The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Would you defend someone being put to the crucifix in 2019?

Would you defend someone being put to the crucifix in 2019?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
One would think being put to the crucifix is something that would not occur globally in 2019 and is something from more ancient times, but it is still in occurrence.

The person in question has been found guilty by a government for terrorist related crimes.

http://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/23/middleeast/saudi-executions-terror-intl/index.html

Would you defend this person? Yes or no? What would be your argument for taking a particular side?
Posted by NathanJ, Thursday, 25 April 2019 3:09:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Criminal minds haven't changed so why should deterrents ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 25 April 2019 4:01:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
According to the linked report, crucifixion in Saudi Arabia has a completely different meaning from the Ancient Roman punishment. Saudi crucifixion involves stringing someone up AFTER he's been executed.

Though I don't support having capital punishment, in places where it legally exists and is enforced I have no problem with it being applied to terrorists, whether or not they're strung up afterwards.

But whether those people actually committed the crimes they were convicted of is another matter. Saudi justice is notoriously dodgy - it almost makes even the Chinese system look fair by comparison!

Alas I don't see anything that can be done about that.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 25 April 2019 4:45:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan j Aiden has a point, who knows if they are even guilty,that country can not be trusted
As well we know some fanatics have themselves crucified as a sign of devotion
Plus we, humanity in general, can not stop murders of any kind
I am in trouble in another thread for saying beheading in that country is barbaric
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 25 April 2019 6:10:38 PM
How do you defend a person who has already been executed or crucified?

If you mean before the event, how would you go about doing that in Saudi Arabia? They would do the business on you too. Silly bloody question to ask in the safety of Australia, where there is no death penalty; and what happens outside Australia is none of our business. For mine, they can execute as many terrorists as they can get their hands on.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 25 April 2019 6:20:39 PM
Nathan do not be put off you post an interesting post now and again and most of us see them as worthwhile
I see your question for what it is and it questions, in the end, our humanity
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 25 April 2019 6:24:38 PM
our humanity
Belly,
So, where does that leave the inhumane criminals etc !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 25 April 2019 6:31:07 PM
Dear Nathan,

You ask - "Would you defend someone being put to the
crucifix in 2019?"

You give us a link and let us know this is happening
in Saudi Arabia.

In that case - my answer would - No.

I have no plans of travelling to that part of the world.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 25 April 2019 6:58:11 PM
It's funny how the news I watch keeps me informed of all these global issues;
And where all you guys get is narrative I get the inside info.
- Which really should be normal news reporting but todays media just treats you all like mushrooms -

Well from what I heard Belly and Aiden are right to be skeptical whether these people were actually terrorists.

From what I heard a couple may have been actual terrorists
(I say 'may' because I'm not completely sure they actually were)
But the rest, well they were just people who 'attended protests' etc.
This was a the government getting rid of activists and dissidents;
- For example (I don't know if this is fact either) perhaps some were the women who stood up for the right to drive.

There's more details of the victims in the video I watched here:
http://youtu.be/_L1B1L6E-qk
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 25 April 2019 10:15:33 PM
Would you defend someone being put to the crucifix in 2019?

Depends.

A lot of things depend on the context;
Pro's and cons;
The bigger picture;
Scenario's that would create a need for an exception to the rule.

Would I support someone being nailed to a cross for a crime?
Well generally no, it seems a little barbaric and unnecessary.

But ask me if a priest who rapes kids or covers up pedophilia doesn't deserve it?
Maybe they do.

And if they were my kids that this somehow happened to;
Well I'd probably volunteer to hammer the nails in myself.

And so, it all depends on the context.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 25 April 2019 10:37:29 PM
Armchair Critic The most important thing we must consider is are our opinions right
And are we any better than others to judge them
It remains my view,while the death penalty is sometimes called for
We should use a cleaner more humane method
Putting the deaths, then the body on display is primitive and so is the mentioned country
Posted by Belly, Friday, 26 April 2019 5:50:50 AM
Crucifixion is carried out by Muslims on devout Christians even today. Christian women who refused to submit to sex slavery in the Ottoman Empire in 1015 were crucified.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=armenian+christian+women+crucified+in+1914+-17&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=x-C8jGMM3RjEeM%253A%252CuP_c9dxejdo0jM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTQpAFJkZGNsXPmgN0CKhUNJNKujg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwidk-OSsezhAhXNbS

In the same way ISIS also carried out crucifixion on devout Christians

http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dEHCXOXpHsmv9QPUxLGYBw&q=isis+crucifixions+images&oq=ISIS+crucifixions&gs_l=img.1.1.0l2.510973.528492..531939...0.0..0.247.3590.0j2j15......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i67j0i8i30j0i30j0i24.smrHV3J0Wo0

It is the ultimate display of shame, being hung naked on a cross.
Posted by Josephus, Friday, 26 April 2019 9:37:13 AM
It is the ultimate display of shame, being hung naked on a cross.
Josephus,
The ultimate shame is that it is allowed to happen !
Posted by individual, Friday, 26 April 2019 10:00:24 AM
Nathan hope you will not mind but we need to take another look at Saudi Arabia
This morning's news saw photos of the crowd watching those beheadings
Should remind some of us of Taliban taking over sporting places, and forcing big crowds to watch them MURDER people, some times innocent of any crime
Some here are selective, will find one country's act ok the other dreadful
It is a symptom of a faith in need of reviewing that such primitive methods to kill, used by in the end primative people
Better ways to kill true criminals exist let's not put it on display ever
Posted by Belly, Friday, 26 April 2019 12:12:28 PM
Aidan,

<<Though I don't support having capital punishment, in places where it legally exists and is enforced I have no problem with it being applied to terrorists, whether or not they're strung up afterwards.>>

That's assuming a particular person is a terrorist. What is to happen if someone is innocent and has been found guilty of an act by a government or court, they did not commit?

You also don't support capital punishment, but have no problem with it being applied in places where it legally exists. Does this mean if such a practice was to be introduced in Australia, you would simply accept it?

Would you not defend one of your family members, friends, relatives or others who may be facing some type of execution anywhere, at anytime, considering you don't support capital punishment in the first place?
Posted by NathanJ, Friday, 26 April 2019 3:59:39 PM
Would it be possible to export the Cobby killers to Iran for a public stoning? It might give Aussies a greater appreciation of the civility of the justice system there.
Posted by Fester, Friday, 26 April 2019 5:48:30 PM
Fester we probably hold the same view on those murdering filth
But while we do, cutting their heads off in public is not our way
Willingly be the man who hanged them, even now, but not if it was an exhibition with public dragged in to watch
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 27 April 2019 7:14:04 AM
>That's assuming a particular person is a terrorist.
Technically no it isn't. What I said related to terrorists, not merely people accused of being terrorists nor a particular person.

>What is to happen if someone is innocent and has been found guilty of an act by a
>government or court, they did not commit?
Then quite obviously it's a problem - and considering I was the one who pointed out the extreme unreliability of the Saudi justice system, I'm surprised you bothered asking me such a stupid question!

>You also don't support capital punishment, but have no problem with it being applied in places where it legally exists
What I said was actually more specific: I have no problem with it being applied to terrorists in places were it legally exists.

>Does this mean if such a practice was to be introduced in Australia, you would simply accept it?
No, I'd campaign for its abolition.

>Would you not defend one of your family members, friends, relatives or others who may be facing some type
>of execution anywhere, at anytime, considering you don't support capital punishment in the first place?
Under normal circumstances, I expect so. But if they'd actually committed terrorist acts, I probably wouldn't bother.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 27 April 2019 11:08:43 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aiden understand your view, have shared it in the past
But the thread is not about capital punishment, it is about the method used
And as a side issue crowds watching making it a spectacle
Somethings in Islam are from the dark ages believing in a God, that like every God, never existed is keeping some in the dark ages
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 27 April 2019 4:59:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy