The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > No Cheap EVs Anytime Soon

No Cheap EVs Anytime Soon

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
A leaked report by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries has forecast that cheap electric cars are at least a decade away. Only 14% of mainstream new cars sold will be electric by 2030, and only 21% 3 years into the next decade; unless you can afford luxury models: 60%-70% of those sales will be EVs.

The cost of EVs will remain high because of the cost of technology and the vast mineral resources required to make battery packs.

Joe Blow will be left behind, with the cheapest electric cars 50% dearer than petrol equivalents.

The report makes a mockery of the political claptrap being bruited about. There is no grasp, it says, of the technical challenges by the "special interest" groups making wild claims about the expected proliferation of EVs.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 31 July 2022 12:30:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just 3 years ago I could buy the battery for most of my remote control planes for A$5. Currently they are A$20 for the cheapest version of the same battery.

I really doubt the EV revolution will grind to a halt once people realise that a second hand EV is virtually valueless as the cost of the replacement which will be needed soon in even a 5 year old car, is greater than the cost to buy a new ICE car.

With the current threat of blackout [load shedding, or demand management to avoid the fact] in the UK due to their stupid windmill policies, will charging of EVs be allowed to take precedence over domestic use of the power? Only an idiot would buy one at the moment.

In fact anyone who has to rely on a vehicle for transport would be well advised to buy & restore an old carburetor car, as at least they can be powered by a wood gas generator, as used during WW11, as our fuel supply, & our electricity supply could be seriously challenged with our new government love affair with renewable, [unreliable] power generation, & out petroleum coming from Singapore.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 31 July 2022 4:34:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I remember reading about a strange phenomena in the marketplace of electric cars (specifically Teslas) a few months ago.
Teslas that were a few years old were selling on the second hand market for more than brand new ones. Bizarrely, their cars appreciated in value instead of depreciating rapidly like normal cars and the sellers were making a profit.

The reason why, according to what I was reading, is because the global demand for Teslas (and electric car in general) has exploded over the last few years. So much so that even given the selling price increases for new Teslas (as much as 30% on some models I believe) the demand has vastly outstripped supply and consequently the wait times for a newly ordered cars is now many months (past a year on some models). So some people will pay more for a 2nd hand car in order to have it sooner rather than wait for the production of a new one.

PS: it should be noted that this article was writing about a foreign country's market- no idea what the situation is like in Australia.
Posted by thinkabit, Monday, 1 August 2022 3:49:32 PM
Thinkabit in the Australian market my ICE Honda S2000 has appreciated from $30,000 a few years ago to somewhere near $60,000.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 2 August 2022 9:53:25 AM
You not comparing apples to apples Hasbeen.

Your car is no longer produced so new supply can't increase. So one would naturally expect the price to go up if demand was steady*.

However, Tesla's are still being produced- in fact the rate of production is rapidly increasing. And yet the price of second-hand cars is exceeding that of brand new ones. Nothing like this has ever happened before as far a I know.

In fact I saw a YouTube video a few months ago that said that the number of EV's on order globally was in the low millions (I think it was 2 point something- can't remember exactly) and they claimed that this was more on order than for all other sorts of car at any point in history! (This by-the-way, is why I dead against government subsidies for EV's. It will do nothing but increase the price, there is no demand problem for EV's. Subsidies won't cause more EV's to be sold as the economically illiterate greens imagine it will.)

The switch to EV's is happening right now, not 10 or more years in the future. It's happening whether you like it or not.

Personally, I actually like it, though not mainly for environmental reasons. But because, in my opinion, they're better cars generally. I drove one a few months ago and they're really nice cars to drive- real zippy and quite. Also, they're more convenient: you just plug them in at home and charge overnight. The plugging in bit takes mere seconds as you leave the car, about the same amount of time it takes to plug in a kitchen appliance. No more stuffing around going to the servo to fuel up! (You probably have to charge them a more often than you would go to servo, since most don't travel as far on an overnight charge as comparable ICE cars do on a tank of fuel - but in total you save time: plugging in the car twice at home is still vastly less time than refueling once.)

** continued below **
Posted by thinkabit, Tuesday, 2 August 2022 11:14:00 AM
** from above **

There is also typically less maintenance on an EV, since there are no motor oil, oil filter, spark plugs, etc. replacements and way less brake wear (EV's can use regenerative braking- which significantly reduces brake pad/rotor use).

* In addition to this is the fact that you're talking about a long time span on a decades scale while the Telsa situation is spanning just a couple of years. So there is inflation to consider- and inflation accounts for a larger proportion of the price increase of the Honda than for the Tesla.
Posted by thinkabit, Tuesday, 2 August 2022 11:15:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy