The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Carnival > Comments

Carnival : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 21/1/2014

Driving on Australian roads can be like a bull run of red and green 'P' plates.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
<< Improving mentality is the answer and one way of improving it is to allow people more responsibility and one way of doing that is to get rid of some of the ridiculous speed limits. >>

Is Mise, there is certainly plenty of scope for changing stupid speed limits. Where I am right now there is a glaring example of a dumbarse speed limit: Military Road, Mosman, Sydney – 60kmh… with lots of traffic lights, parked cars, pedestrians and all manner of other stuff. Then you turn into Middle Head Road, which has far less traffic, far less stuff going on all around you…and the speed limit drops to 50!

I don’t think giving people more responsibility is the answer. The problem is the irresponsible d!ckhead factor! Even if this is only 1% of drivers, it is still one driver in a hundred…. and you pass many hundreds of drivers on any average trip.

The answer is to implement a much better regulatory regime so that the irresponsible fraction is made to do the right thing, or else cop serious consequences, rather than just face the very tiny possibility of copping consequences.

<< highways… with broken centre lines in blind corners …straights with car concealing dips, crests with broken centre lines … roundabouts with pretty vegetation in the centre that stops one from seeing entering traffic... >>

With all this sort of stuff the public should be implored to get involved!! We should be encouraged to report anything that we think is inappropriate or that could be improved, in the interest of road safety!

It really is quite atrocious that not only aren’t we the public implored to do this, but if we do we really do get a very poor reception, from the police, Departments of Transport, local councils and whoever else might be involved. This is another thing that I have had the misfortune of testing out for myself!

It is not just the police that are quite dismal authoritative personnel.
Posted by Ludwig, Thursday, 23 January 2014 9:37:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy