The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother: review > Comments

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother: review : Comments

By Helen Hayward, published 18/4/2011

The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother upholds parental discipline but is more nuanced than you might believe.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I believe that each child has his/her own strengths and weaknesses and thats what we should concentrate on with regards education.

The common thing that each child should be taught is respect, how to communicate, and that all decisions have consequences.

Its the namby pamby civil rights citizens who have stuffed up our society. Children (and adults) no longer have to take responsibility for their actions.

Parents and schools are no longer allowed to show strong dicipline. Each child must get a prize.

The world is a harsh place. We have to be parents, not friends with our children. Children need boundaries.

"what does not destroy me, makes me stronger"
Posted by searching, Sunday, 24 April 2011 7:29:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
as i read the article a bit more. Which was a long article. I can understand about the western parent. not as a parent but as a child of parents. Yeah i agree that probably that parent got taught that way to discipline her child, because her mum did that to her. And the Chinese parent doesn't know another way. even though if some1 tells her that it's not ok what you are doing. she wouldn't listen, and also that parent grew up in another error of time too. And if that parent doesn't know education then that's worse. Take it from me e,g. I come from a Greek background a westerner. And my parents don't know much education and my mother can be very strict on me even though i am 34 year old. Which in an Anglo way it can be different a bit more freely. not alot but bit.
Posted by mars77, Sunday, 24 April 2011 8:56:06 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy