The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Parasitic and irrelevant: the university vice chancellor > Comments

Parasitic and irrelevant: the university vice chancellor : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 26/9/2018

Sir John Monash 'quit in frustration, famously declaring that he found it easier to organise an army on the Western Front than to run a university'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The general theme here is that a University doesn't need a leader. Perhaps. But the uniqueness of that proposition would surely require its full justification. The best reason would be that it succeeds without one whereas other earthly institutions cannot. That's where the debate really starts. Are Universities succeeding now? What does 'success' mean? How does one know? Whose assessment counts? Would a good leader make a difference? Unless those questions are addressed the views of an insider count for little, especially as he or she is conflicted, no doubt happier to pursue a career without the kind of interference mere mortals in the rest of society must endure. In case there are doubts, I'll toss in a few of my own views. Universities persistently exaggerate the economic relevance of their inventions and spur unjustified expectations. Academic educationalists create fads that bedevil schooling. The apparent levels of intolerance amongst scholars and students are a blot on academia. Pursuit of students as sources of income endangers academic standards. I'm confident others will add to this list. Which leaves the question, would a good leader at V-C level make a difference? Yes.
Posted by TomBie, Wednesday, 26 September 2018 9:38:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Parasitic and irrelevant: the university vice chancellor

When I made an uncanningly similar statement quite some years ago I was called every derrogatory term under the Sun.
These people earned $600,000.00+ then. For what I asked. I never did get an answer.
Nowadays we have CEO's in puny little local Councils on 400+/year. Again I ask, for what ?
That ABC sheilah that just got shown the door was I believe on 900+/year.
I really don't exect anyone from their ranks to tell us why they think they're worth that much.
Even the staffers that former PM Turnbull gave a $28,000 rise never told anyone what that was for.
Meanwhile Centrelink screws the genuine & rewards the hangers-on as does the ATO.
PM Morrison was one of the architects of this appallingly unfair system. I just hope that now that he calls the shots he'll re-think some of it. He'd better because his job depends on coming across as being sensible & fair.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 26 September 2018 10:16:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sounds very much like a perfect and preferred job description for the very next ABC CEO? Or even better, a very lifelike puppet on a government remote control!?.

Endlessly repeating we here at the ABC or wherever, care about you and what you think!? Your views and welfare are very important to us!?

Just like the government in Canberra and expressed most sincerely as they play musical chairs with their leadership?

Or was that Russian roulette? Hahahahahaha.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 26 September 2018 10:50:17 AM
The main thing that irritates me about universities and their overpaid staff is that we, the public, pay for them. All universities and other publicly owned educational institutions should be sold off. How politicians can turn essential services like water and energy over to the private sector but cling to education and keep pouring our money into it - for increasingly poor results - is beyond reason.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 26 September 2018 11:36:17 AM
ttbn - You are going to be very popular now with this statement Quote "All universities and other publicly owned educational institutions should be sold off."

Firstly most Primary and secondary schools are publicly owned, I will forgive your ignorance there. What do you recommend we do with all the children?

So lets look at Universities, are you aware that they are Australia’s third largest export industry, probably not, they contribute $22.4 billion to the Australian economy.

Quote "overpaid staff" where is your evidence to support that statement?
Posted by Philip S, Wednesday, 26 September 2018 12:46:35 PM
Quote "overpaid staff" where is your evidence to support that statement?
Philip S,
Where's your evidence that they're not overpaid ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 26 September 2018 10:30:52 PM
individual Are you for real or just sucking up to ttbn?

Stupid comment of the week award is for you for this comment.

Philip S,
Where's your evidence that they're not overpaid ?

ttbn made the comment "overpaid staff" so you are okay with his unsubstantiated claim.

Please activate brain before applying fingers to keyboard in future.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 27 September 2018 1:15:38 AM
Being underpaid was the reason for this promotion of university enterprise.
Ex UNE chancellor found corrupt over country pub deal: ICAC .2014.

Former University of New England chancellor John Cassidy behaved corruptly over the sale of a university owned-pub, an anti-corruption body has found. The agency said it was satisfied that “Mr Hendry would not have submitted a tender for the hotel without believing that Mr Cassidy would ultimately become his partner." In fact, ICAC said, quite apart from Mr Hendry having been Abigroup’s chief financial officer, the two men were fellow directors and shareholders of Vercot Pty Ltd.
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 27 September 2018 5:07:27 AM
Philip S,
I seem to recall another thread where you haunted me to no end for an explanation to a remark I made because of your refusal to accept the answer I provided.

You, on the other hand can't even tell if people you defend are worth what they're getting paid. By the looks of it you're one of them hence no disclosure.
As my old friend used to say "Intellectuals are largely ineffectuals" in a sense of usefulness.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 27 September 2018 6:37:07 AM
Individual You have a very low understanding of the English language if you think asking someone to provide proof of a statement is an admission of defending a particular entity, to wit the one the question was about.

As for your answering the question you claim you were haunted about, you did not answer it because the question was not about the thread it was posted on.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 27 September 2018 11:14:45 AM
Philip S,
I think you're confusing academic quibble jargon with English.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 27 September 2018 7:55:39 PM
No, but at least I know how to answer someone.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 28 September 2018 12:12:18 AM
By comparison:
"However, while the resources available to the US top private institutions can mean that they dominate the upper echelons of university and college rankings, the best public universities in the US should not be overlooked. Most public universities in the US are state universities, operated by the state government, and are often grouped into “systems”.

Every US state is required to have at least one public university, although some of the larger states may have many public universities. Such institutions will often offer discounted tuition for in-state students.

Columbia University president Lee C. Bollinger made $US3,389,917 in 2012, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute president Shirley Ann Jackson — made more than $US7 million that year.

Recently:
Lee C. Bollinger (Columbia University) — $US3,389,917
Amy Gutmann (University of Pennsylvania) — $US2,473,952
Richard C. Levin (Yale University) — $US1,375,365."
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 28 September 2018 6:06:43 AM
UCLA best public university. UCLA's president CEO Gene Block ($454,574) Au 630,000.

The 2nd public university is Michigan. UM President Mark Schlissel is the university's sixth highest-paid employee, earning $823,523 in 2017. Au 1,142,000.

As part of its commitment to child care, UCLA has established a preschool child care facility at University Village. It provides services for nearly 200 children through two programs – UCLA Child Care and University Parents Nursery School. The president , Gene "pop" Block is often seen with the kiddies reading story-books and interfering with his female staff .
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 28 September 2018 7:27:48 AM
No, but at least I know how to answer someone.
Philip S,
Yeah, in the standard evading jargon kind of way. You're the perfect bureaucrat.
Posted by individual, Friday, 28 September 2018 10:01:33 PM
individual Quote "You're the perfect bureaucrat." Very droll.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 1 October 2018 11:08:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy