The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Burqas, biology and the Islamic reformation > Comments

Burqas, biology and the Islamic reformation : Comments

By Phil Dye, published 3/12/2015

Progressive Muslim women from Australia may be perfect to lead the way to forge a 'New-Testament' Islam.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. All
Would someone like to put forward an explanation for the nature of the burqa?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 3 December 2015 1:28:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'. While I may think that nearly all of these systems are devoid of common sense, some are more palatable than others. Islam'

and this from an educated man. I would say more like one bound to blind secular dogma totally devoid of any moral base to make a rational decision. Phil displays a total ignorance of the old testament being ignorant to the fact that believers in Jehovah God and His Son have brought more freedom to mankind than the big bang beleivers. Phil turns a blind eye to see that secularism has led to massive drug use, gross immorality, promotion of perverted lifestyles, teenage suicide, emasculating of the male population.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 3 December 2015 2:30:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are increasingly sensitised these days to pervasive, oppressive and violent misogyny around the world, but we are at the same time confronted with the historically novel prospect that empowering women has the potential to produce a seismic shift in favour of human wellbeing. So I can understand why Phil Dye should be speculating in this OP that progressive Moslem women could become increasingly instrumental in influencing interpretations of Islamic theology, and it could just be that demographic and secularising factors may assist the process:
http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/humanisms-rise/.
Posted by lasxpirate, Thursday, 3 December 2015 5:46:00 PM
Mr Opinion,

The burqa exists to hide from the world the lousy choice that the groom' parents made for him, it also exists to give the fat and the ugly a decent chance in life.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 3 December 2015 8:38:08 PM
//Would someone like to put forward an explanation for the nature of the burqa?//

They're designed to make people look silly. It's a common theme in religions the world over. The tonsure haircut, the mitre, the habit, payot, burqas, saffron togas etc. are all designed to make the wearer look daft. Which just goes to show that religious people do have a sense of humour.

The only ones with any dress sense are the Mormons, although their tendency to dress in uniform and the fact that you never encounter a solitary Mormon is a little creepy... I reckon Mormons share some sort of hive mind.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 3 December 2015 10:19:11 PM
//Have a go at the Burga all you want but leave my shirt and trousers alone.//

Your shirt and trews are fine - if wikipedia is correct, they're pre-medieval. You can still wear shirt and trousers, and I can still wear my preferred casual attire of thongs, loincloth, cloak and stag antler headdress without upsetting anybody's delicate sensibilities. Because this is Australia and people should be free to wear what they want to wear. As long was what they want to wear doesn't come from the medieval period.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 3 December 2015 11:08:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy