The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Focus on enabling those Aboriginal people who are in most need of support > Comments

Focus on enabling those Aboriginal people who are in most need of support : Comments

By Sara Hudson, published 15/2/2016

Patrick Dodson has argued that the Closing the Gap policy should be scrapped, as has Professor Jon Altman.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
The Aboriginal Services go out into their Community & stir up the gullible. That's how they keep their lucrative jobs. They do a dam good job of it too especially on the Drunk, Drugged up, brain dead City ones & their Flags, Signs & filthy language. The ones that have been living in the cities since 1788, their Parents, were doing OK & would have been doing even better now. We have the highly Educated Aboriginal CEO's to blame for this latest lot of misfits. Since the 70's the City Aboriginals have gone backwards stirred on by the Aboriginal Services CEO's for their own gain.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 15 February 2016 7:53:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wow JayB, I didn't know you were so knowledgable about Aboriginal services?
When was the last time you spent time with their staff?
I would have thought you wouldn't be anywhere near them...
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 15 February 2016 8:37:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you read my earlier Posts you would know I have a lot of Mates in the Aboriginal Services in various places. Townsville, Mackay, Rocky, etc,. That's where I get my information from. Dearie. Besides I have a lot of Aboriginal mates from my Army days & some of them greet me excitedly when they see me in Townsville, which isn't often these days. I Just lost a dear one the other day. Harry Mimi. He had more than 600 phone calls from past mates in the 2 weeks before he died. He was infamous around Rocky & well liked. Lot's of Abo & Islander mates from the Railways too. I've been remembered fondly I'm told last time I was up that way.

So SOL you're outa line here 'cause you wouldn't know & you futile assumptions are so wrong.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 15 February 2016 9:13:27 PM
JayB, I wonder would these so called mates still be that keen if they knew how you talked about them on this forum?
Would you call them Abo's to their face? Dearie...
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 2:15:11 AM
Hi Suse,

“And let's be honest here, how many jobs for Indigenous people are out there, even after they have had a Uni education Loudmouth? Unless they are going for jobs at the Aboriginal Medical Service, or the Aboriginal Legal Service, they wouldn't get a look in against non-Aboriginal applicants.”

Hey, that's MY point. I've railed against the funnelling of Indigenous graduates into Indigenous units and programs, like it or not, for many years. Back around 1989, at the Uni I was working at in Indigenous student support, the senior management released some funds and asked for proposals. I wrote up a proposal for an Indigenous Employment Placement Officer, to monitor finishing students and line up positions for them, and to keep monitoring their fortunes to make sure their employment wasn't short-term.

Of course, that idea got knocked on the head, totally ignored in fact, probably because the powers that be were in education, not employment, so the proposal probably baffled them. Clearly also, even at that time, when most Indigenous students were enrolling in mainstream courses, they would be likely to seek mainstream employment, which was a no-no for Aboriginal 'leaders', tantamount to treachery.

So yes, I remember a lovely young woman who had graduated in Secondary Science Teaching and when I approached the education department about employing her, they were terribly regretful, bitterly sorry, etc. etc., but there weren't any Aboriginal secondary schools in SA, so sorry, piss off. She got a job as a social worker.

On the other hand, I recall some companies, and the Engineering Union, getting in touch to ask if there were Indigenous graduates coming out, who might be interested in cadetships.

So there's a huge task for any fair-to-middlingly competent Aboriginal 'leader' [supposing such exist] – to devise long-term programs, and appoint staff dedicated to find employment for any trained Indigenous people, in the fields that they have graduated in and make sure they aren't spat out after the funding

[TBC]
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 10:41:07 AM
Loudmouth, they are all absolutely MY points :)

What is the point in the government forking out big money in scholarships putting all these Indigenous students through Uni if it is just for show? Are they saying 'hey look at us giving education to the poor Aboriginals, aren't we fabulous?', when they know damn well that the odds of long term employment in their chosen field is low?

When I was working in Aboriginal health, I met a young bright female Aboriginal health worker who spent her days chasing elderly Aboriginal clients in the community to remind them to take their medications. She had two degrees under her belt, including psychology, but was truly downtrodden after spending 2 years trying to find a job in her chosen field. She never even got to the second interview stage.

We can't just focus on providing 'Aboriginal-friendly Employment' because a lot of these people don't want those sort of jobs. They want to be considered for any job, just like everyone else that is qualified from Uni or Tech colleges.

Mostly, I would think it is long term preconceived ideas of Indigenous behavior that precludes them from many jobs, which is inherently racism.
Again, I don't know what the answer is...
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 11:18:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy