The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abbott's ascendancy puts women's choice at risk > Comments

Abbott's ascendancy puts women's choice at risk : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 27/10/2011

Abortion is a battleground in US Republican Presidential Candidate Race. Could this happen here?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hay Kingy, perhaps you could explain to me why our wonderful Labor lot, & you it seams, are claiming Tony Abbott is the boogeyman who made their Malaysia plan fail. It would seam to me that they should first look at their coalition partners the Greens, & their leader the wonderful Bob Brown.

Surely it should be their coalition partner they should expect to vote with them, supporting their policy, not the opposition.

Yes I know, they couldn't lie straight in bed, & you are sounding a bit the same. If it doesn't spin, they can no longer understand it, but please, put the blame where it belongs, & drop a bit of the unproven ideological attacks.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 27 October 2011 6:48:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza

I find your comments indicative of your expectations about PMs of this country.

You've only compared Abbott with PM's. You haven't compared Abbott with other opposition leaders or dumped leaders ... Latham, Beazley, Crean, Nelson, Turnbull and of course Rudd.

And why be sexist about it? Don't you regard either of the current Labor PMs as worthy of comparison as leaders either?
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 27 October 2011 7:05:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen
Believe it or not I'm not some muppet who can only think in binary about Liberal vs Labor- especially considering I've slammed Gillard in every post I've made.
Truth is, current Labor is complete rubbish too. They have not been able to pass ONE single promised policy and hold onto it for more than a few weeks, and as I said, both Gillard and Swan clearly haven't a clue what they are doing.
And the fact is, BOTH parties are to blame for our border fiasco;
-Gillard's non-Lib border policy was garbage, definitely, and both parties used the issue to try to sabotage the other rather than solve a gaping legal hole in our border protection policy.
Having said that, the Greens would not have been able to make an impact in parliament or senate by themselves.
The fact is it WAS a good proposal, and both parties became too petty to support it;
What does that tell you?
(the answer is they're both dangerously incompetent and don't care one bit for the policies as much as trying to dupe the other party for personal gain- even if it costs Australia our border protection policy)

Juliannutter;
Quite right; all those listed are rubbish too sadly; The lot of them are dodgy as race cars- especially Turnbull- whose only virtue is being able to spin well enough to make the other mugs in parliament look silly in debates- which is actually a bad thing for the country.
Rudd was/is a reasonable leader of reasonable competence, but he has so much mental baggage and poor attitudes to several of his duties I would only vote for him if he specifically pushed for several issues I demand, retracted his "Big Australia" advocacy, and the only alternatives were the other people you listed.
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 28 October 2011 9:04:18 AM
Pro-abortionists have had decades to get their act together on limiting abortions. Instead they've increased dramatically over the years. Bottom line is, you've had your chance to fix it and you've failed miserably and made the problem worse. Soon, there will be a new sheriff in town with a different approach to stopping this barbaric process, and everyone will be better off as the most oppressive message our society can send to women is that they need to abort their own baby in order for them to live.
Posted by progressive pat, Friday, 28 October 2011 1:28:08 PM
@Progressive Pat
I have never heard of anyone in "society" telling women they must abort their babies in order to live. There are occasions on which doctors have to give that message to pregnant women.

I'm not a "pro abortionist." I don't know anyone who is. Pro choice is not the same thing as pro abortion.
Posted by briar rose, Friday, 28 October 2011 5:54:08 PM
Well said Briar Rose. I too hate the idea of abortion, and doubt I could ever have had one myself. However, I would still fight strongly for any other woman's right to have an abortion if she chooses.

We don't want to go back to the 'good-ol-days' in Australia where desperate women tried to do their own abortions, or they went to dirty backyard abortionists, and died nasty deaths.

I am with the author in that I too have severe misgivings about Abbott having anything to do with the top job. I don't care that maybe other members in his party may not agree with him about his religious/moral views, I am still worried that he may wield too much power.

I would vote for Liberals in a heartbeat if Turnbull was back as leader though.
He is a very bright, well-spoken man, and I still don't understand why they chose such a poor public speaker over him.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 29 October 2011 2:52:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy