The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Seal of the Confessional

The Seal of the Confessional

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
"Priests in Tasmania and Victoria will now face possible jail terms if they do not report information regarding child sexual abuse made during the sacrament of confession.

In Tasmania, mandatory reporting laws passed on 11 September require anyone with knowledge of child sexual abuse, including priests in the hearing of confessions, to report the crime to police. The maximum penalty is 21 [ misprint perhaps?] years’ imprisonment or fines of up to $3,360.

Victoria’s state parliament passed similar laws on 10 September, also scrapping the previous religious confession exemption, with the maximum penalty set at a three-year prison sentence."
http://www.catholicweekly.com.au/confession-challenge-made-law-in-victoria-tasmania/

One thing that comes to mind is, how would evidence be gathered?
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 29 February 2020 1:14:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'One thing that comes to mind is, how would evidence be gathered?'

One hope that its not made up in people's mind like it was the Pell case. I certainly don't trust the Catholic church but less so activist leftist judges. Just look at the lying liberal media, lying feminist, fake made up crimes and the democrats in the US. Just like academia has become corrupted so its heading that way in the courts.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 29 February 2020 2:47:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How many people who have committed a criminal act do confess that act to a priest? If they do confess, how would police know they had done so? Would priests actually voluntarily dob in a penitent?

The whole thing is bluff and bullshite.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 29 February 2020 6:51:04 PM
Dear Is Mise,

I know runner is a staunch defender of pedophiles, particularly given his faith has proved to be so rife with them, but I'm kind of glad finding solace in the confessional will denied them, don't you?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 29 February 2020 7:08:12 PM
On the face value of it, I say:

Good. No sanctuary for peedos.

But while we're on the topic, is there any reason why someone like a priest who's supposed to have the best interest of the people and the local community, should not report things like rape and murder as well?

Why should it be a sanctuary where you can redeem yourself from guilt but not face the community's scorn and punishment for your crimes.

So I say no sanctuary for rapists, murderers, peedos or anyone else who preys upon others either.

Why only make legal provisions against the Catholic Church with this legislation though?

So I say make similar legal provisions for all religious entities.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 29 February 2020 8:30:56 PM
'So I say make similar legal provisions for all religious entities.'

yep including all the global warming high priest virtue signallers in Hollywood who have hidden deviants for years along with the bbc.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 29 February 2020 8:37:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy