The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Violent Crime against the Aged

Violent Crime against the Aged

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. 24
  11. 25
  12. 26
  13. ...
  14. 31
  15. 32
  16. 33
  17. All
Thanks all; my only brush with the tropics was with tropical ulcers and that was on the North Coast of NSW (which is hardly tropical).

Very painful, I also treated a number of people so I was a sympathetic first aider.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 13 June 2019 10:46:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just as a matter of interest, how many of you have actually been assaulted or attacked in your own homes or elsewhere? As private individuals, not ex-policemen etc.

Just watched an American video about 'the best self-defence guns for seniors', with emphasis on weaker hands and so on. All demonstrated by a beefy looking bloke who wouldn't be much older than 40.

Judging by the recoil effect right back through his shoulders, real seniors should forget about handguns. Arthritis in both hands and lack of a permit rule out firearms for me anyway, but just yesterday I heard again on the radio that people trying to defend themselves with guns are more likely to shoot themselves than their assailants
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 13 June 2019 11:14:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have not (yet) been physically assaulted but I had three break-ins & 4 cars stolen as well as my boat cleaned out of its four deep cycle batteries.
Also, had a brand new caravan with all my belongings in it stolen from a storage yard ?? (on hire purchase with full insurance yet SGIO said it was only insured for fire).
No insurance paid because Police didn't think it worthwile pursuing.
All up loss in the then value over the years $ 120,000.00
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 June 2019 11:48:39 AM
Ah, yeah, forgot to mention that "Life is what you make it".
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 June 2019 11:50:21 AM
Sorry to hear that, individual. But there was apparently nothing you could have done aboutmit. Besides, while you can get away with killing or wounding some who attacked you, in certain circumstances, it would be straight to jail if you did it over property.

Whether or not the police took any action should not affect insurance. They can give you an incident reference for the insurance company.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 13 June 2019 12:30:57 PM
I saw that request, the silly one asking us to list our home invasions if any
Think with me here, why? are we saying bugger it I am ok? it never happened to me so it doesn't matter
Like ise miserables instistance I tell what I would do?
In a perfect world? nothing, it would not happen
But it does to dozens, who cannot defend themselves
And Often, too often, those who do it walk away scott free.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 13 June 2019 1:31:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 20
  7. 21
  8. 22
  9. Page 23
  10. 24
  11. 25
  12. 26