The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Scheyville graduates an unintended benefit of the Vietnam War > Comments

Scheyville graduates an unintended benefit of the Vietnam War : Comments

By Stephen Barton, published 29/4/2005

Stephen Barton argues Scheyville was no sinecure for privileged sons but produced a formidable cohort of men.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Magoo,
You obviously didn't read the cabinet papers released 30 years after Australia's committment to Vietnam. Although I don't dispute your recollection of your Scheyville experiences your reasons for our entry into the war are a reflection of the propaganda and outright lies of the time. The Viet. Vets Association had a great paper posted on this topic on their website but it strangely disappeared. In a nutshell, Australia's enthusiasm in rushing to Vietnam to kill people had more to do with Indonesia that anything else.
Also I recently challenged the Australian Defence Association who erroneously claim that only "volunteers" were sent to Vietnam (apparently historians say this is true, being there doesn't seem to count). I am detecting a bit of historical revisionism creeping into the record.
Posted by Priscillian, Sunday, 11 February 2007 10:16:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thought Stephen Bartons article okay. I went through Scheyville 1969 and it was tough but I thought the staff (NCOs, Captains and Majors) were excellent trainers and I sure learnt a lot about myself, teamwork, management and strategy (and military stuff!). Also made some great mates. I later got thrown into Indochina with Americans and Laotians and my views and politics grew up quick, but no regrets on Scheyville.
Posted by John Coulter, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 1:04:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy