The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Misuse of media

Misuse of media

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Bazz with respect I think the thread is calling for us to become Ostriches and bury our heads in the sand
It requires less violence in our news, not and end to violence
We can all put cases of things we think the press is ignoring, or even not telling us
But in the end this thread asks us to ignore the need to know, forget bad things take place, and be that Ostrich that is the next victim of dreadful acts
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 9 July 2019 8:48:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The idea of the thread is not to keep people in dark about what is happening around. People should only be informed of the crimes or accidents that take place and not shown in graphic detail.By showing those crimes so brazenly we create a kind of mass hysteria and even repercussions in far of lands. Children start to think that they live in dangerous world and develop a sense of insecurity.One cannot deny the fact that the media misuses the situation to make money.Media needs some censorship.In the name of freedom of the press or informing the people we cannot allow the media to take people for a ride.
Posted by Ezhil, Tuesday, 9 July 2019 1:13:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ordinary people have no need to know about crimes, certainly not to see their gruesome effects visually: that only causes agitation that damages one's psyche and robs one's peace.

In fact, what need is there for visual media at all?
I am happy to receive that little information which I need to know about the world (mainly about proposed/new laws that could affect me or my family) from the ABC radio, but even then, when they start their news bulletin with crime-stories, I understand that they have nothing to say and turn the radio off (or change the station to ABC Classic FM).
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 9 July 2019 7:00:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
News media, and media in general, are business seeking money, and seeking profit. There 's no real way to avoid this without some kind of action on our part to not to not pay or subscribe to media that that commonly holds untrue stories, or are graphic in nature.

Those two kinds of stories sell. Tell the world what they fear, and they'll buy it up. Tell it graphically and they will buy it up all the more. Same with stories that have little or no truth in them, they keep getting passed around because they are popular stories or they are made for a certian audience. (Facebook articles and news stories anyone?)

The only way to really stop this, or stop any other media related problem is to not support it. When they realize that they are missing a demographic (if they find out) they'll try to gain that demographic for the profits that could come from it. I've heard of many people who have stopped watching the news because it's only bad news and they don't want to hear it. Before the Internet, that just meant a loss for the news companies but over all the larger demographic still watched and they still rolled in the money. Nowadays, with internet media, there are news sources that cater to one type of viewer or another. The mainstream news broadcasters have more competation and might pay attention more if people stoped viewing them. (While explaining why they stopped).

That said, I don't know if you can stop the graphic nature of news. And I'd rather be informed on most days then I would to not know. So finding enough people who will give up watching the news might be a bigger issue.
Posted by Not_Now.Soon, Wednesday, 10 July 2019 3:23:01 AM
Dear Not_Now.Soon,

«I don't know if you can stop the graphic nature of news.»

I don't know about other browsers, but in Firefox, you can press <CTRL-i>, select "Permissions", then tick "Block" for "Load Images": you will never again see any graphic content for this website!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 10 July 2019 5:25:21 AM
"Block" for "Load Images":
Yuyutsu,
why not call "stick your head in the sand " ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 12 July 2019 7:32:45 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy