The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > BUDJ BIM an Indigenous eel trap site added to World Heritage List!

BUDJ BIM an Indigenous eel trap site added to World Heritage List!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25
  13. ...
  14. 89
  15. 90
  16. 91
  17. All
Again I read a myriad of contradictions and questionable 'facts'.
I don't necessarily fully accept a lot of the comments, but that aside, I wish to ask, if there have been so many different races coming down under, who is to say that these findings, artifacts or any discoveries for that matter, are those specific to the blacks?
I won't accept that the blacks can lay claim to this land, because the Poms came along, and in doing so became the next and current owners of this country.
If we have truly had people coming through from other countries to end up staying here, then why is it that there are the wannabees on this forum who wish to raise the station of the blacks from just another bunch of people living here, no more relevant or important than any previous inhabitants.
Foxy, Paul and SR, would have us believe that the blacks had some kind of mortgage on Australia, and because they were the last ones living here before England came along and 'muscled in' on them, (as they would have us believe) then we must therefore demand that all the conquerors of past, relinquish title and ownership of other lands they occupied, and return them to their previous tenants.
I am loathed to call them 'owners', as it will imply that those of us who actually do own our land because we paid for it and have a receipt to prove it, will have to acquiesce to a lie.
So then do we all agree that the blacks did not originate from Australia.
They are descendants of other races, like Africa or India.
You see by calling them aboriginal or indigenous all we are saying is that they happened to be here when we came along.
It does not mean they are a 'stand out' race from the thousands who came before them, so let's focus on the real history and stop 'cherry picking' bits that help bolster a particular agenda or dogma.
The real question we should be debating/asking is; who do these discoveries truly belong to?
Posted by ALTRAV, Thursday, 11 July 2019 9:11:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Narelle47;

You opined;

“Sadly the greenies moved in and stopped that - a recent result was the devastating fires IN Canberra in 2004 - my daughter's house miraculously escaped while houses 2 doors away were burnt to the ground from flying cinders.
At the same time my brother who lives Beechworth - was lucky to escape the rvages(sic) of fire because of the Greenies.”

Rubbish.

Firstly the fires were in 2003 not 2004. Secondly 'farmers burning off' didn't stop the 1938-39 fires which took out 60,000 hectares, nor the 13,000 hectare fire in 1951-52 which burnt to the urban areas of Canberra including the Stromlo pine plantation and observatory grounds, nor the 1982-83 fire which burnt for 22 days and took out 33,000 hectares.

The inquiry into the 2003 fires directly stated;

“In extreme conditions such as those experienced on 17 and 18 January—even had there been a more robust program of hazard reduction—it is highly unlikely that that the fires could have been extinguished or contained before they reached the edge of Canberra.”

You write;

“Aborigines burnt off the forests as a hunting method to force the animals out for easy capture.”

What? I think you have just made that up. Got anything to back it up?

Cont...
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 11 July 2019 9:49:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont...

This is far closer to the truth.

The vast majority of indigenous burning is done for 'healing country'. There is a vast difference between that and how white fellas have been doing it. Indigenous burning is being taught and picked up by Councils here in Victoria. I spoke to the chief fire officer about a burn which was conducted side by side using traditional methods and current ones. The indigenous burn was planned and overseen by an aboriginal chap using traditional knowledge and methods. The time of the burn was quite early in the morning. He had observed the winds two mornings in a row and knew when the change was expected to have the fire come back on its self. The fire was very low intensity, could be done without protective gear, the tall grass clumps under trees was tied in knots to prevent damage to them, and only took a couple of people to do. It progressed at a slow even pace allowing ground dwelling animals to escape it. The CFA burn was done much quicker, normally at times when personnel are available rather than the best time weather wise. It took several trucks and many crew. Whilst it was done quicker the crew was back the next day to clean up smouldering timber that only occurred in their burn due to the fire's heat.

This knowledge is being passed on and taken up by agencies tasked with fire control and dealing with fuel loads.

Perhaps you might want to go and learn more about cultural burning and traditional methods. There are plenty of resources online.

I can assist if you like.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 11 July 2019 9:50:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QhjzEBpBCk
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 11 July 2019 9:59:51 PM
SR,

Anyone ever called you an arrogant pr#$k?
How would you know if anyone does or doesn't burn lands to flush out animals, when I know of it personally and witnessed it, before these green morons came along.
You know very well the practice of burning was carried out, so stop pushing your know-it-all attitude onto others.
So, you are a wannabee.
Now you listen to me, through the centuries we have had in-calculable numbers of people and races moving throughout the world.
Each one learnt and left another way of doing something, whether it was fishing or hunting.
Now brainiac, if the blacks were so advanced as you and your lot want us to believe, why, oh why, was there NOTHING of note here?
Why, if you're so knowledgeable, did not they keep going on the road to progress, because according to you and your lot, you promote them to the level of Master Builders and Civil Engineers equal to todays standards.
Instead what did the early settlers find?, a bunch of half naked black people standing around on one leg all looking at each other possibly, I don't know, but that is my point, neither do you or any other 'expert', you weren't there.
They are using 'best guess' philosophy based on what they have learned to-date.
Think about it, I don't know about you, but based on what Foxy's trying to shove down our throats, If I had just landed here, based on all this, WONDERFUL technology, DISCOVERED recently, I would expect at least to see some circular or round stone or rock huts.
Wouldn't you?
Is that too much to ask?
I mean c'mon, some other race came before them built these rock huts, the blacks wiped them out, you'd think they were savvy enough to move into them and settle down, or not, but either way, they did NOTHING, they had NOTHING, so I'm sorry, all they had to do is just keep the status quo, but NO, they couldn't even do that so, NO this new evidence has NOTHING to do with the blacks!
Posted by ALTRAV, Thursday, 11 July 2019 11:13:10 PM
Burning the bush is not farming. Collecting is not farming. It's also called gathering. Hunters and gatherers hunted and gathered. All of our ancestors did the same.

This is just too ridiculous. See you later.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 11 July 2019 11:36:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. 23
  11. 24
  12. 25