The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A concerned politician's guide to donations reform > Comments

A concerned politician's guide to donations reform : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 26/10/2016

The latter part of this essay will argue that this distortion of the democratic process by private wealth cannot be reconciled with a principle the High Court has recently found to be implied in the Constitution.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
The single largest donors and the ones with the most obvious special interests are the unions. They control the labor party directly to facilitate their criminal activities and extortion.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 9:58:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While one might agree with most of this and indeed, the high court's determination. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for either side of politic to embrace real reform in this area?

And as a consequence, we're likely to have the very best democracy money can buy along with the most moral politicians/incorruptible paragons of virtue? EverReady to put the interests of the nation ahead of any and all personal considerations, partisan politics, or the party?

Walkies Betsy? God dog. Now where did I leave that white cane? What was that? Those hearing aids cost thousands and yet I can't hear a blessed thing! Wadda ya mean? Mumble, mumble rhubarb? No need to shout! I'm not completely deaf!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 26 October 2016 4:30:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NOT DONATIONS - BRIBES!
Posted by mikk, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 4:54:46 PM
Thank you Max for your clear exposition of this complicated area.

I note your conclusion that the implied freedom of political communication has been in effect re-stated along with the implication that: "...all citizens must be treated as having equal worth...".

Hence your suggestion that this opens the way for potential reform on the vexed question of "political donations" should politicians be willing to do so. However, like many others, I won't be holding my breath. In the overall context however, I think you are correct to point out the need to avoid the situation in the US where unlimited amounts can be given to individual candidates.

As an example of this, consider the following quote from the New York Times in January 2015: "The political network overseen by the conservative billionaires Charles G. and David H. Koch plans to spend close to $900 million on the 2016 campaign, an unparalleled effort by coordinated outside groups to shape a presidential election that is already on track to be the most expensive in history." See the link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us/politics/kochs-plan-to-spend-900-million-on-2016-campaign.html?_r=1

An interesting corollary to this is that the advent of Donald Trump has apparently led the Koch brothers to begin "...reevaluating their approach to politics." See link below.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435418/koch-brothers-campaign-activity-slows

And see also:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/05/the_koch_brothers_were_supposed_to_buy_the_2016_election_what_happened.html
Posted by Pilgrim, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 5:43:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy