The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australia Day Awards

Australia Day Awards

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All
I'm just wondering what people think of non-Australians receiving Australia Day Awards?

Abbott doling one out to Prince Phillip is an example although it could be argued as the consort of our Queen it puts him in the frame.

But let's look at someone like Russell Crowe, naturalised NZ citizen who did most of his growing up in Australia. Should he be eligible or should our AD awards be kept to our own citizens?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 24 January 2021 5:36:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi SR

I reckon Australia Day Awards should only go:

1. to Australian Citizens

AND

2. (of those satisfying 1.) only those willing to "Honour-the-Honour" by attending the Awards Ceremony (if there is one) to recieve the Award (unless they are "infirm").

Those rejecting an Award should not be given it.

Note there is a difference between "Australia Day Honours" to which you refer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Australia_Day_Honours and Australian of the Year.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 25 January 2021 12:34:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apart from Abbot's very strange nomination of HRH, which made him a laughing stock, being for a knighthood, not an Australia Day award, has as anyone nominated a non-Australian for an AD award, in particular, Russell Crowe who is not Australian? If not, what is the point of this question?
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 25 January 2021 12:41:06 PM
The Australian of the Year should be Asian otherwise how can we identify with being an Asian nation-state after 40 years of the Great Asianization Period (1980-2020) in Australian history.

I would nominate Andrew Forrest for the way he managed to get his Chinese mate into Greg Hunt's press conference and was then able to get him up to the podium to deliver a message from Xi to Australia.

Well done Andrew. A great Australian and a great Asian.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 25 January 2021 12:49:41 PM
Dear Mopy

Should your No.1 Chum, President Xi, get the ultimate Aussie Knighthood Award?

While contemplating my question, please sing and memorise "The East is Red" http://youtu.be/_BoTblmqdqE

Cheers :)
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 25 January 2021 1:03:16 PM
plantagenet,

That's a great number and I love the ending "Liberation!"

Maybe China will let us use some of it for our Asianized Australian national anthem.

I bet it brings a tear to Foul-Mouth's eyes.

One question: There are scenes of millions of people all bunched together but I didn't see even a single porta loo. What's the go? They just good at holding it or are doing it in each other's pockets?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 25 January 2021 1:15:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy