The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Why free speech warriors from both sides should wish Jordan Shanks well in his court case.

Why free speech warriors from both sides should wish Jordan Shanks well in his court case.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
As many will know the comedian Friendly Jordies aka Jordan Shanks is being sued by the NSW deputy premier for defamation.

Will a million dollars behind him he at least will get his day in court which many people are denied.

However a the breakdown of his situation, discussed the following Youtube clip, he makes some pertinent observations about the court system and our defamation laws.

"I am getting sued for exactly the same reason that virtually every person in this country gets sued and that is because we have the exact opposite laws of the US when it comes to defamation."

http://youtu.be/CJ3vS_Xnglo

It really does reflect poorly on notions of egalitarianism when the likes of Clive Palmer can stifle any criticism by virtue of his chequebook.

I for one are hoping the court case will at least start the conversation around modifying our defamation laws.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 17 September 2021 1:41:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree defamation laws should be changed.

I know a person in a sport who sues everyone for defamation when his federation receives a complaint about him.

He has wealth, and most back down because they do not
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 17 September 2021 2:41:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Chris Lewis,

Yes it really is a case of the monied classes increasingly holding the upper hand in regards to free speech.

The amount of money required to safely tell anyone to truly F-off has become obscene in this country.

I do acknowledge there has been a little bit of reform but it hardly goes far enough in my opinion.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/the-defamation-laws-have-just-changed-in-most-of-australia-here-s-why-that-matters/1c5e2418-4150-46a2-ac90-7f181a64dab9
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 17 September 2021 3:29:41 PM
Dear Steele,

We need new media voices, especially ones that
are young and progressive. Time will tell how
effective his case will be. He has a large
following and is certainly in tune with many
Australians. I wish him success. However, I don't
like the odds stacked against him. I hope he's got
good lawyers, and good media coverage. He's going to
need both.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 17 September 2021 3:42:06 PM
Hi Steele,

Can't JS set up a 'Cry Baby' Porter like slush fund, where secret cashed up people can contribute to his legal costs? If he was in government later on he could return the favour in some small way. ScumO' is having someone look at his own rule book to see if Porter is in order, I'm sure he'll find he is, after all he hasn't shot anyone on the floor of the parliament, which is possibly against Scum̉' rules, but someone would have to look at that, it would be 50/50.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 18 September 2021 7:50:47 AM
Bugger him. The Left is always trying to cancel the rights of free speech to conservatives. So, no sympathy for for this whine. This SR character is the leading hater and left nasty here. He has one hell of a cheek expecting sympathy for some clown he admires.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 18 September 2021 8:44:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy