The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australian liberalism: the rocky road ahead > Comments

Australian liberalism: the rocky road ahead : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 14/4/2011

Extreme positions are not the hallmark of real world political philosophies.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Chris, maybe we can start on local competition.
Posted by Dallas, Friday, 15 April 2011 6:29:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dallas, that is an excellent issue to start on, in fact i cannot think of any issue more important.

I am sort of stumped about how best to fix this one, as many are.

The US tried low interest rates, and gave licence for sub-prime loans; what a disaster. Some market economists have a point in noting the effect of artificially low interest rates, and the need for boom periods to be offset by busts, rather than large scale disasters.

I note that in the 1950s and 1960s, govts even considered importing houses.

Any ideas yourself about how best Aust can meet its housing needs?

I feel the best policy solution will be some king of public-private partnership, yet even this is not working in Australia.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 15 April 2011 6:47:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dallas, misread your past 2 posts.

I am talking about housing, not local competition. Sorry.

However, interested in your thoughts, and any other on this one.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 15 April 2011 6:50:31 PM
Is that affordable shelter Chris ?
Posted by Dallas, Friday, 15 April 2011 7:13:04 PM
Chris,
It irks me that you summarily disparage theory, as if practice was remote from it, or theory was aloof from practice. If all you're interested in is micro-economic reform and you think that's practice, rather than subservience, I'll leave you to it. The "marriage" of theory and practice is surely more effective than divorce.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 15 April 2011 7:26:04 PM
Lets play spot the nimby
Posted by Dallas, Friday, 15 April 2011 7:29:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy