The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > So we agree we have a problem, so what? > Comments

So we agree we have a problem, so what? : Comments

By Raffaele Piccolo, published 6/5/2013

Alcohol problems always belong to someone else, even though they affect us all.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I'm sorry folks, but I have to strongly agree with Rafaele. We do have a real problem. Unfortunately the stable door has been opened and the horse has well and truly bolted.

A couple of years ago, I had occasion to spend many days attending the court in Moe, Victoria. Not the most prosperous town and probably has a higher than average consumption of alcohol. There were many domestic violence cases, all related to the abuse of alcohol and/or drugs.

I would suggest that those who deny there is a problem, should take themselves into their nearest city nightclub district in the early hours of a weekend morning. There you will find a plethora of drunks of both sexes out in the public places.

I rest my case.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 4:23:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
most of the comments are coming from people who have never been to casualty hospital department or even a morgue on Friday and Saturday nights. Not until a drunk kills their kid will they have enough sense to arise from their denial. Having had blood splattered over my front door from drunks its not a pretty sight. As long as many of our sporting 'heroes ' act like pigs and continue to get away with it we have no hope of a cure.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 4:49:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Liquor advertising should be banned as more lives are ruined by it than by tobacco, and how we have come down heavy on the latter! Heavy taxes just like tobacco should go toward training more medical people to deal with the problems alcohol causes. More education including having reformed alcoholics visit schools to tell of the hell they went through. Video of lives damaged permanently by alcohol/drugs. Billing people for police time wasted and hospital time wasted on victims of binge drinking. Don't allow alcoholics to get a liver transplant ahead of other people who did not self-inflict.
Furthermore drink driving penalties are way too soft. Should have mandatory loss of license for a year.
Close pubs and clubs at 10 like it used to be.
Posted by rodnatious, Tuesday, 7 May 2013 6:45:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy