The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > New Start = No Start

New Start = No Start

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Labor, should they win the upcoming election must stop pussyfooting around about a review of 'Newstart'. A new Labor government should up Newstart from a starvation payment, to a livable allowance immediately, in my opinion.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 16 May 2019 5:51:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

The Poverty in Australia Report 2018, tries to ensure
that the Australian community understands the
prevalence and profile of poverty in Australia. It
uses the latest data from the Australian Bureau of
Statistics (ABS).

We're told that despite Australia enjoying consistent
economic growth over the last 3 decades and currently
ranked as the 2nd wealthiest country in the world -
poverty rates have remained entrenched at a high
level.

There are more than 3 million people living below
the poverty line in Australia, including 739,000
children.

Unsurprisingly those experiencing poverty at the
highest rates are those relying on government
allowances - youth allowance (64%) and Newstart (55%).

Australia, we're told in the report, currently lacks
a poverty reduction plan. As yet we don't even have
an agreed national definition of poverty or regular
monitoring and reporting by governments on progress to
address it.

This has to change and hopefully it will be taken on
after the election on Saturday - should a new government
be elected.

http://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ACOSS_Poverty-in-Australia-Report_Web-Final.pdf
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 16 May 2019 11:07:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Paul,

I wholeheartedly agree, but the name "Newstart" ought to be changed: the poor indeed ought to have minimal living standards, but that's because they are genuinely poor, not because they pretend to be looking for a job.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 16 May 2019 11:18:25 AM
Yes I agree, we have made promises in this area, and need to follow on and do it
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 16 May 2019 12:47:09 PM
New start is of course not meant to be a living wage, it is meant to help people between jobs. Give a living wage to many of the bludgers around here, & you would never get them to consider looking for work.

No one is entitled to live long term with out really trying to get a job. There are other forms of support for those who are not able to work for a living.

Foxy do you actually believe that stuff. These bleeding heart reports always look like they are done by someone who's income depends on the amount of money the long suffering tax payer has to front up for welfare.

I have not changed my view of this, even though I am now a recipient, not a payer of welfare. I am slightly embarrassed when I see pensioner organisations bitching they don't get enough of other peoples money. After all it is their & my kids who have to pay for that welfare, not some nebulous government department.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 16 May 2019 12:52:56 PM
teaching people how to work and take responsibilty instead of looking for handouts would be well spent money. Then again the marxist need multitudes sucking on the public purse to control the people. That's why they want to take away from those who have worked all their lives.

Personally I think if we are to raise new start we should cut all those being paid by the taxpayer by 15% and use that money. We would miss nothing in production.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 16 May 2019 1:06:06 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy