The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Despair and social disease > Comments

Despair and social disease : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 14/9/2015

My difficulty is with the idea that we as a community can simply decide to end violence in the home.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I have yet to hear or read anyone asking the question, "Why are people becoming violent?'
I have yet to hear or read that women are as violent as men and are also to blame. (reputable research says they are)
I have only heard that men are always the violent ones attacking poor innocent women who have done nothing whatever to deserve it.
I have only read or heard that men must be taught, men must learn, men must modify their behaviour.
I have never heard that women must modify their behaviour, or learn what makes their man mad, or do anything except to continue as always, making him so upset he wants to strangle her.
As for this post...what nonsense to imagine that organised religion that's been around for a couple of thousand years has the answers to a problem that has surely existed for at least a hundred thousand years.
When people look to the reasons for violence with honest eyes, and accept the reality of our society's embrace of profit over decency, of consumerism over rationality, of belief in supernatural gods instead of reality, then perhaps solutions will appear.
Posted by ybgirp, Monday, 14 September 2015 8:54:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
EmperorJulien, I agree with the punishments you gave in your post.
The days of any more talk-feasts on this issue are over.
Just get on with putting the perpetrators away in jail, rather than looking for excuses anymore.

ybgirp, when we have deaths every week from women killing their current or ex partners, we can talk about blaming the women of society even more than is already done. Stop blaming the victims. If one man bashes another man to death, do you blame the dead man? Or do you think that killing someone else for something they said or didn't say, without trial or jury, is acceptable behaviour?

No one has ever said that ALL women were blameless in all these domestic violence situations, but that doesn't mean we should go on accepting all their deaths.
I agree that any talk of bringing any more religion or gods into the equation will make not one bit of difference, as domestic violence doesn't discriminate between religions or gods or atheists...
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 14 September 2015 11:08:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"If one man bashes another man to death, do you blame the dead man?" depends on the circumstances but most will often recognise that the victims choices may have played a role in the outcome. Much of the don't blame the victim rhetoric seems to be word games to help an agenda rather than an honest attempt to do what might reduce risks.

If I was to choose a fight with a thug and got hurt I'd not receive the same support as I'd expect if I'm an uninvolved passer by and get assaulted.

As a male who is not fond of being on the receiving end of a bashing I don't play with "bad boys", I know that sometimes I need to keep my mouth shut and walk away unless there is some compelling reason worth my life to stick my neck out. I don't hang around with bikies, ice addicts etc.

There is a strong perception in a lot of mens minds that a lot of women prefer the bad boys, especially when younger and maybe have not learned the downsides of that yet in the debate about DV I'm not hearing any sign of a message that exposure to violence might be in some way linked to partner choices.

I'm not hearing politicians asking whats going so wrong for some men that killing an ex then themselves seems like the best option available to them.

I'm not hearing politicians asking how many men suicided over the extremes of our family law and child support systems or how many of these deaths of women came about at least in part becuase of those

No easy answers to any of this, no society that I'm aware of has ever been free of it's thugs and those who want to be with them. Some we won't get to, for the rest speaking against all violence, finding ways to reduce the fascination with bad boys and working towards fairer outcomes from our legal processes are all steps that seem to be ignored.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 6:53:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Suzeonline,
Imprisonment is the worst possible ‘solution’ to all criminal activity; it usually makes the perpetrator worse, and has proven to encourage recidivism. Alternative methods that attempt rehabilitation are much more successful. And if we follow your advice and never ask the reasons for the violence, then that will destroy everyone’s faith in the ‘justice’ system.
Your claim that searching for reasons for violence is the same as blaming the victim is too, too absurd; no different from the Jewish notion that asking questions about Israeli policies is anti Jew.
You ask if I think that killing someone else for something they said or didn't say, without trial or jury, is acceptable behaviour? I ask you if it is acceptable to imprison someone on the word of the victim, without trial or jury?
You are right, no one has ever SAID that all women were blameless in domestic violence situations, but the fact that the reasons for violence are never demanded, means that men are condemned without asking why, and that implies that women are blameless.
Posted by ybgirp, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 8:53:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The man who hits out at his wife and children nurses a great ball of disappointment and resentment and self-hatred that cannot be cured by education or even self-awareness."

Most abusers of children are women.

Half of all adult domestic violence is mutual. Of the remainder, slightly more than half is female-on-male.

When a man is violent towards a child, it is typically not the child's father, but the dirtbag mother's dirtbag boyfriend.

The safest place in the world for a child is in the arms of his or her natural father.
Posted by PaulMurrayCbr, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 2:58:02 PM
Paul, whilst the points you make are valid I do think to be seen to be fair it is relevant that child abuse rates are skewed by the relative time kids spend in the care of either parent.

I've not seen recent material on it but when they used to publish rates for substantiated child abuse happening in single parent led homes the rates per child in those homes were only slightly less for male led households than female led ones and that could be put down to the demographics of male led single parent households.

Also those step dads are often dealing with a very different situation to actual dads. Stuck in the middle needing to deal with the extremes of children's behaviour without any authority to implement strategies to alter those behaviours. Stuck in a situation where they may be a ready target for other parts of the family looking for someone to lash out at. An easy target for kids trying to manipulate the other parent. There are some real vermin who have done a lot of harm to kids but I suspect there are also a lot of people stuck between a rock and a hard place in dealing with difficult situations to stay with a partner they really value.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 5:19:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy