The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > PETA calls for a ban on wool

PETA calls for a ban on wool

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
"URGENT: Tell boohoo to Stand by Its Decision to Ban Wool
Online fashion retailer boohoo group – whose brands include boohoo, boohooMAN, PrettyLittleThing, and Nasty Gal – decided to withdraw its ban on wool. Despite knowing how sheep are abused in the industry and that wool is one of the most environmentally damaging materials, the retailer made the unethical decision not to go ahead with the ban."

Just a few more Aussie jobs and livelihoods being rubbished by PETA.
http://secure.peta.org.au/page/39560/action/1?utm_source=PETA%20AU::E-Mail&utm_medium=E-News&utm_campaign=0519::gen::PETA%20AU::E-Mail::E-News::::Australia
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 3 May 2019 5:48:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
PETA along with the RSPCA have saved me money
No longer even think of donating to both
The former is quite childish
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 4 May 2019 12:05:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee. It used to be 'silly as a sheep'; now it's silly as a PETA member.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 4 May 2019 1:17:52 PM
All over the world, every day, thousands of
animals are abused.

Animal cruelty and animals lack of protection is
gaining attention across different avenues -
including food production, entertainment, tourism,
and now fashion.

How do we stop it? Or better still - can we stop it?
Money makes the world go round as they say.
I guess all we can do is consider animals in our decision
making when buying products. Hit organisations providing
the good and services in their pockets to get the message
across as to what we are willing to accept and support.

Share information of what we learn with our family and
friends. And finally it would help if we supported animal
protection charities. I support the "International Fund
for Animal Welfare," (IFAW) - and have done for years.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 4 May 2019 1:52:02 PM
Dear Foxy,

We can stop it in two ways:

* . never use sheep again, and let them go extinct; [ I'm not sure what fabric we could use; cotton ? grown in Australia ? Skins ? But we have to kill animals for that, and they may prefer a bit of mistreatment to certain death. Or synthetics ? Processed from fossil fuels ? ] Perhaps we can process some sorts of fabric from algae.

* . or of course, treat them humanely, like we should treat all animals. Farmers aren't dills or monsters, they know that, their animals are their livelihoods.

But then again, if you're a farmer and you need advice about your production processes, just ask a city person, ideally a Green.

Love,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 4 May 2019 2:09:32 PM
It appears that historically - the Australian Wool
Industry has seen sheep being abused for a long time.

However, justice is finally coming to shearing sheds
around Australia. The following link explains:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-03-01/sheep-shearers-plead-guilty-animal-cruelty-western-victoria/8314678
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 4 May 2019 2:58:16 PM
When did you go overboard Foxy. You have gone ridiculous now.

I have watched farmers with tears running down their faces as they shot a thousand of their sheep in a sever drought. It was the only way to save at least some, when no adjustment was available.

Have you ever been on a farm girl? Some of these people have carried on breading a prized flock of sheep, started by their grandfathers. It is not money, but love of their animals, & a desire to improve the quality of their flock.

They spend nights studying genetics, trying to come up with the very best geans to add to their flock through ram purchase to improve some trait. If you think these sheep are just wool or meat producers you are nothing but a fool.

On a better thought. The greens want growing in Oz cotton banned, so no cotton; PETA want wool banned, some other mob want meat banned, so no leather, & the Green idiots want the oil left in the ground, so no synthetic fiber.

Wow! Won't it be fun with all those naked people wandering around.

Yes I know the lefties have dumbed down our education, & universities, but are these people really so stupid, or do they not care, as they want to eliminate people, other than themselves, anyway.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 4 May 2019 6:02:54 PM
"...but are these people really so stupid,"

Yep, or truly evil.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 4 May 2019 6:27:58 PM
Hi Hasbeen,

It's notable that small children tend to think in terms of absolutes - good OR bad; all OR nothing. When one grows up, one realises that life is full of necessary but unpreferred compromises, some minor, some much more difficult to make.

It's a bit like politics, a winning party may have to horse-trade and make deals which it otherwise wouldn't. So I can understand Labor doing deals with the Greens, and the Coalition doing deals even with Palmer. Otherwise they would get nowhere. Not that I would freely advocate such low tactics.

There never will be a perfect world, a Utopia. People's views will vary wildly from Alt-Right to Fruitcake-Left, with the majority in between trying to get by. Democracy doesn't mean that 'our' party gets in, just that the one with the most seats or votes does. And we have to cop it. And campaign harder for 'our' person next time.

We have to make peace with our neighbours, we have to tolerate that our kid's schoolteacher or our electrician has some batty ideas, we have to be a bit indulgent at Uncle Wally's outrageous suggestions about certain groups. That's life.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 4 May 2019 6:28:02 PM
Dear Hassie,

Why don't you read the link I gave you old chap?

It's not me making stuff up and looking ridiculous.
It's you not reading facts and cases - given by
the Australian Wool Industry who's looking a bit
silly. I'm merely providing information.

As for my knowledge of farms?

My formative years were spent in farming country.
Dad's mate owned a dairy, and there was a riding
school nearby where I learned to ride.
We also had chooks and ducks ourselves (my job to feed
them). And I also have family
who are stud farmers in Quirindi. One of their prize
bulls was named after my eldest son.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 4 May 2019 6:38:57 PM
I don't think we should ban wool or lamb chops.
But I think the least we can do it try to treat our animals nicely.
It can't be that hard, can it?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 4 May 2019 7:16:21 PM
What would happen to the 74 million sheep in Australia, still growing wool?
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 4 May 2019 9:26:54 PM
There's a lot of really stupid stuff about animals going on. Ban wool. Don't eat meat. Now the Western Australian government has come up with guidelines for the health and welfare of dogs.

Training should be stopped or modified when it causes the dog to be anxious or distressed.

Minimum size dimensions for doghouses and kennels.

Avoid speed bumps when driving with a dog and carry a canine first-aid kit when going for a run.

Drive with care and try to minimise bumps, jolts and swerving with a dog passenger.

Dogs not be tethered for a period exceeding two hours in 24 hours.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 4 May 2019 9:44:24 PM
Stupidity is well established in the pseudo-intellectual/intellectual circles.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 4 May 2019 10:40:33 PM
PETA a militant lie factory paying people to film things they may very well only do, because they need to do it for that film
Not unlikely to lie
Not worth the air they breath
And of no real help to animals in distress
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 5 May 2019 6:30:07 AM
There is no need for animal cruelty under any circumstance, whether it be on a commercial scale such as a farm, or towards the family pet. Many excuse cruelty to animals as being a necessary part of human existence, its not. I accept the exploitation of animals as being reasonable, but I don't believe it has to be done in such a way as it often is, with efficiency and profit put before animal welfare.

There are many recent examples of extreme abuse of animals for commercial gain, live sheep exports, the extreme cruelty undertaken towards Australian cattle in foreign slaughterhouses. Closer to home and continuing right now is battery chicken farming and sow stall pork production, among many other forms of cruelty towards animals. When a drought hits a farmer and a thousand head of sheep have to be put down because of their terrible state of existence, that to is a form of unintentional cruelty.

I don't expect the bear baiters and cock fighters on the forum, our good old band of Usual Suspects are going to accept criticism when it comes to animal welfare, its something they see as their right, and its stuff the animals as far as they are concerned.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 5 May 2019 6:54:43 AM
Then you get those wharped mentality ones who pose with a beautiful animal they just killed !
I never did & never will understand that ! Same with the fishing lot.
If you're going to eat it fine but why the need for posing ?? All they really are displaying is their under developed mentality. TV is even aiding that idiocy with such shows !
What I'd like to know with these PETA people is if they ban wool & petroleum/coal products then what will they wear when it gets cold ? No synthetic or woollen clothing !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 5 May 2019 7:29:21 AM
A poacher in Africa was recently knocked flat by an elephant before being eaten by a lion. Some would see justice in that.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 5 May 2019 11:14:56 AM
Ttbn,

Sounds about right. I hope the elephant wasn't hurt.

So let's see:

* . we shouldn't be eating meat animals of any sort (including fish);

* . we shouldn't be using animals for fibre;

* . we shouldn't be irrigating drier areas for crops, especially for cotton or rice;

* . we shouldn't be mining anything;

* . we shouldn't be cutting down trees;

But:

* . we should legislate for a 'living wage' for everyone, even those not working: 'he who does not work, yet shall he eat.'

* . we should be preparing for 100 % electric cars by massive investments (i.e. subsidies) in renewable energy, and at much cheaper prices for households;

* . we should end disease, end poverty, stop evil, start good, ASAP.

Modern life is a bit of a circus, isn't it ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 5 May 2019 12:54:40 PM
.... and all drawings of penises on ballot papers will count as a vote for the Greens.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 5 May 2019 1:05:18 PM
By all means, let's take advice from PETA about how to treat animals...

http://animalmedcenter.com/petas-euthanasia-rates-critics-fuming/
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 5 May 2019 1:35:53 PM
//and all drawings of penises on ballot papers will count as a vote for the Greens//

ttbn; And those sticking dollar bills down the bras of strippers will be counted as a vote for the CONSERVATIVES! We now have three conservatives at this election.

Your kinda guys, the type YOU support. The three dumb monkeys, Fraser Anning, Corny Banana and Stevo Dickson!
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 5 May 2019 2:28:17 PM
It would take someone better than Bill Leak to reproduce a depiction of the Dickson incident on the ballot paper in the time it takes to draw a dick, so your riposte falls well short.

But oh! , the faux outrage of you usual suspects whose opinions are based entirely on your hatred of Pauline Hanson and One Nation. Unlike those of us who think ‘dirty creep’ and move on, you noise-makers don’t care about the moral aspects of Dickson’s drunken behaviour in a sleazy strip joint, where females are happy to be touched-up if there are banknotes in the sweaty hands. It’s what it’s all about, for heaven’s sake! It’s a non-story, similar to the Joyce peccadillo, which has been forgotten and will not have any effect on that buffoon’s his electoral life.

Dickson never had, or has (he remains on the ticket) a chance of being elected.

The thing that gets me is the total lack of sensitivity Al Jezeera and Channel 9 have shown for Dickson’s wife and children. Spare a thought for them and their shame and embarrassment. Not the Greens of course, who will be sniggering and snorting about it for weeks. There is not much going on in their lives.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 5 May 2019 4:44:51 PM
Paul1405,
Reaching for new lows in trying to compare a stripper with a hypocrite !
You should apologise to a stripper next time you visit such an establishment.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 5 May 2019 6:54:44 PM
If you are in South East Queensland tomorrow the 'The Pasifika Vibes Festival' is on at Lawnton. With lots of entertainment, Island and Maori foods, art and craft stalls, Polynesian and Maori dancing etc. Should be a fun day out. Only a gold coin for entry. A bit of multiculturalism for you ttbn, and the rest of the fun loving brigade on the forum, I invite you to come and enjoy yourselves.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 5 May 2019 7:47:52 PM
I was thinking we should ban toilets
Think how much water we could save
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 6 May 2019 6:59:06 PM
AC,

Good idea, the return of the "48 Door Sedan" would create a number of jobs, pans could be made lighter so women could also be dunny can persons.

The home gardener could directly compost or we could encourage methane production for home use, particularly cooking and heating, thus reducing electricity costs.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2165878/The-sweet-smell-clean-energy-New-toilet-turns-waste-fuel-power-home.html

Lots more on Google etc.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 6 May 2019 7:30:30 PM
P eople
E ating
T asty
A nimals.

I've been a member for years.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 6 May 2019 7:32:55 PM
What bothers me about these econazis is that anyone even listens to them.

The vast majority of farmers go out of their way to avoid any cruelty or suffering to their livestock and that there are a very tiny minority that don't comply is no justification for group punishment.

The equivalent would be to detain all muslims because of a handful of extremists.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 7 May 2019 10:37:47 AM
"What bothers me about these econazis is that anyone even listens to them".

We can't help but hear their noise - screaming and shouting as they do - but 'listen'? When people keep on with the same boring, ridiculous mantras and grunts, people stop listening.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 7 May 2019 11:06:11 AM
SM,

"The equivalent would be to detain all muslims because of a handful of extremists"

That's not equivalent because farm animals do not adhere to the Koran.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 7 May 2019 12:01:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy