The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Democracy and the polls > Comments

Democracy and the polls : Comments

By John Töns, published 6/9/2010

The Independents have been handed a poisoned chalice; no matter which way they go they run the risk of this being their last term in government.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I would probably disagree with these 3 Independents on a whole range of issues. But at least we know where they stand. A lot more than can be said of our other politicians.

On that fact alone, I would be inclined to vote for them if I were in their electorates.

Also, not much uncertainty left as in my opinion the two main parties differ very little on economic, social, education, environmental etc etc policy positions.

http://www.currentglobalperceptions.blogspot.com/
Posted by jorge, Monday, 6 September 2010 4:48:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would say that the people generally have voted for their believed prefference of the major parties, but really don't have much faith - if any, on their integrity, intelligence or courage to ignore the decision makers and fanatics that seem to destroy any good decision they happen to come up with. If there is another election, and when it does happen, I hope that these clots who just pick a party, and become a fanatic of it, will change their norman procedure and go onto the internet and look for true history regarding our country. If you do a bit of studying, and another election comes up in about 6 or 12 months time, you have have gained a better insight into, if your party has been performing as good as you have been believing.
Posted by merv09, Monday, 6 September 2010 8:33:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come off it folks? Tony Windsor said yesterday, or the media claimed
he said it (media sharks are having a great meal at our expense/gullibility) that one of the Independents would have to reverse his decision otherwise they would end up with a 75 - 75 result, and back to the polls. And no pollie wanted to go back to the polls. And both parties didn't wish that on themselves. As one poster remarks we could end up with the same result.

Now the present situation is 74 for ALP and 73 for Tony Abbott's team. I would say (and sums ain't my strongest point) that means 2 added to Tony Abbott's team gives him 75 and one to Julia's is 75.

The three party division is tribal in my opinion. But we vote for the person we feel will work best for their electorates needs.
The Greens and ALP asked for preferences to be exchanged. They did
and the 3rd person got those preferences if they were knocked out.
There is still one electorate in doubt. In Victoria. Maybe they
have closed it now, but yesterday it favored ALP? But there were more votes to be counted than the then difference.

I bet the Independents go for Tony Abbott. That would satisfy their
electorates too, who favor the Coalition.
Posted by Bush bunny, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 1:08:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From the mindless chatter it is obvious that none of the commentators or the author of the article are interested in democracy, which has potentially been handed to those independent members of parliament quite accidentally. Through their actions in the parliament they can exercise, gasp, representative government. This is contrary to the constitution but practically possible here and now.

What I read that you folk want is some form of the usual benign dictatorship, strong certainty that is force-fed to you, whilst you don't have to make any decisions for yourselves.
Posted by deadly, Thursday, 9 September 2010 12:30:51 PM
deadly: I am not thick - but have difficulty understanding your point. I say this with great respect by the way. Freedom of Speech.

The 'now' opposition are screaming 'that the government has no right
to rule? Well it has now. 'As WE got more votes than them 2PP. (NO! They didn't! Check out the AEC recent update of today)

What this serves to substantiate, is that the Opposition on a false
premise as having gained more votes, suggests they wouldn't have been
a good government with that attitude and were hoping to go back to the polls.

If this had been allowed to happen with a 75 - 75 split, Tony Windsor
said The coalition thought they could win, well they might not have
or we could have ended up with the same problem. Months down the line
without a government, when the country's standing Internationally and from a monetary or functional position could have been greatly undermine, irrespective of whom got the right to govern.

Not only that the cost of a new election. The Independents made a sound decision. And have not automatically given the ALP a mandate
or saying they would automatically vote for bills proposed by either
party. They will vote on their merits to benefit their electorates firstly.

And I would say let's hope the ALP keep their promises on parliamentary reform and funding to regional areas. If they don't it will again become a bun fight in parliament house.
Posted by Bush bunny, Thursday, 9 September 2010 1:50:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy