The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NSW drivers have license taken away if over the limit

NSW drivers have license taken away if over the limit

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. All
Tough new law has been introduced and will see driver's license taken at the booze bus, for even low range
So ok but what about at least as dangerous using phone while driving
Too cruise control, in some hands it has killed
Our road toll is rising but you can drive a car for ten or twelve hours virtually asleep without being charged
Safety first but please include drive while using phone
Posted by Belly, Friday, 10 May 2019 3:57:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
NSW has seen a number of people before the courts after killing someone while using the phone while driving
Lets not get in to the nanny state stuff no driver should have the right to put any one at risk
A P plate driver will have no license if they drive with one drink, it is the lawnow, but this time it is automatic
Posted by Belly, Friday, 10 May 2019 6:03:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
License ban should not extent to work driving as this will cause more problems than it solves.
Surely, an employee will be seen by others before they sign out a work vehicle.
Posted by individual, Friday, 10 May 2019 11:42:58 PM
Sorry indy death is forever,it will not care if it is mum taking the kids to school or a tradie
The new law is harsh, as it probably should be
But is it going to work?
Both truck drivers and P platers have a zero tolerance now
Deaths still happen
Mobile phones are surely at the very least,just as bad
Put a kill switch in cars that stops the motor if you pick up the phone
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 11 May 2019 6:34:17 AM
Let's be fair, simply apply the same penalties to vehicle drivers as apply to licenced firearm owners.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 11 May 2019 7:40:19 AM
Belly,
Sober speeders have fatal accidents too. Preventing someone from working is not an answer to drink driving. A fine & restricting driving to/for work would be a good start.
I have made a point whenever I go for a beer, to ask what alcohol free beer they sell. Not a single Pub sell any ! There is a problem already.
Education ! Do they teach on the subject of social behaviour & alcohol consumption in schools ? Doesn't seem like it. The drinking culture in Australia has always been a de-railed. Start with educating teachers to an acceptable social standard so they can then pass on a healthier mentality. I spoke with a chap who's out-of-control grandson went to a bootcamp & who came back a totally changed young man. He said only two out of a group of ten failed.
Provide more sane social rules & promote a healthier mentality & people will change for the better. All that's needed is to treat them like people. How can we expect the next generation to be organised when ours is the one that's so flawed ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 11 May 2019 7:52:50 AM
So? They will drive without a licence with almost zero chance of being caught if they take it easy. There is nothing revolutionary about licence cancellation; it's been happening for years and, like all pissy little punishments has very little effect. Jail is the best way to deal with these potential killers. Vehicle confiscation and, in repeat or extreme cases, crushing.

When banned drivers are occasionally caught, their 'sentence' is just a further ban. Lock the bastards up!
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 11 May 2019 10:16:47 AM
Lock the bastards up!
ttbn,
That should also apply to incompetent & corrupt Law makers ! A law should be there to help make society better, not worse by making it difficult in the extreme to deal with daily life.
I agree with you that those who don't have the mentality to discipline themselves, should have their vehicles impounded.
Safety is paramount but when safety becomes unaffordable or impossible to comply with then it is only natural that people seek alternatives. If we expect a better society then we must start on ourselves & our authorities to do the right thing.
Our jails are full with people who shouldn't be in them in the first place whilst those who should be locked away are running free courtesy of integrity-devoid Lawyers & incompetents in Authority !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 11 May 2019 12:01:03 PM
Yep Licence suspension is a joke.

A neighbour copped a silly suspension. He had a 0.052 suspension, & this time his friends had parked his car just out of the tavern, & he was asleep in the thing, sleeping it off. He was arrested & taken to a police station a long way away. He rang me to go & get him & his car.

He got a 6 month suspension, & a year of a breathalyser fitted to his car after that. A bit tough for someone sleeping.

He's a plumber & had to drive or loose his house. He organised a different ute & drove for the 6 months. The police had the number of his car & ute highlighted, & his wife was stopped & checked a number of times. He did not drive either expecting this.

I don't drink, but feel the whole thing is more revenue raising than a safety measure, at least the way it is currently done. I don't want to share the road with drunks, but feel the way this is handled by the cops & magistrates today, is about as useless as tits on a bull.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 11 May 2019 12:31:44 PM
May I recommend once again the SMH this day?
NSW has an awful record in the last two years for death and maiming on our roads
Two stories worth reading, a woman charged with running over cyclist, dragging him for 50 yards
Then reversing over him, he died
Another, *on a freeway 110 kph*, man stopped in lane, bringing about an 11 car pile up
We see about one smash while using phone a week
We have a lunatic law too
All cars trucks buses must, must, slow to 40 klm when an emergency with lights flashing, is stopped on the side of the road
If you need a cruise control in my view you should not be driving
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 11 May 2019 12:55:38 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-11/fatal-crashes-cyclist-and-m4-pile-up-two-charged/11104024
One link, the other is equally terrifying
My state has the highest number of convictions for drivers but
It is said 50 percent of low range drivers leave the court without being fined or any thing
We do, if you read our daily recording of such events, seem to be giving driver's licenses out too easily
The other highlighted story, was a fatal, it too is purely horrible
My first driving instructor was my work forman, he over and again warned never take your eyes of the road
I consider myself still a petrol head, learn every day, but how do I defend myself against the driver chatting away on the phone, car on cruise control or even putting makeup on?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 12 May 2019 6:38:37 AM
Belly I think you are right about licence tests being too easy. Now I'm going to have to get racist.

There is a New Zealand cops show my lady watches, which I have caught occasionally. It regularly shows people stopped for bad driving on some bridge in a city. I only see it very occasionally, but have been surprised at the high percentage of Asian drivers stopped for driving dangerously, & for using phones while driving.

I don't have any idea of how many Asians live in or visit NZ, but it can't be any near as high a percentage as are stopped for bad driving on this show. I also have no idea if these people are residents or tourists, but it appears they have a NZ drivers licences.

Personally I don't find all that much poor driving around here, but I don't have much city driving these days. I do find a slightly annoying number of very slow drivers on my country main road. Being held up is annoying particularly with the growth in double no overtaking lines today, butter better granny drive at a speed she feels & probably is safe at, than drive faster than she is comfortable with.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 12 May 2019 9:39:01 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/driver-refused-bail-over-horrific-m4-fatal-crash-20190511-p51mb6.html
The link is confronting to say the least
Both in todays press
Hasbeen if I am to have any claim to my often used truth matters I Must agree with you
My state, time and again, this past week, see's charges laid for corruption in its motor registry services
It is too easy to get a license too easy to kill because you are texting while driving and any claim grog the number one problem is blind
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 12 May 2019 12:50:22 PM
I think that they should have their licence cancelled for 10 years and their cars crushed or sold.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 12 May 2019 5:57:25 PM
The restricted private Pilot's license in Australia in 1973 was way easier than a Driver's license back in Europe in 1970.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 12 May 2019 7:40:10 PM
Speaking of Pilot's Licences; flying a light plane on a clear sunny day takes a lot less concentration than driving a car with the same conditions.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 12 May 2019 9:22:27 PM
Is Mise,
Driving on open country roads on a clear day with no traffic is even easier.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 12 May 2019 11:49:28 PM
Unfortunately I can not find a link to another tragic death in NSW
Last week [I think] a young woman, skylarking on her mobile, believe it or not live streaming herself bought about a tragic death
Her own, an innocent man [in the other care] nearly died and will take a long time to recover
Believe it or not, her passengers live streamed themselves in hospital!
Surely *no one ever has the right to endanger other road users?*
And surely using the phone is every bit as bad as low range drink driving
Posted by Belly, Monday, 13 May 2019 6:51:00 AM
Many of you have rightly cited, the use of Moblie Phones as a cause of serious accidents. And I couldn't agree more. However, that should include police members using a Mobile, unless it's directly in relation to 'urgent duty driving' ('two's & blues') or in a direct criminal investigation.

Too many police use their phones, for private reasons, while I/C of a police vehicle, availing themselves of the general exemption made for police on duty. Police have caused some horrendous accidents as well, some even fatal - therefore they must also be held accountable like any other road user.
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 13 May 2019 11:31:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/snapchat-crash-victim-speaks-out-about-headon-collision-which-put-him-in-a-coma/news-story/50ea497df266960c6b6eaccd240968e0
o sung wo this link shows a far difernt ues of the phone, and its tragic end
Some years ago my ham radio club, then thriving, contacted the federal minister for communications
Mobils,the brick type, had just arrived
Can you still use radio while driving was our question.
The answer was yes
Police, at least Highway, seem to break many laws, hope doing so does not lead to a death
Posted by Belly, Monday, 13 May 2019 11:38:09 AM
Individual,

"Is Mise,
Driving on open country roads on a clear day with no traffic is even easier."

Unless in kangaroo country, goat or deer country,
or all combined.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 13 May 2019 4:47:50 PM
Is Mise,
well, if you consider that many drivers share the same degree of mentality as those animals you mention then yes, the recipẻ for disaster is complete !
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 May 2019 7:19:32 PM
Thank you BELLY for your input, I couldn't agree with you more, at the inherent dangers of using a mobile while driving. Many people think it's just another source of revenue gathering, far from it. Still, how do you convince our young drivers to believe using a mobile is so hazardous?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 13 May 2019 8:56:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wo, like your profession mine [as road worker] saw me see things no one should have to
Police forced out of the job because of dreadful trauma, death in numbers we[thankfully] no longer see
But phones are killing more every day, on our roads, not always those using them'
So it remains my view if grog is bad, and it is, why are we soft on phone use?
We will see new toughter laws here but why must it be after more deaths
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 14 May 2019 5:45:58 AM
If I had my way, a traffic fine would be 10% of the driver's weekly income ! The second fine would double & so on. The fine amount should reset every 12 months !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 15 May 2019 6:17:13 PM
individual my bet is taking the right to drive away would cost more
On posting this thread it was said [official figures] just over 50 percent of low range drivers got off scott free
The new law sees them without a license right then, on the roadside
But using the phone while driving? even texting?
And in some older drivers using the cruise control may see them ract to trouble very much slower
The road is no place for inattention ever
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 16 May 2019 7:13:05 AM
I believe that taking away their license is socially & economically unwise. By all means take away the recreational use but removing or denying work driving is more irresponsible as it causes whole families to suffer the loss of income AND it is a further burden on taxpayers because the other option is unemployment.
We need to work on solving social problems not create them !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 16 May 2019 8:47:52 AM
Can not agree individual
Truth is the penalty should hurt enough so they do not reoffend
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 16 May 2019 12:38:57 PM
Belly,
I thought that's what I said ? It should hurt the offender, not everyone !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 16 May 2019 5:40:55 PM
Well indy fine 10 percent of income v no drivers license for three months
Think the lost license would be more expensive
Remember for some ten percent of income is not much at all
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 May 2019 5:53:55 AM
Belly,
What's the prospect of someone retaining their employment if their license is gone for three months ? Nil !
Still being allowed to drive for work will keep a family together instead of making it dysfunctional & become yet another burden on the rest of us.
Laws were created to help & protect people not send them into misery & dependency on welfare.
10% of weekly income for a basic speeding, red light etc fine would bring more revenue, keep roads safer & keep the booked driver away from Centrelink.
You're viewing a fine from a point of punishing, I see it as an opportunity to open the driver's eyes ! If you were to support a National Service instead of opposing it, traffic violations would drastically reduce & less mayhem would result on our roads. Vindictiveness & misplaced kindness have proven to be unworkable, discipline on the other hand has proven to benefit society ! It also ensures more accommodation in jail for real criminals !
Posted by individual, Friday, 17 May 2019 7:40:04 AM
Belly,

"And in some older drivers using the cruise control may see them ract to trouble very much slower"

Seems that you don't know much about Cruise Control, hitting the brake stops the control instantly and as breaking in an emergency is fairly normal then the reaction time is not impaired in any way by CC.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 17 May 2019 10:34:54 AM
is mise I know that but my claim is still true
Indy fact, a very rich driver will regard a fine as best reason to continue driving badly
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 May 2019 12:58:30 PM
Belly,

"is mise I know that but my claim is still true"

How is it true?
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 17 May 2019 2:29:59 PM
Ise Mise for once I wish my claim was not true
A road worker, for 22 years, another sometimes poster[upset with me because of my view on one nation] could tell
I saw too many dead drivers and others on the Nabiac/Taree/Bulahdelah death strip
Up to four in a single event
Sleepy drivers left the cruise control on and failed to take it of AFTER their car lost control
Too blokes not much older than us, had to be turned around after turning onto the freeway going the wrong way
I am not looking for a war, have your own view but let me have mine
indy,Sydney front page, socialite laughs off 240 parking fines
Take her car away no more smirking at the law
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 May 2019 3:29:16 PM
Belly,

"Sleepy drivers left the cruise control on and failed to take it of AFTER their car lost control"

That's not the fault of Cruise Control, sleepy drivers drive off the road in manual cars as well.

One thing that CC does is lets one exercise the right leg, which is of particular importance from a health and safety view, especially for anyone subject to Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 17 May 2019 4:39:58 PM
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/teenage-girl-17-dies-texting-boyfriend-while-driving/news-story/e97f1e76e9854a5580865d42be21114a
I offer what could have been one of tens maybe as many as a hundred deaths brought about by phones use while driving
IS MIS I hold the view some, not all,use cruise control because they want to relax, the road is no place to relax
Posted by Belly, Friday, 17 May 2019 5:49:38 PM
If there was a National service people wouldn't get a chance to be so stupid in the first place.
So, all those against a NS better come up with an alternative.
Ignoring stupidity is not an option !
Posted by individual, Friday, 17 May 2019 6:00:10 PM
indy national service is not a cure all
Again and again you propose it but it already exists in some countrys and changes nothing
Recruits do not get an extra serving of brains on entering such'
One day, maybe, some form of education after leaving school, for offenders even long term unemployed may come
Not in firing guns
But it would be more of a service to themselves
Using a phone while driving will become a crime,will see long term loss of license and will be under control
But many will die first
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 18 May 2019 5:02:59 AM
indy national service is not a cure all
Belly,
I never said it was ! Stop twisting the context of comments ! What I say is that it would go a long way towards a healthier mentality & therefore a better society !
Posted by individual, Saturday, 18 May 2019 3:18:20 PM
This is worth a read and contains a few surprises.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/mobilephones/know-the-rules.html#faq5
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 18 May 2019 3:40:16 PM
is mise weird indeed surely as the needless deaths mount they will change that?
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 19 May 2019 4:17:19 PM
There are too many factors involved to mention here but there is one common denominator, mentality !
Natural common sense mentality is being expunged as soon as kids enter pre-school. That insidious trend needs to be stopped. We need intelligent people not indoctrinated leftovers come out of our education facilities !
Posted by individual, Monday, 20 May 2019 6:52:07 AM
It's worth remembering that Cruise Control (in one form or another) has been a feature of some motor vehicles for over a hundred years, so it's not much of a problem.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 20 May 2019 10:45:42 AM
ismise true, however think with me on this, do you think no one ever, will relax that bit too much because of it
Indy yes too but people do walk in to man holes poles and even out in front of cares at pedestrian crossings
Is there ever reason to use one even text while driving?
Posted by Belly, Monday, 20 May 2019 4:05:31 PM
but people do walk in to man holes poles and even out in front of cares at pedestrian crossings
Belly,
Yep, that sort of thing is now beyond a joke. People simply stop thinking as soon as their phone beeps.
That's why I'm such a strong advocate for a National Service where young people can purge the indoctrination from school & Uni. Two years among normal people will restore much of the common sense that was denied to them as part of education.
Posted by individual, Monday, 20 May 2019 5:31:42 PM
Belly,

I don't think that anyone is going to go to sleep or relax too much because of cruise control.
People go to sleep because of tiredness and the fact that ones' right foot is on or off the accelerator pedal isn't going to make a difference.

It might even be that cruise control lessens the reaction time in braking as the foot may have less distance to travel to the brake and the mind doesn't have to cease one function to initiate another.

Perhaps only a fraction of a fraction of a second but that could equal one inch of stopping distance; the difference between a hit and a miss.

Of far more danger are hand throttles and most of my vehicles have one,
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 20 May 2019 6:25:46 PM
I don't think that anyone is going to go to sleep or relax too much because of cruise control.
Is Mise,
Better think again !
Posted by individual, Monday, 20 May 2019 10:54:16 PM
Sorry is mise, just one corner,no longer a part of the highway
Known as the steps and stairs, 18 truck rollovers 11 deaths
Even fellow truck drivers said he/they went to sleep
Wotton bends, even more rollovers deaths, early hours of the morning, sleep?
Head ons Hawks Hill, four in one smash, two catholic nuns two men three lane straight road ,head on? one on wrong side of the road
People have micro sleeps behind the wheel, if in cruise control that can be fatal
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 8:37:34 AM
Belly,

"People have micro sleeps behind the wheel, if in cruise control that can be fatal"

They can be fatal in or out of cruise control, tiredness is what causes them, and such tiredness can cause the foot to press harder on the accelerator thus increasing the velocity of impact.

Hand throttles are much more dangerous than cruise control can ever be.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 9:22:51 AM
Been a very long time ago that I drove anything with a hand throttle
Never used it even then
Yesterday NSW news caught up with this story
Confirming instant loss of license on the roadside for any reading over the limit
And CONFIRMED our courts have been getting it wrong, cashed up brought good lawyers and walked away scott free said to be 51 percent
Next must be killer mobile phones
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 21 May 2019 2:16:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy