The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Coal the Reality's

Coal the Reality's

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Last federal election saw one of Labors safest seats,in the Hunter Valley, see a twenty percent swing, to one notion
Yes coal has a limited future, maybe less than 50 years, no more than one hundred
But right now, like it or not, this country is not prepared to live without it
Or the massive income we get from it
Lets look, with unbiased eyes, at those against using it
Greens get what, say ten percent of the vote
Who else, no one comes to mind
Labor, now branded by even some of its base as the new Liberals, has said ok, let the voters have their say
Selling coal while we can, seems much better than leaving it in the ground forever
Renewable,s will replace coal, until then? sell it or watch others do just that
Posted by Belly, Wednesday, 4 September 2019 3:14:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am now in an alternative universe. More than two genders and the cheapest and most reliable energy source being replaced by much more expensive and unreliable sources.
Then when the unreliables fail the cheaper reliable source is blamed.
Nutters making spurious gender claims bully the majority and silence common sense.
Amazing but I changed my vote and will be very reluctant to vote for the two main parties again. If I am truly some troglodyte and totally unrepresentative so be it. If I am not rest assured all the contortions of the swill that are currently mis-representing me will matter nought I have left them behind me.
I look forward to the future, always! If I am wrong we will enter a new golden age of milk and honey, cheap electricity and less personal problems. However if I am right we will take twenty years to sort the almighty mess we have gotten ourselves in if ever!
Posted by JBowyer, Thursday, 5 September 2019 9:10:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Have you thought of voting for the new party Belly has mentioned - "one notion"
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 5 September 2019 9:21:45 AM
It is a bit like gas Belly, if we stop exporting it, it will last a lot
longer. It seems that, according Swiztoski, or whatever his name is, we
have missed the boat on nuclear energy, as it has become too expensive.
He has been the main promoter of nuclear energy for years.

Given that, where do we go ? I know Alan, Thorium.
India was working on it, how is it going ? Any catches ?
In the meantime coal & gas is all we have.
The solar & wind is, after all the money we have spent on it, still a
very small amount of generation.

Someone, and I cannot imagine who, will have to go to the governor of
each state and ask that he suspend each parliament on the grounds
of evident insanity. They do not comprehend that 3 - 5 = -2 a negative
number.
Anyone that believes it produces a positive number MUST be insane.
This is what they are doing by closing the coal fired power stations.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 5 September 2019 9:27:27 AM
Hey Bazz,

I found the article

Cook, J., et al. 'Quantifying the consensus on anthropogenic global warming in the scientific literature', Environmental Research Letters 8 (2), 2013.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Thursday, 5 September 2019 9:29:55 AM
If we had enough mountains, & enough rain, hydro could replace thermal power generation by coal or gas, but we don't have either.

Apart from Hydro, none of the existing alternate renewable generation systems CAN EVER replace thermal generation. It is simply impossible, & only fools & ratbags believe it is possible. With out a new system of voltage control, windmills need despatchable power to get them to start. They need an outside power supply to keep them warm & rotating in cold windless conditions & to hold voltage for them.

Solar panels can generate useful electricity, I use them to pump a little water. However we would have to cover the whole continent with them if we wanted to supply just our domestic power requirement. We'd need another continent to cover with the things to supply even our miserly industrial requirements.

Of course they can only give us power for 8 hours a day, so we would need a third continent covered with the things to drive 100 Snowy 2.0 systems if we wanted power at night. Here again finding enough mountains become a problem.

Gas could replace coal, if the idiots running NSW & Vic would allow their own gas to be harvested. Virtue signalling or buying ratbag green preferences, or what ever drives this stupidity, may disappear when those state residents spend enough time dark & cold on enough long winter nights, but I'm not sure those states residents are smart enough to know the cause of their coming problems.

So Belly, I doubt we can lose coal, & still have lights, unless some very stupid people wake up to a few scientific facts. Of course they need some math for that, & the politicians rarely have enough to make change from a bus ticket.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 5 September 2019 11:11:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy