The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Conversation About this Election

A Conversation About this Election

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...
  13. 56
  14. 57
  15. 58
  16. All
yuyutsu you must admit both sides do help their own followers
That may be the problem
We will hear Bill promise to work for us all, as winner always has done, but in the end the country needs all round improvement
Well aware of the loss of would be parliamentarians on both sides
Seems not enough talent exists on both sides
Had I been younger I would have worked very hard to be some sitting members office person, the sure way to a seat in the house
That too is a problem both sides need ordinary men and women to show voters any one can get a seat
We are about to get a truly reformist Labor government waiting to see that reform
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 2 May 2019 11:27:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Belly,

You mentioned "both sides" 4 times in your last post.

We need to kick this habit: there is so much more in the world beyond these stupid Siamese-twins puppets and their staged wars. Looking at their actual worth and behaviour, none would survive without the other!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 2 May 2019 11:41:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear kirby483,

Oh good lord mate, really? And you teach economics?

Okay perhaps if we take this a little more slowly. Let's use your property example to try and thrash it out. There is a property tax and it is called rates. It is derived from the value of the property.

If it was treated like franking credits are at the moment your unemployed person would be able to go to the Council and claim the full amount of rates paid on an investment property as a handout because they are a low income person.

That doesn't happen does it. Both the investment property and the company are taxed entities but we currently treat them differently. Rates costs should certainly be treated as an expense and used against the tax owing from income on the investment property.

Yet we don't get to claim a cash hand out for the rates paid do we.

Why should company tax be any different?

Dear Hasbeen,

You said; “As my mother used to say, there are none so dumb as those who don't want to understand.”

I get the sense she may have been talking about you rather than to you. Look, I understand if you are struggling to get your head around the issue, it is a bit complex. But little snipes from the sideline kind of highlights that fact and are less than flattering for you. Probably best to keep hush while kirby483 and I tease this out.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 2 May 2019 12:02:48 PM
I got the flyer from the AEC in the mail
'Your Official Guide to the 2019 Federal Election
Saturday 18 May 2019
Your vote will help shape Australia'

A guide - oh great that's handy.
I'd like to know all about the candidates and their policies.
- So I can make an informed choice -
Lets have a look.

What!?
What IS this crap?
No info on any candidates or their polices.

How to vote in the House of Representative and the Senate

House of Representatives:
'On the green ballot you must number 'every box' in the order of your choice.'

Senate:
Above the Line - 'Number at least 6 boxes.'
Below the Line - 'Number at least 12 boxes.'

Hold on this is a scam.
'Order of Preference'

What if I don't think that these people have what it takes to govern in the first place?
Why MUST I preference them?

I'd just as soon as preference a monkey from the zoo;
Than preference any of the kind of feces throwing monkeys in Parliament we already have...

And I've got to find 6 or 12 I'm willing to preference?

So let me get this right a person could run on a campaign of pro-crime pro-murder pro-wife-basher pro-drugs pro-pedophilia etc;
And if there's not enough people on the ballot form then we've still got to preference them?

Voting's kind-of flawed, and stupid.

So this taxpayer funded pamphlet represents the pinnacle of democracy in our country?
Democracy's merits are echoed across the globe by virtue signalling politicians everywhere.

What a bloody joke.

Why don't you try making a system that's not fatally flawed?
One that doesn't have the seeds of its own destruction built in?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 2 May 2019 12:38:34 PM
A retiree funded by welfare, i.e. a pension, with no other income stream than via a shareholding, receives an imputed credit.

A self-funded retiree, i.e. a person not funded by welfare, with no other income stream than via a shareholding, does not receive an imputed credit.

Why is how a retirement is funded relevant to whether or not they should receive an imputed credit?

All the false rhetoric on this about supposed taxpayer 'gifts' and 'cost' to the budget is simply justification for a money grab.

All the false rhetoric about 'loop-holes' and supposed 'subsidies' in relation to NG and CGT is simply justification for a money grab.

I can actually support death taxes, but all this lying class-warfare BS in the name of supposed 'fairness' leaves me cold.

Bill gets away without facing up to the cost of his renewables target, gambling again that his truth-cost-benefit mix will pull him through. Notwithstanding Germany's abject failure with emissions reductions and cost, Oz is now on an identical path
Posted by Luciferase, Thursday, 2 May 2019 2:14:05 PM
Bill Shorten won't tell even the ABC what his climate actions (which won't make any difference to the actual climate) will cost, so the economists have done if for him:

$264 billion, and a loss of 167,000 jobs. No wonder Bill refuses to answer the question!
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 2 May 2019 2:16:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. ...