with sex is like playing with firearms. Adolescents can learn how, but they need serious discipline and adult supervision whilst doing so. It can go very wrong, very quickly. This goes for both boys and girls.

What I find disappointing is that society, the legislature, and the judiciary each appears to have such a diverse and inconsistent set of values about the matter. So where's the justice of that?

What social standards can be drawn and what guidance does it give parents, teachers and the poor kids themselves?

That's what I wish to illuminate in my posted opinions. Perhaps I fail to do so.
Posted by Maximus, Thursday, 8 December 2005 7:14:48 PM
I have to agree with Redneck - again.

There were a couple of teachers/friend's mothers who I would have loved a couple of lessons from ;-). Even as young as 13. If it had happened, I would have worn it as a badge of honour.

If a young girl looks for it at that age, it's probably more of a childish, misguided desire for her new-found romantic desires or the lack of a male figure in her life (Now that I think about it, the girl who jumped me had no male role-model in her life).

But when it comes to young males, well... I think boys from a young age just have this urge to f... I mean... keep the human race going. Like with animals, I think the male ability to sometimes distance "The Act" with emotions has a great deal to do with the fact that boys are less likely to be traumatised but such an incident. Unlike a young girl, I'd doubt that most males in their older years, would look back in absolute horror.

Occasionally you'll hear about a pair of hysterical parents fighting to imprison the older woman who raped their 14 year old boy - meanwhile he's bragging about it to his friends and skipping around the place with a bounce in his step and a grin that can't be removed. But I can see where the parents are coming from. The younger boy's new-found urge doesn't mean he's ready. I also think that an older woman who pursues a boy must have some psychological problems - and vice versa.
Posted by Space Cadet, Thursday, 8 December 2005 7:27:27 PM
Pedant, it appears that I have incorrectly read your meaning. I'm assuming that the paragraph where you refered to myself and my son was primarily directed ar Redneck. Sorry for biting on that.

I think the view that kids never initiate sexual contact is quite damaging. Apart from a general preference for truth (stay out of this MPP) I have some thoughts on possible consequences of pretending that it is never something kids want
- kids who do experience an interest in adult sexuality might think they are abnormal rather than accepting that this is just a part of growing up. Maybe even be more likely to follow through if they think their interest is special.
- kids who do something about it may either get excessive guilt or develop the view that they are never responsible for the consequences of their actions. I'm not happy with the wording of that last bit, I'll try and think how to phrase it better. I don't want kids blamed when the adult does not act responsibly.
- adults with a sexual interest in kids may find more justification with the view that that their circumstance is really unusual. A special love which the child wanted as well etc.

This list is not exhaustive or conclusive but I do think the pretence that kids are never involved in initiating low level sexual activity with adults is damaging to all concerned and may put kids more at risk for a variety of reasons.

I'm interested in why you seem so opposed to being up front about this aspect of the issue. The only reason I can think of is that it becomes easy to move into blaming kids.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Friday, 9 December 2005 10:01:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12