The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Absurdity and truth: the passing of Václav Havel > Comments

Absurdity and truth: the passing of Václav Havel : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 21/12/2011

In certain countries, theatres do not merely hire half-starved performers to act out the writings of half-starved writers. They also launch revolutions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
“In certain countries, theatres do not merely hire half-starved performers to act out the writings of half-starved writers. They also launch revolutions”.

Binoy, you don’t mean somersaults?

Humanity does revolve but it seems to find itself standing exactly on the same old feet whence it stood.

Nothing has changed since the first Heroes-Kings and nothing will change.

One will be president; one will be on a university chair, one will be on a rubbish truck, one will be waiting for the mortician and so on; but forget revolutions.

All you will see, if you can tear the veil from your eyes, is stupidity and arrogance and wasting.

We dream of revolutions, but forget on waking up, when breakfast is one of our body’s needs.
Posted by skeptic, Wednesday, 21 December 2011 11:16:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This article's a bit cryptic, in terms of its politics, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree, sceptic.
I don't know much about Havel's work but I do about the absurd, and deism and the absurd seem like contradictions-in-terms to me.
Binoy Kampmark seems to be talking about what Raymond Williams(borrowing for George Gissing) called "negative identification", a kind of radical narcissism wherein the charismatic projects, or sublimates, his own "starved passions" onto a popular cause. No real conviction is invested, just flamboyance and eccentricity--a hallmark of absurdist characters, who are the nub of the joke--think of Becket's "Endgame", wherein the traumatised court-pieces agonise over their pointless moves in an endless stalemate. The absurd is the trauma site of the fall of the ego after all and one can see the incongruity of Havel's Miltonic (Satanic) reprise of the fall.
The divinity of the human is precisely what's been lost and Havel seems then to have failed to appreciate the real lesson of absurdism.
My concern would be that Binoy Kampmark seems uncritical of the State and its legitimacy. The State is not the democratic ideal it ought to be and its interventions are more in the nature of efficiencies than humanitarianism.
Posted by Squeers, Wednesday, 21 December 2011 9:14:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy