The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Edward Presgrave and the Boer War > Comments

Edward Presgrave and the Boer War : Comments

By Peter Curson, published 11/10/2019

Many young Australians denied enlistment because of age, and excited by the prospect of defending the British Empire, made their own way across and sought enlistment in an irregular unit.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
AC wrote : "Is that your argument or a tantrum?"

Neither.... Its my observation.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 13 October 2019 9:28:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter, a great article. I had no idea that as many as 16,000 men formally enlisted. Many of us brought up in Hobart remember a touching story. Overlooking the Domain, where the Dawn Service is held, is a life-size bronze statue of a soldier going off to the Boer War in uniform and with pith helmet, looking down the Derwent River. It's set on a carved sandstone plinth. Every year on a certain day someone would lay a single red rose at its base. It was long assumed that it was a woman whose fiancee had sailed and never returned. Then, I think in the 70s, the rose was no longer placed there. My father, who was born in Hobart in 1906, was well acquainted with the story. Warren Reed.
Posted by Warren Reed, Monday, 14 October 2019 3:38:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey mhaze,
Maybe I am a little bit overly conspiratorial;
Or maybe you lot are all just a little bit too naive.
http://vault.fbi.gov/adolf-hitler/adolf-hitler-part-01-of-04
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 14 October 2019 9:11:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy