The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Shh! Ladies, no laughing! > Comments

Shh! Ladies, no laughing! : Comments

By Andee Jones, published 4/8/2014

It is easy to forget that not until the twentieth century was the mother’s equal genetic contribution to the child understood, and even then only among the educated classes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
@Suseonline, Monday, 4 August 2014 2:59:15 PM

LOL, nice little drive-by and you get your pay-off. You should try walking for the same effect, but positive.

I can get a bit cynical about organised religion too. I often wonder if it is the Roman Catholic Church that should be credited with the development of feminism since so many ardent feminists, particularly of the radical lesbian ilk profess to be ex-Catholics.

Still, having many women friends who managed to survive Roman Catholicism and are normal happy people even if a bit scarred by the experience, I can see why the feminists might screw it all up into sexual hate. It was probably the convent school education and the nuns who cruelly dealt with them and twisted their sexual development, but they are right to blame the holy fathers who directed.

However those priests were just as cruel to boys and sometimes more brutal. I know that from some of my male friends.

It is strange isn't it, that women were always the strength, the promoters, enablers and the bulwarks of the Church of Rome. Islam is the same. Strange isn't it? In both it is the women, the mothers particularly who teach and confirm the religion, and the way of life, in the home. The women are up-front making the children and the father as well, attend church. Is that because women value order before most things? Is it the predictability and conservatism and the dose of superstition that many women like?

Complex stuff isn't it and no wonder feminists are always so angry. However 'men', as in the large majority of men out there did not do it to you and very likely they were victims themselves.

Hey, you can still do your angry, scolding humiliating gigs for attention and to get that shot of hormone. Your choice. Not sure that keeping that bag of past hurts it is any good for your ticker though.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 4 August 2014 3:54:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'But I guess she wouldn't be allowed to, under the rules. So we'll never know. '

Oh Pericles I can tell you after 30 years happily married your narrow dogma is exposed exactly for what it is. Anyone with any delusion about feminism only needs to look back to the previous Government.
Posted by runner, Monday, 4 August 2014 3:57:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To add, I was never a Roman Catholic, but those convent schools weren't all bad. Many should be credited with delivering education to a high standard and particularly in music.

In a country area I received excellent music tuition from the Presentation Sisters. That I wasn't a Catholic was not a consideration, the Sisters delighted in anyone who had ability, the will and discipline to practice. My girlfriend who was also not a Catholic and with whom I performed duets in Eisteddfods went on to perform in Europe where she still resides.

I am not sure if the particular college was always run by the Presentation Sisters, but I can vouch for the usually very caring if always strict boarding and day schooling for the girls I knew there.

The only criticism I could make in hindsight of the nuns who taught music was that they had restricted life experience through recruitment at an early age. Although they appeared wise in other ways.

Some balance is always required in life.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 4 August 2014 4:29:57 PM
Suse, I have no idea what Turkey is really like to live in. Most places are much different behind closed doors, to what the sign out front indicates.

Fact is, the only thing my lady used to do that annoyed me, was to refuse to take part in decision making. It was not even to be able to avoid the blame if results weren't great, she just preferred to have someone else make her decisions for her.

It took 20 years, but now she wants to run everything. I have no idea what I am doing most weekends, until she tells me. When there is something I actually want to do on a weekend, I have to make a booking well in advance, or I'm likely to find I'm booked for something else.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 4 August 2014 5:09:41 PM
Worth Viewing (one minute in) Q&A Germaine Greer "You've Got A Big Arse, Julia..." http://youtu.be/8lFtww1D3ss

After praising Julia's political skill No.1 Feminist's most memorable point is female fashion advice.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 4 August 2014 5:12:12 PM
I'm not sure of the grammar here, runner.

>>Oh Pericles I can tell you after 30 years happily married your narrow dogma is exposed exactly for what it is.<<

My narrow dogma was never married, let alone happily.

But I would have been more impressed if it had been Mrs runner who responded. But I guess she couldn't leave what she was doing. After all, those front steps don't wash themselves, do they.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 4 August 2014 5:14:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy