The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Adani's approval fast tracked.

Adani's approval fast tracked.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All
Ms Palaszczuk, has obviously looked at the federal election results and seen a probable electoral wipe out at the state election next year and has backflipped like an acrobat.

From stonewalling the mine and ignoring any requests from Adani, suddenly Ms Palaszczuk is clearing away any obstacles and pretending that she never had anything to do with the obstruction in the first place.

"Adani could start building its controversial coal mine in just three weeks, after besieged Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk declared she’d had a “gutful” of delays in her own government’s approvals of the project.

Ms Palaszczuk today said there had been a “breakthrough” in the impasse over Adani, declaring in Cairns that the deadline for a decision on Adani’s management plan for the endangered black-throated finch was May 31, while the decision on the company’s groundwater strategy would occur on June 13. If both plans are signed off on by Queensland government officials, the company expects it will be able to break ground on the proposed Carmichael coal mine in central Queensland in as few as three weeks."

While this backflip will do something to mitigate the damage, labor must desperately hope that they don't have long memories.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 24 May 2019 12:40:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If there was a Qld election right now, Labor would be back to the basketball team they were when Palaszczuk, got the nod as opposition leader. Obviously Labor were amazed when the Libs lost the next election, & pretty disappointed to be stuck with her as premier.

The girls club now in power have been Labors ball & chain for quite a while now. She is even worse than Anna Bligh, which is saying a lot. What is it with these Labor ladies, that they are so incompetent. It definitely must take entirely different skills to get to the top in the Labor Party, than it does to do anything useful.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 24 May 2019 1:24:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What Annastacia Palaszczuk is doing is asking
for the two parties - Adani and the independent
regulator (DES - Department of Environment and
Science) to sit down with the Coordinator General
and work out a time frame and make decisions around
the reports they currently have.

She is asking for some certainty and some time frames.

The state needs some certainty. The stalling by Adani
has gone on long enough.

The Premier is fed up with the delays and so are
Queenslanders.

This is a positive step on behalf of the Premier.
Enough is enough with delaying tactics.

Of course this can also be looked at as just simply
another process.

We'll have to wait and see what the results (if any)
will be.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 24 May 2019 2:12:19 PM
Foxy,

"The state needs some certainty. The stalling by Adani has gone on long enough"

Have you been smoking your socks? There is absolutely no doubt that the obstacles and stalling has entirely been on the part of the state.

Hopefully construction at Adani that has been blocked by Jacki Trad's antics will now start within weeks.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 24 May 2019 2:19:57 PM
I heard someone on the ABC who was a proponent of Adani thanking Bob Brown for doing in a week what he (the proponent) hadn't been able to do in years. The Greens still business should be locking Brown up somewhere, given his help in getting the LNP returned to government.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 24 May 2019 3:02:13 PM
Paul Murray in 'The West Australian' wonders if it is time to ditch polls if if they keep getting it wrong - which they do, so the answer is 'yes'.

Fifty-odd :Newspolls meant "nothing".

But, as he reminds us, these "meaningless" polls were used to dump two LNP PM'S in short order.

The media needs to review its "heavy use of polls", thinks Murray; but why should the rest of us care when it it is so much fun to see the know-alls made a fool of. The lazy buggers were using a lot of data pertinent to Turnbull's reign. Had Turnbull still been PM, the predictions of a Labor landslide might have been correct.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 24 May 2019 3:22:09 PM
Well in more than one thread I said this mine would go ahead no matter who won
In a live one now I point out if we do not sell this coal someone else will
Zero emissions reduction in that
Labor was too cute, trying to preserve the Greens preference deal it was playing silly buggers
While buyers exist [they will not always] we should sell it, always
BUT keep the environmental laws in place and closely watched other countries did not and say in Brazil and New Guinea are paying a high price for it still
Posted by Belly, Friday, 24 May 2019 3:39:37 PM
Shadow Minister,

You comment that the State Government of
Queensland has opposed the Adani mine is
not accurate. The state government has
been working on the approval of 2 environmental
management plans. One related to the protection of
the black-throated finch and the other concerning
the ground water management.

However the Premier has now made it clear that she
was "fed up" with the ongoing delays related to
Adani's environmental approvals, ordering her
Coordinator General to expediate approvals currently
sitting with the Queensland Environment Department.

The Premier said in Cairns that the black-throated
finch plan decision was due by May 31st, the ground
water management plan decision was due by June 13.

As she explained:

"I know initially people thought this was months
and what I'm announcing today is - it's just a matter
of weeks."

She want to have these issues resolved.

This has always been a result of Queensland governments
highly responsive actions to the interests and fears
of its diverse communities. Perhaps that's why
Queenslanders have elected Labor governments for 25 out
of 30 years and why they have elected two female Premiers -
Anna Bligh and Annastacis Palaszczuk.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 24 May 2019 4:16:44 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

You write,

"Have you been smoking your socks? There is absolutely no doubt that the obstacles and stalling has entirely been on the part of the state."

What rubbish.

That mine will not become fully operational under Adani, they are way too exposed and would be copping a loss on every tonne they ship which they can only sustain for a short while. This is why they are stalling. The whole thing will go skyward and someone like Clive will step in and get it for a song. However not before both the Federal and State governments pump in public money to subsidise it first.

The whole thing is a crock.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 24 May 2019 8:15:11 PM
Wow! SR is trying to tell us Adani paid for Bob Brown & his cast of idiots, to come up here & bung on a protest.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 24 May 2019 8:53:51 PM
I think Bob Brown should get Australian of the year for highlighting the arrogance of lefty inner city Greens rich from tax payer money trying to stop people earning a decent living. Thanks Bob for Giving ScoMO the election.
Posted by runner, Friday, 24 May 2019 9:45:09 PM
Can't say I trust Adani- think Bhopal disaster- that doesn't mean I wouldn't support other developers such as Clive Palmer.
Posted by Canem Malum, Saturday, 25 May 2019 6:51:02 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Adani just said "We've had enough of this $hit" & pulled out.
The danger here is that Australia is being judged on Palaszczuk's Qeensland.
The way the Qld Govt is going Adani won't be able to afford the registration for their vehicles !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 25 May 2019 7:32:52 AM
Indy the chances of that happening are zero
Adani is being put in place by Australian social welfare, we are nearly paying them in the short term to take our coal
It WAS a Labor act of pure stupidity to stall approval
But we must never ever drop our much needed closely watched environmental restrictions
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 25 May 2019 8:10:55 AM
Belly,
Yep !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 25 May 2019 10:25:43 AM
Belly,

On "our much needed closely watched environmental restrictions", it seems that the annual production of CO2 in Australia can be measured, but I wonder if there is any attempt to measure how much the Australian biota (plant-life, biosphere, natural environment) takes up annually.

Of course, the difference is what we need to concern ourselves about. Is it vast, or is it insignificant ? Either way, are there policies which can be adopted to reduce or minimise it ? Policies which may not be too expensive, but which may also provide lifelong employment and in turn generate other industries ?

Tony Burke has come out in support of Tony Abbott's urging to plant far more trees wherever possible. Of course, not just any old trees, but valuable timber trees, sandalwood, fruit trees, nut trees, date palms, etc., whatever grows well and can be harvested down the track, without doing any damage to the environment. Ideally, all of those trees could be put on drippers (for a couple of dollars each) and come to full maturity far earlier, providing for milling businesses as well as production of fruit, nuts, etc.

But i suppose the key is: how much CO2 does the environment already take up, in relation to the amount produced ? Governments can't do much effective planning if they don't know that.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 25 May 2019 10:39:10 AM
That sounds like a great idea Joe, but unlikely to survive the ratbag greens long term.

Remember the Snowy. Lots of work to develop a little electricity & a huge irrigation resource. After years of carping by ratbag greens, now a lot of that water is wasted, flushed uselessly down the old Snowy, or sent down to South Australia to fill their fresh water playground, dammed by barrages.

Frazer Island had a great plantation timber industry. It supported many jobs on the island, & a much larger number in a huge saw mill in Maryborough. Many down stream minor industries depended on this timber. Now all gone, thanks to ratbag greenies, who have no interest in normal people, other than to ruin their lives.

Start growing timber for harvest, & the greens will start plotting how to prevent that harvest, supported by Labor who want their vote.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 25 May 2019 11:49:49 AM
The only green of the Greens' is the green behind their ears !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 25 May 2019 12:56:44 PM
Loudmouth please, first under international laws it is the end user not the producer who takes the emissions as theirs
Yes every mine has a negative effect on the environment
We are better than this, we do look at and try to fix negative things about mining
NSW coast was sand mined it was devastated, but laws then in place saw new industry just to grow the plants to regrow what today is beautiful country
IF we stall a thousand jobs and tens of millions in taxes because the naked Yowi dancing man may inhabit that site what do we or the environment gain
Someone else will mine and sell coal, it will be used
We the so called lucky country ARE CALLED THAT BECAUSE OF OUR MINERALS will be broke and have coal in time, no one wants
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 25 May 2019 1:57:37 PM
Belly,

My dream is for a string of small nuclear power stations (emitting almost no CO2), providing electricity to a string of desalination plants, right across the north - except, of course, near big rivers - to provide water for tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of square kilometres of varied forests, providing employment for life for thousands of Aboriginal able-bodied people, not just in planting trees, but in nursery work, hydrology, irrigation systems, and eventually milling and associated trades.

Win - win - win - win ! Trees are Green, so I'd expect the Greens to get right behind such an idea, once they get over their aversion to new-technology nuclear power. If they cite Chernobyl or Fukushima, you'd know they're not serious: nobody in their right mind would use 60-year-old technology, or build on fault-lines or in tsunami-prone areas.

Trees could be planted 3-5 m apart, so that would crack out to forty to ninety thousand trees per sq km, with km-wide firebreaks of course. So a few thousand sq km would mean up to a billion trees, irrigated on drippers, coming to maturity between five and thirty years from planting. That would suck a lot of CO2 out of our atmosphere. Then the Greens could focus their attention on the much bigger issue of pollution.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 25 May 2019 4:56:49 PM
Loudmouth- Interesting plan. It's good to see thinking on this scale.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 26 May 2019 12:25:29 AM
Foxy and SR,

Both "environmental plans" that were being "reviewed" had both been signed off and Adani was clear to go until Jacki Trad instigated reviews and appointed green anti Adani activists to do this with a negative outcome 100% guaranteed. This level of corruption by State Labor is the reason QSL labor got thrashed.

Anna's huge backflip is a last ditch attempt to paper over the damage.

That Adani will go ahead is now clear, and the provision of clean high quality coal to India will be enabled.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 26 May 2019 4:21:39 AM
Dear Shadow minister,

Adani's coal ain't all that special;

"The most important factor in determining coal pricing is its energy content. In the case of Carmichael, we’ve known since Adani’s initial regulatory applications in 2010 that this is around 20.7 gigajoules or 4,950 kilocalories per kilogram. That’s roughly in line with the stuff sold by Indonesia’s PT Adaro Energy Tbk. At present, Adaro makes about $66 of revenue per metric ton of coal sold, a number pretty consistent with charts published in its investor materials."

But the sums aren't adding up even now;

"Add all that together and Adani is losing $220 million a year: It would cost about $88 to produce a ton of coal that would sell for $66 on the open market. Those challenging numbers (rather than pressure from environmentalists) look like the best explanation for why banks have refused to lend to Carmichael. Adani has promised to fund the project from its own balance sheet."
http://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-05-23/the-math-on-adani-s-carmichael-coal-mine-doesn-t-add-up?fbclid=IwAR2X4GpSi_0MqjjueESSXkmBVChW40aA4Dq488Nj-VglQvvc-BNeazI4sow

I repeat;

That mine will not become fully operational under Adani, they are way too exposed and would be copping a loss on every tonne they ship which they can only sustain for a short while. This is why they are stalling. The whole thing will go skyward and someone like Clive will step in and get it for a song. However not before both the Federal and State governments pump in public money to subsidise it first.

Want to bet against me?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 27 May 2019 1:30:44 AM
Want to bet against me?
SteeleRedux,
What, after all the sabotage ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 27 May 2019 6:20:01 AM
SR,

I am not a coal commodity expert, but in my youth, being involved in an automated coal washing and loading plant onto trains, and in constructing and maintaining power systems, I would estimate the cost of open cast mining and shipping of the coal to be far less than the bloomberg estimate and closer to the estimate below assuming the train line is in operation.

"Adani said the latest Carmichael scope should ensure the mine is a cheaper producer than 75 per cent of global mines that produce the 5500 product, and the company's slides implied Carmichael's unit costs would be between $US40 per tonne and $US60 per tonne."

Secondly, the Carmichael coal typically has a significantly lower moisture content than Indonesian coal and a similarly low sulphur content, and as a result is considered a low polluting coal.

Finally, if the rail line is built and owned by Adani, it will open up the rest of the Galilee basin, and the rail line will provide an additional revenue stream.

I would be happy to bet against you.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 27 May 2019 7:30:09 AM
In box just now,a pleading email lets stop Adani, the world is full of them!
Before the election, even more now reality must bite these folk on the bottom
Put 100 people in a room, ask what they think of the greens, at best ten will not want their heads on a stick
Now the puffed up middle class never got their hands dirty ,ask them what will unemployed people think if we stop that mine
Voters in Queensland have told us
[Sorry Paul, regard you as a mate]
Now, do the maths
How will BRAZIL selling their coal,instead of us selling ours reduce carbon emissions?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 27 May 2019 11:44:46 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Did you read your link?

"In the current environment, I would say Adani's product would probably fetch in the low to mid $US50 per tonne range. At such a price, Adani's product would still be fetching better prices than the low energy coals produced in India and Indonesia, with the latter product currently selling for about $US38 per tonne."

The Bloomberg article had them making a loss at $66 per tonne while you have them making a profit at $50 per tonne.

So given the production outlooks have been cut by at least 75% what figure do you want to claim as full production?

"Adani initially planned to export 60 million tonnes of thermal coal per year, but scaled that back to 25 million tonnes in 2016 and has now scaled it back a third time under the leadership of highly regarded former BHP and South32 executive, Lucas Dow, with the project expected to ship between 10 million and 15 million tonnes in its early years before considering expansion."

Happy with 10 million tonnes?

So the bet is Adani will not own the mine long enough to produce the very modest 10 million tonnes per year.

Shall we say $100 to a charity of the other's choice?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 27 May 2019 5:32:30 PM
SR,

Your argument is that the mine is not viable, so if the mine continues running under different ownership, your argument still fails.

I propose that the bet is that the mine continues production for at least 5 years for $100 donated to the organisation of the winner's choice.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 3:42:20 AM
Dear Shadow minister,

You wrote;

"Your argument is that the mine is not viable, so if the mine continues running under different ownership, your argument still fails. I propose that the bet is that the mine continues production for at least 5 years for $100 donated to the organisation of the winner's choice."

Ah pedaling away furiously I see.

Well it seems you have about as much faith in Adani as I do. But as I suspect someone like Clive will pick up the venture when Adani exits it may well be viable if you are feeding a power station next to it instead of transporting the coal to India. So no, I will stick with "So the bet is Adani will not own the mine long enough to produce the very modest 10 million tonnes per year."

You up for it or not?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 10:59:34 AM
SR,

You are clearly the one furiously backing away from your position that Adani is not viable. If the plant is as non viable as you claimed, 5 yrs down the line it won't be running and no one would buy it.

If you are worried about a coal power plant, in the event I will give you a free pass and call it a draw mainly because the logistics of a coal fired plant 200 km from anywhere wrt cooling water and network power would be hugely expensive.

If you are finished making excuses I will nominate the payment to the Liberal party.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 1:49:57 PM
The complete economic vandals (Greens and Labour) simply want to send a message to the world that if you want to invest in Australia that they will make it as difficult as possible. Meanwhile they will continue to ensure power prices continue to rise in order to give handouts to the renewable companies. Albo has shown himself to be untrustworthy and will continue with his double speak. Thankfully the slow learning, long suffereing Europeans have finally woken up to the con. The Chinese and Indians must be falling over themselves with laughter over the 'dumb' country.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 2:17:59 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Oh my dear fellow, if someone offers a bet but rather than taking it the other party makes up a bunch of caveats completely changing the original then it is they who are making excuses.

But I did get a chuckle out of this "I will nominate the payment to the Liberal party". So you consider the Liberal Party a charity case?

Well perhaps you are right at least in spirit.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 3:11:33 PM
That steel redux is saying I am right but I am wrong, but in truth they will be a charity case if they do not improve
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 28 May 2019 3:55:03 PM
SR,

You are the one sticking in caveats because you are simply not prepared to back up your claims that Adani was not financially viable.

If it's viable, it will running 5yrs after it starts, if not it won't. Cut the crap about 10m tons, being bought out, or having a power station and put your money where your mouth is.

P.S. I suggested organisation of your choice not charity.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 29 May 2019 6:28:48 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Lol.

You really are slipperier than a butcher's dick aren't you.

So let's go to the video tape.

Me: “That mine will not become fully operational under Adani, they are way too exposed and would be copping a loss on every tonne they ship which they can only sustain for a short while. This is why they are stalling. The whole thing will go skyward and someone like Clive will step in and get it for a song. However not before both the Federal and State governments pump in public money to subsidise it first. Want to bet against me?”

You: “I would be happy to bet against you.”

Me: “So the bet is Adani will not own the mine long enough to produce the very modest 10 million tonnes per year. Shall we say $100 to a charity of the other's choice?”

You; “Your argument is that the mine is not viable, so if the mine continues running under different ownership, your argument still fails.”

Well no I expressly said “That mine will not become fully operational under Adani” because “they are way too exposed”. I'm not sure I could have been any clearer than that.

I replied to you: “I will stick with "So the bet is Adani will not own the mine long enough to produce the very modest 10 million tonnes per year." “You up for it or not?”

You then retorted with “You are clearly the one furiously backing away from your position that Adani is not viable.”

No I demonstrably wasn't.

Cont..
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 30 May 2019 10:00:45 AM
Cont..

You are now attempting to claim “You are the one sticking in caveats because you are simply not prepared to back up your claims that Adani was not financially viable.” which is exactly the opposite of the truth. I have not wavered from that claim one bit. It is you who wants the bet to include any owner not just Adani nor do you want to put a production amount on the bet.

So Clive picking up the mining lease and asset sitting like he does so often but dripping out a few thousand tonnes would still have you winning the bet. Go find yourself a mug because I'm not it.

As to the matter of charity vs organisation I expressly said “Shall we say $100 to a charity of the other's choice?”. Your felt that this should include the Liberal Party. Well if you agree to the original bet I am happy to oblige. My charity of choice will be B'tselem, The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories.
http://www.btselem.org/
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 30 May 2019 10:01:14 AM
Wriggle, wriggle wriggle.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 30 May 2019 11:45:07 AM
Dear Hasbeen,

You doing that thing to the carpet again? Time for your worm pills old chap.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 30 May 2019 1:39:04 PM
SR,

Much of what you say makes you sound like an economic simpleton.

My Brother in law has made $ms in venture capital, starting small businesses, getting them running and making a profit and selling them at market value for several times what he invested. All these businesses are still running and making a profit for their owners, and according to your logic they are were not viable for my BIL?

If the business model of Adani mine is not viable, selling it won't change anything, and no one will touch it with a barge pole. The ownership of the plant is as relevant to its viability as its company logo.

Either the mine is viable or it's not. I'm prepared to put my money where my mouth is without caveats, but you clearly are not.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 31 May 2019 9:11:03 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

You write;

“Much of what you say makes you sound like an economic simpleton.”

Lol. As always when you have no where to go you resort to this rubbish.

Really bloody simple mate. I repeat this is what I said and what you replied.

Me: “That mine will not become fully operational under Adani, they are way too exposed and would be copping a loss on every tonne they ship which they can only sustain for a short while. This is why they are stalling. The whole thing will go skyward and someone like Clive will step in and get it for a song. However not before both the Federal and State governments pump in public money to subsidise it first. Want to bet against me?”

You: “I would be happy to bet against you.”

For emphasis; Me: “That mine will not become fully operational under Adani”. You: “I would be happy to bet against you.”

Well you have since changed your mind and are no longer happy to take the bet. Fine. But there is no need for all the piss weak carry on you are employing to walk away from with what you think might be a modicum of credibility. It just makes you look idiotic.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 31 May 2019 3:28:31 PM
SR,

I knew that you would try and weasel out of a bet. How can you look at yourself in the mirror.

Either it costs less to produce coal than sell it and the mine operates and you are wrong or it costs more and the mine stops.

Take it or leave it.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 1 June 2019 6:33:30 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

Lol.

You are shameless, slippery and petulant but you do amuse me.

So whatever.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 1 June 2019 1:06:49 PM
SR,

As QSL labor panics Adani gets closer to production and me to winning my bet. No wonder you are trying to weasel out.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Sunday, 2 June 2019 5:18:00 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

You originally accepted my bet then withdrew from it to put your own version, which only served to reinforce the central tenet of mine.

By cutting Adani loose you have proved my point magnificently and I thank you for doing so.

You are a real chump, I mean champ.

Lol.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 2 June 2019 10:18:25 AM
SR

Now you are just lying.

You proposed a bet with a variety of caveats and I proposed a similar bet without your escape clauses.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 3 June 2019 4:02:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy