The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ramifacations of the Horse Flu outbreak

Ramifacations of the Horse Flu outbreak

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Must voice my concerns regarding the horse flu outbreak. I feel deeply for all those involved in the entire horse industry and no, not all are filthy rich. Some are employees and some are involved simply for the love of horses. Their losses will be great.

The only positive thing that i can see is that it may test our actions and stratigies for when the dreaded Foot and Mouth virus reaches our shores. Let us hope we learn from this.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 26 August 2007 9:43:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When we heard about this dreadful illness yesterday it made us think about the horrible economic ripple effect that it will cause.
As far as I knew quarantine laws have made it almost impossible for Australia to be blighted by foot and mouth disease so what makes you say WHEN it hits our shores.
I would have thought that those in power to prevent its' introduction into Australia would be positive in their actions.
Posted by Goddess, Sunday, 26 August 2007 12:52:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Goddess,
Quaranteen was supposed to keep out the horse flu too!

People can either knowingly or unknowingly tranfer the F and M virus so with the ammount of air travel these days it is most likely to arrive. We just do not know when. Am also told that Indonesia has F and M, but maybe only on certain islands there. Am also told that Indonesian fishermen carry live animals on board to slaughter for food, and it has been known for them to stop off on our shores.

While the current horse flu virus will cost many a great deal, and I feel for them, an outbreak of F and M would be absolutely devastating. That is why I hope we learn from this.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 26 August 2007 1:37:50 PM
Horses seem to have more value than humans.People can come and go in this country with no health checks.If the bird flu mutates to a human form,horse flu will be the least of our worries.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 26 August 2007 1:47:01 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay,
Nobody is saying horses are more important than people but the point being made here is that the ramifications of this thing are far more horrible than on the surface.
People who work within the racing or equine industries will be robbed of employment, right down to T.A.B clerks, groundsmen etc.
Worse still, we do not know if we have or are successfully contained this thing.
I know only a little about foot and mouth but I do know enough that it would be a complete disaster if it got into this country.
Apart from the economic aspect,at the end of the day there is animal suffering, something we should all take into consideration.
Posted by Goddess, Sunday, 26 August 2007 2:40:47 PM
It is a big deal for me, how will I explain to my mates?
No races Saturday and I still have money in my pocket on Monday? no one will believe me.
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 26 August 2007 7:02:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy