The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Does Australia need a new flag?

Does Australia need a new flag?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All
Five alternatives to Australia’s national flag have featured online, leading to debate over whether Australia's current flag should be changed.

The five designs have been put out recently, with all five flags paying reference to Australia's rich Aboriginal history.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/tiktok-erupts-in-debate-over-five-proposed-replacements-for-the-australian-national-flag/news-story/3958e21101ae854a58e70ce5f3a8447c?amp

What do you think of the designs and is there a need for change, particularly to see a move towards reconciliation in Australia?
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 12 September 2021 1:57:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Nathan,

Out of the designs shown on the link you gave
I like the first design the best. However,
prior to us having a new flag should we not
decide as a nation whether we're going to
retain the Queen as our head of state and
break our ties with colonialism once and for all.
Otherwise what's the point of it all?
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 12 September 2021 4:23:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The obvious answer to your question is, no. There is absolutely no 'need' for us to change our flag. If you mean is there desire or wish to change the flag, that's a different matter altogether.

When I looked for a "recent poll" on the matter, I couldn't find one after 2016, and that was by some university which came up with a 64% 'yes', but given the reputation of universities, I wouldn't accept that one.

Why anyone would want to change the flag is a mystery. Our flag is part of our history and, just because we have gone all multicultural, it is extremely disrespectful of our past and the people who founded and built the country to even think of changing it.

The current flag has nothing to do with "colonialism" or the Queen. We haven't been a colony since Federation. The last referendum on republicanism was a real poke in the eye for the malcontented, and there hasn't been a serious question asked about the flag.

Australia is now a massively divided country which needs to get its act together before it starts mucking around with flags.

The fact that we only hear from you when you want to talk about some harebrained idea that you hear about somewhere (you don't participate in other people's posts and discussions generally), Nathan, gives me the pip. Make up your own mind about things.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 12 September 2021 5:28:42 PM
In fact, it is pathetic and absurd to be wittering on about pissant subjects such flags with Covid, the China threat, lack of defence, debt, the self-serving useless politicians we have, not to mention the white-anting Left now present even in the only two parties we have to rely on to get something right. But, of course, it's the white-anting Left that's doing the wittering, and the rest of us are too browbeaten and tired to do anything about it. I'm thankful that I'm going towards the end of life and not starting out.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 12 September 2021 6:15:39 PM
The following link may be of interest:

http://australianflag.net.au/index.php?option=com_content&<task=view8<id=108Itemid=92
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 12 September 2021 6:48:50 PM
cont'd ...

Oooops I've done it again - left something out.
Sorry I'll try again:

http://australianflag.net.au/index.php?option=com_content&<task=view8<id=108*<itemid=92
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 12 September 2021 6:54:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy