The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Clexit Founding Statement > Comments

The Clexit Founding Statement : Comments

By Viv Forbes, published 2/8/2016

If the Paris climate accord is ratified, or enforced locally by compliant governments, it will strangle the leading economies of the world with pointless carbon taxes and costly climate and energy policies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. 18
  14. 19
  15. All
In other news, Mhaze seems indifferent to massive hits on agriculture, farms and homesteads being washed away, lives being lost, and real estate being threatened. But hey, what's a trillion dollar hit on the insurance industry every year? Oh wait, that's the very industry that says they might not be able to cover the statistically noticeable increase in extreme weather events. What was that about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit?

"Being a big business, the insurance industry is a strong backer of free enterprise and its laissez-faire leaders. But a rift could be developing now that some major carriers are staking claims in the climate change cause while many of their congressional backers have remained skeptical of the science.

For insurers, it’s not about the political machinations but rather, it’s about the potential economic losses. If even part of the predictions hold — the ones released by the Intergovernmental Panel On Climate Change that ascribe temperature change to humans with 95 percent certainty — then the rate of extreme weather events will only increase and the effects would be more severe. That, in turn, would lead to greater damages and more payouts.

“The heavy losses caused by weather-related natural catastrophes in the USA showed that greater loss-prevention efforts are needed,” says Munich Re board member Torsen Jeworrek."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilverstein/2014/05/18/rift-widening-between-energy-and-insurance-industries-over-climate-change/#54f2f5b075ee
Posted by Max Green, Sunday, 14 August 2016 1:24:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Max, I was unable to reply as I had run out of posts.
You said; Sorry, but before I bother with yet another link from
yourself, you really owe me the courtesy of checking out the link I
supplied up thread about the ice ages.

I tried that link several times but all I got was Not found.
That is an unusual result for Firefox, but just tried again with the same result.

Not much more to say if you did not read my reference.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 14 August 2016 3:41:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mhaze, it does sound more pleasant when the term "wet micro bursts' is used to describe people being killed, houses and cars being washed away, businesses having stock ruined, crops being destroyed, and live stock being killed. It is a bit like when innocent people are killed by military forces the term "collateral damage" is used. The term "rain bombs" fully explains what's going on.

The President of Clexit: Monckton, has been shown to misrepresent climate science papers.
Monckton, and other deniers miss out information in graphs that do not support they're views.
The reference provided, invited people to go to original studies to view what has been left out. See above video references.
Posted by ant, Sunday, 14 August 2016 6:00:40 PM
Hi Bazz,
sorry if that link didn't work.
This one is probably better.
It's the "Temperature leads carbon" crock. It responds to the accusation that it's been warmer before, as if climatologists are completely unaware of what actually causes ice ages and then warmer interglacial periods.
It's about 11 minutes of youtube, and quite entertaining and good graphics to illustrate what's happening, and much more consumable than the paper I was asking you to read.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrvrkVBt24

I read your article. It's the typical peaknik doomer stuff I used to push, and is easily debunked. Oil can and will be replaced as we move quick smart to long term, sustainable nuclear with a high EROEI and incremental returns. France deployed 75% of their grid in 15 years, and we can charge over 80% of today's driving as EV's on the existing grid! Unused off peak night-time electricity is already 'spare', and could charge about 45% of today's car fleet.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/

Elon Musk has opened Stage 1 of his Gigafactory for super-efficient bulk manufacturing of lithium batteries for EV’s! The world in 2014 produced 30 GW lithium batteries, but Elon’s factory will produce 50 GW a year from 218, and 150 GW per year in the 2020’s. Elon plans to be selling 1.5 million EV’s a year by the 2020’s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GBnJNLoBuw

And that's just him. There are other car companies making big plans to go electric: Elon's worrying them. With his EV's coming down to $35k, other companies are trying other means to beat even that price. Expensive electric cars will not have to be purchased, they'll be HIRED by us on a transport plan, much like a mobile phone plan, because they'll be super-cheap robot-cabs with no salary to pay to any driver. Telstra's chief scientist says human driving should be ILLEGAL in 14 years!
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drive/will-driverless-cars-rule-the-road-by-2030/7683344

Ultimately, consumers will be the winners.
Posted by Max Green, Sunday, 14 August 2016 7:03:54 PM
IPCC AR5:

"In summary, the current assessment concludes that there is not enough evidence at present to suggest more than low confidence in a global-scale observed trend in drought or dryness (lack of rainfall) since the middle of the 20th century due..."

"There is limited evidence of changes in extremes associated with other climate variables since the mid-20th century”

"Based on updated studies, AR4 conclusions regarding global increasing trends in drought since the 1970s were probably overstated."

“In summary, there continues to be a lack of evidence and thus low confidence regarding the sign of trend in the magnitude and/or frequency of floods on a global scale”

"there is low confidence in observed trends in small-scale severe weather phenomena such as hail and thunderstorms because of historical data inhomogeneities and inadequacies in monitoring systems”

Always believe the peer-reviewed science...unless it doesn't tell you what you want to hear. In that case go with the self-interested assertion.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 14 August 2016 7:20:57 PM
You reading the same report I am?

"Changes in many extreme weather and climate events have been observed since about 1950. Some of these changes have been linked to human influences, including a decrease in cold temperature extremes, an increase in warm temperature extremes, an increase in extreme high sea levels and an increase in the number of heavy precipitation events in a number of regions. {1.4}"
Page 7
https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/syr/AR5_SYR_FINAL_SPM.pdf

It continues: "There are likely more land regions where the number of heavy precipitation events has increased than where it has decreased. Recent detection of increasing trends in extreme precipitation and discharge in some catchments implies greater risks of flooding at regional scale (medium confidence). "
Posted by Max Green, Sunday, 14 August 2016 9:18:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17