The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Jacqui Lambie The New Power In The Senate.

Jacqui Lambie The New Power In The Senate.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
With around 3.5% of the popular vote in Australia's smallest state, Tasmania, Jacqui Lambie now finds herself the go to person when it comes to the Senate passing controversial government legislation, stuff Labor and the Greens don't support. With the Hanson two, and Bernardi, the governments got 38 votes, they need 39 to get things through. That's where Jacqui comes in, and to a lesser extent the two Centre Alliance Senators from SA. When the government comes a'knocken, bearing gifts, I'm sure the now experienced Jacqui will have her Tasmanian shopping list to show em', and wanting to put her hand in their billion dollar lolly jar, as she did with the tax cuts legislation. Is this good for Australia? Could we see a new 16 lane super highway from Launceston to Devonport, complements of the Federal Government? Could we see the Federal Government financing a new international airport for the town of Strahan? You never Know.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 5 July 2019 8:36:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

Jacquie Lambie has resurrected her political career.
She now has a six year Senate term and as you point
out her vote will be crucial.

She's had a colourful political career and now she's
back with a vengeance. And, as she said, she's got -
"unfinished business" in Canberra.

Things are not going to be dull.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 5 July 2019 10:57:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well it could have been a lot worse.

The ratbag greens could have held the balance of power. Nothing could be worse for the average Ozzie.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 5 July 2019 11:26:37 AM
Dear Paul,

I have always been a bit of a fan of Jacqui Lambie, certainly not for many of her views but rather for her preparedness to go in to bat for the underdog. I feel the Senate could do with more of people like her and Ricky Muir who I thought really made an effort to learn and change strongly held views on the basis of those learnings.

This was not a grab for a 6 lane highway but rather money to address homelessness in Tasmania. 50% of thier current spending on social housing goes in paying interest to the Federal government. Jacqui wanted the loans forgiven.

The more noses she tweaks while she is in there the happier I will be.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 5 July 2019 11:41:05 AM
Paul, my views are complex
Labor in my view, needed to pass the taxes, all of them
But, as they did, show strong opposition to stage three
Lambie? well she may have won a very very big prize for her state
So while not liking that house she at least is a state's representative
One Motion [intentional miss spell], may not be able to use its two votes it got for two empty heads
That would be great
Posted by Belly, Friday, 5 July 2019 11:51:02 AM
I to, not a political supporter of Jacqui Lambie, but give her credit for her fighting sprite.

Steele, her aim of addressing homelessness in Tasmania was highly commendable, a bigger, and ever growing problem in many parts of Australia that urgently needs attention, but like so many things, don't hold your breath with this government. The highway and airport, well.... were added to spice up the debate.

Yes Hassy, it could have even been a lot, lot, worse, they could have elected YOU! Oh! what pain, the thought it, a Senator Hasbeen calling the shots.

Well Belly, Jacqui has tasted success, what price is the government prepared to pay for Jacqui's vote, its seems a lot. Soon the "Okay to be a religious bigot" legislation will be put up for a vote, what price to get that one through?

True Foxy, Jacqui's now got some power, interesting. The Government played their hand yesterday.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 5 July 2019 12:36:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy