The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Australian politics sport or opera?

Is Australian politics sport or opera?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I am now living through the fourth election campaign since my arrival in Australia. Once again I am unable to discern any material difference between the two major parties.

As far as I can work out, my life, and the life of everyone I know, will continue pretty much along the same trajectory no matter who wins.

And yet people get so passionate about politics here.

But then I noticed the online betting exchange, www.betfair.com

Betfair classifies politics as a sport.

And then I understood.

Australian politics has nothing to do with the issues of the day. It is a team sport. ALP supporters want their team to win in the same way my son wants the Bombers to win and I want the South African Cricket team to win.

Whew, what a relief. At last the penny drops.

One quibble.

If I were running Betfair I'm not sure I would categorise politics as a sport. "Opera" seems a better classification but I guess people don't bet on opera.

So what is Australian politics?

A sport?

Opera?

A bit of both?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Saturday, 18 August 2007 5:00:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steven,

Politics the world over is an inherently tribal thing. So you're going to get rabid supporters on both sides just as you do with any popular sport.

And before DEMOS gets in with his remarks, it will occure in what ever system you build. It happens in communism, it happens in democracies and it will happen in free for all anarchic systems.
Posted by James Purser, Sunday, 19 August 2007 2:06:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
LOL James,

Perhaps DEMOS can explain what material differences exist between the ALP the and coalition.

Opera seems a better paradigm than sport because politicians are like divas. They sing whatever tune is required of them.

Then again, what else can Australian politicians do? Australia is a bit player in world affairs. We respond to, rather than shape, the world. When it comes to great issues like global warming we're at the mercy of the big players.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 19 August 2007 2:30:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Steve,

I agree, the two main parties have started to converge on certain areas, however I think this is more a factor of following rather than leading.

The electorate has been scared into conservatism, with September 11 people want security and so they demand it of their leaders. I think we're starting to see the inevitable back swing as people start to look at exactly what has been done in their name, but its going to take while to work its way through.

Mind you I'm saying this as an independent candidate so always take what I saw with a grain of salt :)
Posted by James Purser, Sunday, 19 August 2007 2:38:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
be fair now, i'm the one that despises political parties, all of them.

ozzies don't get the point of democracy, pretty much for the same reason innuit don't get snorkeling. there just isn't any around as you grow up.
so go on whingeing about pollies while doing nothing to control them. she'll be right, mate.
Posted by DEMOS, Sunday, 19 August 2007 3:04:06 PM
Sport is corrupt and so is politics. Opera can be high drama but it is also full of intrigue...bit of both perhaps?
Posted by Communicat, Sunday, 19 August 2007 3:08:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy