The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Telstra Charges

Telstra Charges

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
For the past six or so months I used the $30 15GB pre-paid for my wireless internet. It suited me fine.
This morning I recharged & found that the $30-15GB plan is no longer. It now is $30 for 5 GB & $50 for 25 GB.
I don't know about other users here but I think that is exorbitant ! Considering that overseas internet plans start at 100-200GB, this latest hike by Telstra borders on robbery !
Posted by individual, Friday, 19 July 2019 9:41:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Feeling your pain indy, left that mob many years ago and on wireless fixed plan
Been on it from day one the no bleeding network arrived here
Still cheaper and the cost of dumping the land line got my mobile near free as part of plan
However need to watch them all, was charged for a service I cancelled for three years shonk salesmen are out there [got it refunded but had to fight]
Posted by Belly, Friday, 19 July 2019 11:54:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I get 100gb for $60 a month. That includes VOIP home 'phone. Telstra is not available where I live.

My beef is not cost, but the fact providers don't buy enough bandwidth which means, in my case, that the 'phone works sometimes but can be out of service at anytime, depending on how many users are on at the time. In the last few months, it has got so bad that I have had to buy my first ever mobile 'phone in case of emergencies and the VOIP is not available. All consumers will have this problem as they are connected to the NBN. The you beaut 'fast broadband', started by the ego-maniac Rudd, and totally stuffed up by the other ego-maniac Turnbull, is a dud. But then, everything governments lay their hands on turns out to be a dud.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 19 July 2019 12:01:20 PM
My internet used to be pretty good when it, my land line & mobile were bundled & supplied by a little Western Australian provider.

After they were taken over by one of the big boys I have rotating internet speeds. After I complain about speeds & drop out problems, my speed & reliability improve dramatically. I believe I go to the top of the list for service.

Over a couple of months this speed drops off, & drop outs become common, until I complain again. I am quite sure they have a pecking order for service, & you slowly, [or rather quickly] drop down the order until you are at the old dial up speeds & reliability.

We are about to get the dreaded NBN, from a node 1000 metres away. From what I hear about it, & the G5 network, I may not have the land line based net for much longer. It looks like mobile will be the way to go.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 19 July 2019 12:32:21 PM
Hey individual,
Yes telstra is expensive, and there are better mobile data options.

Firstly, it helps greatly if you have a dual sim phone.
If you have a dual sim phone, you can set your data use to specifically use the second sim for internet but still receive your normal calls on your existing sim.

- This means you can use the cheap deals the network providers often have and just throw the data sim away and get a new deal when you run out of data and don't wish to recharge again.

If you don't have a dual sim phone, it will mean you must stay with telstra, change your number or port your number to the new providers service, if they allow it.

I've had an initial look for you;
(I don't know whether you have a dual sim phone or not or whether this following prepaid plans I'm recommending allow you to port your existing number - you'll need to check this)

On this page there's currently an Optus offer for 35gb data for $30;
- But it's on special for $10 atm.
http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/prepaid

(I got a $40 plan for $15 a couple of weeks ago from Optus under a similar offer which gave me 55gb, but I haven't used it yet)

Also Kogan are pretty good value, but they use the vodafone network I believe.
Check out some of their prepaid plans here:
http://www.kogan.com/au/shop/?q=mobile+recharge
$16.90 per month for 7gb or;
$46.90 for the same data (7gb mth) under a 90 day plan

Vodafone also have some reasonable offers atm as well.
$20 for 35days with 45gb mobile data. (half price)
http://www.vodafone.com.au/prepaid/plans

There's a few more companies worth checking; Boost, TPG etc.

Hope you find this info helpful.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 19 July 2019 1:53:13 PM
Thanks all for your contributions. I certainly don't feel alone in this anymore.
We don't have any provider options on Cape York, it's Telstra or nothing. We all accept that nothing is free but what Telstra does is nothing short of extortion.
As the problem here is not only inappropriately high service costs, it's service itself that leaves a lot to be desired. There were times when I couldn't even use up my monthly alloance because the internet speed is so slow & I am situated between two Telstra towers. I get 1-2 bars on 4G & 3-4 bars on 3G on average & that's just 10km from town. I get 5Bars 4G if I take the laptop halfway into town. Because of moving around I need to have wireless. The least I'd have expected from Telstra is to have a user pays system not having to pay top Dollar for the Data Telstra can't supply even though it has already been paid for. If Telstra can't provide the data allowance then at least roll it over !
Posted by individual, Friday, 19 July 2019 2:26:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy