The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A sane view on the 'climate change' issue > Comments

A sane view on the 'climate change' issue : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 24/5/2013

The Oklahoma City tornado brought forth a few excited claims that this was all due to 'climate change', but even IPCC Chairman Pachauri has pooh-poohed that notion.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
It's a long slow process convincing fanatics, Don, and we all need patience, but I think we've turned the corner. Certainly the people whose decisions actually matter are starting to see the folly of pursuing Green medievalism. When the AGW movement finally collapses it will be a triumph for genuine science and common sense over popular hysteria, and a tribute to the growing power of the Internet to disseminate inconvenient truths.

Hopefully the next Grand Folly that comes along will take less than thirty years to deflate.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 24 May 2013 7:32:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jon J,

Looks like no more convincing is needed? I've just looked around that corner you mentioned and I like the view.

“EU Leaders Back Shale Gas Revolution, Roll Back Climate Policy

Europe’s plan to decarbonise its economy by 2050 could be turned on its head at a summit today if EU heads of state and government sign off on measures prioritising industrial competitiveness over climate change in draft conclusions seen by EurActiv.

The draft text says that EU policy must ensure “competitive” energy prices, and declares it “crucial” that Europe diversify its energy supply and develop “indigenous energy resources” – a reference to renewable energies, but also coal, nuclear power and shale gas.

One high-profile German MEP Holger Krahmer (ALDE), hailed the end of “climate hysteria” in a jubilant press statement.”

EUobserver 22 May 2013
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 24 May 2013 10:22:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And yet News Ltd has a story in today's online edition that tells of the urgent evacuation of a 16-strong crew of a drifting Arctic research station after the ice floe that hosts the floating laboratory began to disintegrate.
The floating research laboratory will be relocated to Bolshevik Island in the Russian Arctic.
And this before the northern summer has even kicked in.
I for one am very grateful that global warming is apparently proceeding much more slowly than was generally anticipated. It will give us that much more time to adapt
Posted by halduell, Friday, 24 May 2013 11:42:03 AM
AGW is a scientific fact. If Europe wants to ignore this it is at a global cost. Wanton European ignorance/arrogance does not obliterate scientific fact.

I continue to be amused by the claim there has been no warming trend for 15 years. The was a very large spike in 1998 that a continuing warming trend has not yet subsumed, but inexorably will. This is akin to the share-market index gradually surpassing its last pre-bust peak.

Of course, in 2002 the hiatus claim was 5 years and in 2008 it was a 10. Compared to 14 years, or 16 to 30 there's a large
increase. The fact is, global temperatures are not in hiatus which many observations such as shifting land and sea climate and bio-zones attest.
Posted by Luciferase, Friday, 24 May 2013 12:04:33 PM
Were there any climate scientists who categorically stated that the Oklahoma tornado was caused by AGW?

What a great experiment...let's raise the atmospheric C02 beyond 400ppm and see what happens.

We should all put our feet up for fifty years and see how high we can get it (apparently by then we'll "know much more about climate and its causes and effects...")

Yeah, knowledge is a great thing - like CO2 being a heat trapping gas in the atmosphere. I wonder what else we can learn and ignore because of economic imperatives.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 24 May 2013 12:30:32 PM
Poirot,

<< I wonder what else we can learn and ignore because of economic imperatives? >>

“Instead of the blooming green economy promised by political leaders and activists, Europe is facing a competitiveness crisis and an economic nightmare, with almost 27 million people out of work and many countries facing bankruptcy. According to Austria’s energy regulator, European consumers have subsidized renewable energy investors by a staggering 600 billion euros since 2004. In most EU members states, energy prices have skyrocketed while millions of families have been forced into energy poverty. Public protest against the growing cost of going green are forcing lawmakers to renounce support for costly policies that are hurting ordinary families”. --Benny Peiser, Calgary Herald, 16 May 2013

Ah yes, those pesky economic imperatives. The odd Trillion dollars just to support your selfish ideological mantra and that our children and grandchildren will spend much of their working lives to repay, you mean THOSE economic imperatives?

I guess if you continue to support comments like;

<<AGW is a scientific fact. If Europe wants to ignore this it is at a global cost. Wanton European ignorance/arrogance does not obliterate scientific fact>>

Then I guess you wouldn’t care much about someone else’s Trillion dollars being sucked out of their economic future?

The last bastion of CAGW, the EU, is imploding. Perhaps we could all have a whip round on OLO to get you a one way ticket to Europe so you can put them straight
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 24 May 2013 4:36:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy