The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Beyond propaganda – more school funding or school funds better spent? > Comments

Beyond propaganda – more school funding or school funds better spent? : Comments

By Scott Prasser, published 5/7/2012

An across-the-board approach to reducing class size has been a costly policy, and one that has not translated into a commensurate improvement in overall student outcomes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Hasbeen, you have a very valid point - and one that is backed up by evidence that could have been cited in this article.

Class sizes ALONE make very little difference (check out what John Hattie's broad research has revealed on the matter) - but smaller classes do have potential to enhance learning. The problem is that many teachers have continued to do with their small classes the same things they did with their bigger classes. I teach a remedial class of eleven students, and have helped them to develop their skills and achieve at a higher level than they did in larger classes where they were 'lost in the crowd'. I don't pretend to be a better teacher than my predecessors, but I certainly don't employ the same teaching methods I use with classes of twenty-seven or thereabouts. The key here (in my opinion) is that employers have come to the party by providing opportunities for reduced class sizes. Teachers need to meet that commitment by adapting their pedagogy to take full advantage of the opportunity given to them.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 5 July 2012 7:57:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy