The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The humanities in Australian universities > Comments

The humanities in Australian universities : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 27/2/2014

The ideological preferences of many staff make it impossible to pursue truth for its own sake in Australian unis today.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 27
  7. 28
  8. 29
  9. Page 30
  10. 31
  11. 32
  12. All
Hi Jottiikii,

The first thing you have to understand is that good old Squeers has long been an aspiring passenger of the Humanities gravy train, and from this little self back pat -- "Being an experienced tutor"!-- It looks like he's finally scooped himself a ticket. So you could hardly expect him to criticise the hand that feeds.

Now a couple of words on the comments Squeers made:
You (correctly) noted: "WHY do I never hear a feminist discussing women and oppression in most of the non-western world and how often culture and tradition of an unenlightened and unreasoned people is responsible?"

And Squeers (predictable)tried to deflected it with: "Well unless you have your omniscient ear cocked, around the globe, for this kind of discourse, you're unlikely to. Where do you get your information "

Well if Mr Squeers had been watching his esteemed ABC's Q&A the last time --no sorry, eight episodes prior to her most recent appearance --he would have observed Germain Greer doing he usual anti-white male rant.But when thrice presented with the opportunity to criticise the treatment of women in the middle east, she thrice declined --and the ABC compare let her get away with it.

But Squeers did give us one eliminating piece --and it's this [QUOTE]
"I find conservative resistance far more prevalent"
Place heavy emphasis on "Ï FIND"

And this little comment takes the cake ...I mean, gravy ...as a bit of Humanities style reasoning "A recent study found the ABC is not biased" DOH! that proves it then, ay!
Posted by SPQR, Sunday, 16 March 2014 7:17:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you SPQR.

I have had on my eBook for some time, having never got around to reading it. Australian Universities: A Portrait of Decline. By Donald Meyer. I have read up to the Forward at this stage. I be looking forward to what he has to say.

No comment on ME, African & Asian Humanities papers? Too hard? Not Acceptable? It's a White-man thing?
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 16 March 2014 8:44:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a migrant to this country, who grew up and attended primary and secondary schooling in melbourne's western suburbs and thus always had friends from all corners of the world, what has always struck me is the total inauthenticity of the typical humanities student, teachers, tutors and professors.

When examining European hegemony over the last half millenia, there are two possible perspectives. The first, is that there is something uniquely evil, racist and supremacist within the character and culture of Europeans which is absent in The rest of the worlds' people. The second, that had any other people's, from Africa, Asia or anywhere else, found themselves in a similar position of advantage as the Europeans, they too would have behaved in virtually the same supremacist manner and attempted to subjugate the world.

The humanities of the last 40 years in western university's is entirely informed by the first perspective and is violently opposed to the second. Thus informed, the humanities are hijacked by a people fixated on a quest to unearth every evil, real or imagined, of the European type. This is the postmiserable condition and the postmiserable school of thought which inspires colonial studies, indigenous studies, feminist studies, identity politics and political correctness.

Should you question any of the many irrational ideas which emanate from this crusade, the indoctrinated postmiserable will always frame the critic as a European supremacist and themselves as the owners of compassion. In other words, no criticism is permitted. The irony is almost beyond belief, that in order to defeat the European black/white mind, they need adopt a black/white censorship.

This latte sipping compassion which condemns indigenous Australians to museum pieces and the rest of us to corporatopia has abandoned is a disease of the mind.
Posted by YEBIGA, Sunday, 16 March 2014 11:43:11 AM
SPQR,

I've mainly tutored in English Literature and the resistance I alluded to was around an "obscene" text based on homosexuality and drug use; resistance and even refusal to engage with it. Homosexuals and drug users are part of our society, they're represented in popular and artistic culture and their texts are as valid as the Bible to a literary critic.
Despite the ignorant consensus here, no one I know proselytises, neither is the curriculum left-wing. Canonical literature, history etc. are simply made to compete with other cultural forms for academic consideration. Importantly though, canonical stuff still get's priority.

Yebiga,
more of your errant nonsense. You seem to fit in nicely with JayB and SPQR. Maybe you should get some white hoods and start terrorising academics.
Posted by Squeers, Sunday, 16 March 2014 12:08:55 PM
Squeers

Our culture has never had any issue with gay literature or feminist, or any identity.

Your self deception knows no end.

Off you go find another cause, deflect and enable your compassionate superiority. Why you would think the whole humanities department was full of mother Theresa's.

When your ready to talk about principles, then we can have an adult conversation.
Posted by YEBIGA, Sunday, 16 March 2014 12:40:01 PM
Squeers: You seem to fit in nicely with JayB and SPQR. Maybe you should get some white hoods and start terrorising academics.

You want me to run around the Uni. like one of those Spanish Monks. That'd be a laugh. Maybe I could be naked underneath the robes.

Squeers, I'm not against the study of the Humanities. I just believe that people studying Humanities should have to pay for your hobby like I have to pay for mine. The Teachers should only be renumerated by the cost of the Course as in any Hobby course. The Humanities should be down graded to a T.A.F.E. Course.

I often wonder why the Left always protests vigorously over any mistake, accident, bad behaviour or atrocity committed by Western Armies & NEVER complain about the deliberate atrocities committed by the people they are fighting on their own people. As shown by the many demonstrations by Left Wing, Greenie Uni. Students.

How do the Humanities explain that, or will they. Is it a form of Racism by a White/Anglo/Saxon Faculty?

No comment on ME, African & Asian Humanities papers either I see.

& Please don't link me with Piorot/YEBIGA or potential Terrorists. How insulting. I should complain if you don't answer the questions.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 16 March 2014 12:56:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 27
  7. 28
  8. 29
  9. Page 30
  10. 31
  11. 32
  12. All