The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An Australian way of death: voluntary assisted dying > Comments

An Australian way of death: voluntary assisted dying : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 19/3/2020

If a majority of people agree with a position, does that make it right? An Appeal to Popularity is a logical fallacy that is difficult to notice because it sounds like common sense.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Hey Spencer,

"Your response is false because of the ethics of:"

- You're dropping your marbles all over the place mate.

I said "these are not examples of people acting in an ethical manner. These are examples of 'End's justifies the means'."

And you conclude my statements are false because:

1."Hitler most definitely acted in an unethical way."
- Yes I stated that.
2. "And you have the audacity to state that this is not an unethical example of Stalin in action."
- I'm pretty sure I also stated that.

Do you think I'm unaware of the crimes of the NKVD?,
The killing room in Kiev, arms and legs chopped off for fun and blood and bodies piled up.
People being forced to eat others, knowing the next day others will eat them.
Having your guts opened up and your intestines nailed to a telegraph pole, and then whipped around the pole for amusement until you pull your whole insides out.
- Things that would make Mengler squeamish.
Being marched out into the forest to dig your own grave is probably the fate of the lucky ones, if you can call that luck.

3. "These are examples of ethics in action, leading to horrific genocide."

None of this stuff is ethics.
Again, it's just an 'End justifies the means' belief system.
And an 'End's justifies the means' belief system is the hallmark of terrorism.
Nothing to do with 'Ethics' in a true sense.

Ethics is KNOWING the difference between right and wrong.
Morals is how you act upon this knowledge.
Know the difference.

You seem to conflate 'Ethics' as one particular persons belief system, which it's not.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 25 March 2020 9:53:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
God Can Protect You From COVID-19
http://youtu.be/lzT8nmKf_gY

This is the second example I've found within the week.
I can argue that there's a pattern forming here.
Do only Non-Christians get Coronavirus?
(They don't as we saw in South Korea, but I digress)

Why are Christians promoting an ideology which is certain to have a negative and detrimental impact to others?
Do they think causing harm to others will get them into heaven?
This is how their religious ideology is flawed and twisted.

Does anyone want to try and argue with me that these people ARE NOT 'Leaving it up to God', as I alluded to earlier.
Even worse they're promoting an ideology that Christians are immune to Coronavirus.

I bet the Christian people in South Korea decided after everyone HAD contracted COVID-19 that it was 'God's Will', did they not?
- As I alluded to earlier.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Argue on a basis of merit that your religious belief system IS NOT a danger to others.

And whats Spencer with his moralities and righteousness got to say about it?
Nothing, because it's an inconvenient truth.
He's got his fingers in his ears and loudly speaking 'LAlalalalalalalalala - I'm not listening'
(That's what my little sister did when she was 8)

I'm sure he'll be swinging defensively with accusations regarding some weird baseless technicality, then start quoting verses, and then more verses to give credibility to the earlier ones.

C'mon Christians, doesn't anyone here want to argue on a basis of merit that your religion is a beacon of light and hope, of morals and righteousness and NOT a clear and present danger to the rest of society?

I don't think any of you can.
The facts speak for themselves.

And you think you have the answers to all of life's problems?
You people are so lost you can't even follow the golden rule.
'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'.
- You lot really can't even make it onto first base.
Sad really.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 26 March 2020 11:35:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Armchair Critic,

<<Why are Christians promoting an ideology which is certain to have a negative and detrimental impact to others? Do they think causing harm to others will get them into heaven? This is how their religious ideology is flawed and twisted.>>

This is irrational reasoning. Some of the most beneficent actions world-wide and for centuries have come from within the Christian community.

Even atheist/agnostic Richard Dawkins acknowledges this, 'There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline of Christianity, in so far as Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse', http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2018/march/leading-atheist-dont-celebrate-decline-of-christianity-in-europe

I will not respond any further to your ridiculing of me.
Posted by OzSpen, Friday, 27 March 2020 9:19:10 AM
"This is irrational reasoning. Some of the most beneficent actions world-wide and for centuries have come from within the Christian community."

I'm not talking about being deliberately and openly harmful to others;
I'm talking about actions that are harmful to others through Christians willful ignorance.

Christians 'Leave it up to God', making the choice themselves to throw all care to the wind, i.e. 'Man's Will' and then attribute the bad outcome as being 'God's Will' instead of their own, when their choices were the direct cause of the outcome not anything that should be attributed to God.
I've got 3 examples now.

1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-18/the-scots-college-hosts-assembly-amid-coronavirus-fears/12064148

The woman who sends her child to school (leaving it up to God)
SHE sent the child to school - It was HER will i.e 'Man's Will'
And then should the child get COVID-19 -Then it would be 'Gods Will'.

2. God Can Protect You From COVID-19
http://youtu.be/lzT8nmKf_gY

3. Margaret Court's Church Says 'The Blood Of Jesus Will Protect Patrons From COVID-19'
http://10daily.com.au/shows/10-news-first/perth/a200313pjxng/margaret-courts-church-says-the-blood-of-jesus-will-protect-patrons-from-covid-19-20200313

These are actions that are likely to have a negative and detrimental impact on others, i.e 'harm'.

Can't you see this?
What is irrational about it?

What I'm demonstrating here is that Christians ideology or belief system shows a distinctive pattern of exhibiting actions that are likely to result in causing harm to others.

These actions are not consistent with the idea meant by 'Do unto others'.

- Unless you'd like to instead try and argue that being infected with COVID-19 by someone else's willful ignorance is how YOU would like to be treated?
Good luck with that, I invite you to try if you're foolish enough.

Are you saying you believe these actions are consistent with the Golden Rule and that this is how you'd like to be treated YES or NO?
And would you be willing to swear your conviction to this matter on the Bible?

I'm not really sure you're capable of reason or arguing issues on a basis of merit Spencer.

- Well, you can lead 'em to water, but you can't force 'em to drink -
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 27 March 2020 10:57:45 PM
[Cont.]

I'll tell you what, I'll teach you a lesson.

The lesson is this: 'Doing nothing IS A choice'.

Pretend you're driving down the road at 80ks and you hear this glug-glug-glugging of the wheelnuts as your rim is about to come off, potentially sending you and your loved ones into a fatal accident.
Do you do nothing and ignore it?
Do you 'Leave it up to God'?'

Or do you thank God for giving you a brain with which you can figure things out for yourself and pull the car over and tighten the wheelnuts up?

You could keep driving.
And when you wake up in hospital and one of your family is deceased whilst 2 others are in critical condition, do you tell yourself it was 'God's Will' you found yourself in the hospital, or your own fault ('Man's Will') for being ignorant and dismissive and throwing all care to the wind.

'Doing nothing IS a choice.'

Have a good weekend and stay safe.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 27 March 2020 10:59:29 PM
Here's another free lesson Spencer,

If you ignore and dismiss 'Arguments that hold merit'

You will not be well-grounded to make rational judgements.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 29 March 2020 8:07:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy