The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Violent Crime against the Aged

Violent Crime against the Aged

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. Page 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. 27
  13. ...
  14. 31
  15. 32
  16. 33
  17. All
Hi IS MISE; BELLY & HASBEEN...

I reckon we could all wax lyrically with all the 'warries' we could tell when in the Military Forces? Most of mine were from around 50 to 75 feet above the jungle canopy, hanging out of a UH-1B chopper, like an idiot! You do some ridiculous things when you're young and stupid, on ops.? You do grow up very quickly after your first 'contact' or an ambush in my case. Where we deployed the manually fired intrepid M18A1's (Claymores), the results of which almost eviscerates your victims? Then we had to search them. God help us - it's not combat, it's a slaughter.

Yarns we could all tell our grandchildren, however, for anyone else above the age of four or five, they'd be mostly disbelieved. One of my enduring memories on active service - I bravely managed to climb up a large coconut tree, with their long straight trunks. My problem became evident when I couldn't get down again, not being able to find the tiny handholds and grips I had earlier, to ascend the thing? Worse, we were in an active area; which appeared to us (prima facie), relatively quiet. Nevertheless a better target than me; aloft, high up a coconut tree, I'd yet to behold. More evidence of the entrenched stupidity of the young?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 13 June 2019 2:02:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wo Sgt of police, at a forum about road trauma told us all [having seen far too much, he ex Navy, thought all acts of bravery happen because people act without thinking
Like to think he was wrong
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 13 June 2019 4:07:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there BELLY...

Actually, I would tend to agree with him. Most acts of extreme courage I've witnessed was in combat. Whereas the person concerned went ahead and did what they did, without any thought of the consequences whatsoever. After which; upon reflection, they'd generally admit to us all, they could've been killed, and as such, were an utter idiot for doing what they did! They tend to do 'the act of bravery' contemporaneously with the immediate threat.
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 13 June 2019 5:25:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

I gather that you think that it was silly of me to ask if any posters have actually experienced assault or home invasion. I don't understand why you would think my question was silly. Please explain.

I also request that you explain why you think my question in any way suggests that I have a "bugger it, I'm OK" attitude to anyone who has suffered such indignities and crimes.

Can you do that, please? Or are you just going to continue shooting off your mouth without thinking?
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 13 June 2019 5:56:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

"Like ise miserables instistance I tell what I would do?"

Well, what would you do?

Your actions might well help some person who finds themselves in such a predicament.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 13 June 2019 8:09:02 PM
ttbn,

Back in the days when I had a "Possess, Use and Carry" licence for a pistol (I was a Licenced Pistol Dealer, to allow me to do repairs), I had two incidents, both attempted robberies, first one was a bloke with a brick and the second one had a knife,
On each occasion, I just pulled my coat open and revealed the holstered revolver, both "would be"s took off,

After the first one, I told my local Sergeant and he asked me did I shoot him, and as the answer was "No', he said, "Then don't bother me I have enough paperwork as it is".
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 13 June 2019 8:23:51 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 21
  7. 22
  8. 23
  9. Page 24
  10. 25
  11. 26
  12. 27