The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Emasculating the public broadcaster: Tony Abbott and the ABC > Comments

Emasculating the public broadcaster: Tony Abbott and the ABC : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 10/2/2014

In democracies, nominal or otherwise, governments still demand a degree of compliance from their state broadcaster.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Jardine,
Good point, what's more if you let the public pay for, produce and run their own media you get authentic diversity in programming, look at channel 31 in Melbourne, they have everything from LGBT current affairs to hot rod restoration programs and fundamentalist Christian sermons .
http://www.c31.org.au/tv-guide/index/day/today
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Monday, 10 February 2014 7:17:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why don't any of you guys cite OLO as a model of what the media could be?(Please add multiple question marks, the fascist censorship algorithm forbade my attempt at punctuated irony).
Posted by GrahamY, Monday, 10 February 2014 10:51:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For a supposedly educated person to use terminology such as "tow the line" instead of the correct "toe the line" prevented me from reading further. I already had the gist of this anti-conservative diatribe by then (and that was pretty early) so I stopped reading. Lefties should learn basic English, and learn to use it before trying to shoot down their hated enemies. Then, at least we might pay attention. But maybe they don't use English at Cambridge ... or RMIT. Who knows?
Posted by Captain Col, Tuesday, 11 February 2014 1:08:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Captain Col, we all make mistakes whether left or right in our OLO E-Mails, as one ages ones ability to spell correctly becomes harder, even if spelling correctly in earlier days, it has nothing to do with the "left" brigade as you mention, also many people who have never typed before, and now have to type, hit wrong keys etc and do not check their work after typing.
Perhaps you are a person who is a master at every thing you do, but I daresay not, so don't critisize other people, we enjoy reading left or right opinions whether the spelling may be incorrect. Get a life, there is more to worry about than incorrect spelling in this war mongering world.
Posted by Ojnab, Tuesday, 11 February 2014 10:16:11 AM
If we are going to emasculate the ABC, one of the things we must do, if we are to survive, can I apply for the job with the scalpel. I can think of more than a few overpaid deadheads it would be real fun "doing"

I have experience, with quite a few colts & calves, in my horse & cattle breeding period.

I'm with you Ojnab, I have always been more interested in what was being said, than in the how, or the spelling, although I do find those ABC ladies who insist in talking about Moun tiser rather painful.

Didn't they have a minimum standard of elocution in the old days? I suppose they had to drop that to bring in all the reffos.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 11 February 2014 11:03:57 AM
‘morning Wolly B,

You asked << What ever happened to the idea of freedom of speech? >>

Answer as posted earlier.

“The ABC has the ability to draw the conversation into what it sees “defensible”. These include freedom of the press, persecution, bias, politics, authoritarianism, censorship and the evil Murdock empire, these are their stock-in-trade, the high ground they can defend with rhetoric.

They have issued the call to arms to the likes of Binoy and his "fellow travelers"

How’s that “fellow traveler” role working out Wolly?
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 11 February 2014 11:48:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy