The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What is the MEASURE for being Australian?

What is the MEASURE for being Australian?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
What is the measure to recognise who is Australian and who is UnAustralian? Can we say the Citizenship Certificate is the measure?

If we consider "Citizenship Certificate as measure of being Australian we face a problem: "there are people who get that certificate but not only they are not loyal to Australia but also in fact they are AGAINST Australia."

And if we don't consider "Citizenship Certificate" as the measure of being Australian , then what else can be considered? We cant say Australian born is the measure, we cant consider a particular race either. So what is the measure?

Who is Aussie? and who is NOT Aussie?
What is the DEFINITION for being aussie?
Posted by P_Dox, Saturday, 18 August 2007 1:36:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The concept of "australian" vs "unaustralian" is a dangerous one and entirely subjective.

For some people, australian == unquestioning support of the government, for others its the respect for the rule of law, yet others rely on racial definitions.

Personally I fall into the category that says being australian means having a respect for the rule of law, a fair go for ALL (regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual preference).
Posted by James Purser, Sunday, 19 August 2007 2:24:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
depends if you're a sheep, or a citizen. sheep live here, citizens participate in political society.
Posted by DEMOS, Sunday, 19 August 2007 3:20:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi DEMOS thanks for your comments
I've learned something from you , a new definition for Australian CITIZEN , I have never heard before. I will keep it in my mind:
1. Anyone who lives in Australia but doesn't participate in the political society is not Australian citizen (even if he/she is carrying citizen certificate) but is an animal, but not all different kinds of animals, no no , only sheep, only one kind of animal.

2. Anyone who participates in the political society is an Australian citizen. It doesn't matter how he/she is , it doesn't make difference that has citizenship or not, it doesn't matter how respectful for law is ... it doesn't matter ... only as long as he/she participate in political society then he/she is an Australian CITIZEN.

Thanks for your definition.
any other person has any suggest? any other idea?
any other measures for Australian Citizen?

If you don't post any definition, Demos definition might win in this sheep auction ... comm on quickly I wam waiting :)
Posted by P_Dox, Sunday, 19 August 2007 7:19:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JAMES SAID:

"Personally I fall into the category that says being australian means having a respect for the rule of law, a fair go for ALL (regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual preference)."

Now James. Does it occur to you that within that statement,(which sounds noble on the surface) there is contained some very serious difficulties.

1/ "Rule of Law" is fine.....but 'who' defines the law?

2/ Fair go for all.... but if one mans fair go is anothers 'licentiousness/injustice/cruelty/immorality' then... we have a problem.

3/ Due to the conflict between 2 above, and 1 the outcome is: the conflicting elements noted in '1 and 2' will work towards re-shaping the society such that 'their' laws and 'their' cultural practices reign supreme.

Now...lets use the example of Female Genital Mutilation.

Yes..its against the law.
Yes.. there are peopel who WOULD if they had the political clout MAKE it law for the rest of us, or at least make it legal.

Lets now touch on FREE SPEECH. The freedom to criticize and even mock practices or beliefs which we regard as stupid or evil.

I am one of those 'minority' groups who's beliefs are
-mocked,
-ridiculed,
-made fun of,
-derided,
-treated as if it were a psychological disorder,
-made the butt of jokes,

but when was the last time a Christian group tried to make a law preventing this?

by contrast, see THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUoxbR9mwA

So, the equilibrium of society and the rule of law, is inevitably established by the pressure or power of specific groups or combination of groups.

"Do for others what you would have them do for you" ..... which of course comes directly from the mouth of Jesus.

Not all societies are based on such ideas. In my view, you are taking the 'benefits' of what our Judao Christian cultural underpinnings have given us, and are running on the idea that they now don't matter and that abandoning them will have no serious impact on the future shape of our community.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Monday, 20 August 2007 6:33:58 AM
D_Pox: "Who is Aussie? and who is NOT Aussie?
What is the DEFINITION for being aussie?"

Do you mean "Aussie" as opposed to "Australian"? I'm not sure they're quite the same thing...
Posted by CJ Morgan, Monday, 20 August 2007 7:34:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy