The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Justice for Peter Ridd

Justice for Peter Ridd

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
As I said Reflux,
“You have at least established that you are unable to sustain any of your baseless assertions about Ridd’s agreement.”
That did not prevent your addle brained attempt to raise your baseless assertion about the union again.Surely you understand the proof of your failure, now.
Posted by Leo Lane, Sunday, 28 April 2019 1:33:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Shadow Minister,

You wrote;

“Given that Intellectual freedom is supposedly a cornerstone of Universities”

This actually varies considerably between institutions and compared to some of the others JCU's version is far less a cornerstone and much more a facade.

Its code says they will;

“value academic freedom, and enquire, examine, criticise and challenge in the collegial and academic spirit of the search for knowledge, understanding and truth;”

Compare it to Deakin University's version;

“the University recognises and values the right to academic freedom as central to its endeavours in scholarship, teaching and research and is committed to its promotion and protection within the University. It supports the right of its scholars to engage in critical inquiry and robust and unfettered critical debate which extends to engagement with the media”

Western Sydney University's;

“The University is committed to the ideal of freedom to undertake intellectual inquiry and the pursuit of knowledge without undue interference or influence. While the individual and the University benefit from this, we acknowledge the social context and our responsibilities and accountability to peers, each other, and society in general.”

University of Western Australia;

“Academic freedom is recognised and protected by this University as essential to the proper conduct of teaching, research and scholarship. Freedom of intellectual thought and enquiry and the open exchange of ideas and evidence are a University core value. All academic and research staff should be guided by a commitment to freedom of inquiry and exercise their traditional rights to examine social values and to criticise and challenge the belief structures of society in the spirit of a responsible and honest search for knowledge and its dissemination.”

You then say because of;

“the propensity of unions against free speech, and the fact that the effort to fire PR came from a "union" of left wing academics”

Insipid. The fact that the EBA contained far stronger clauses about academic freedom than that of the university speaks for itself and for you to be labelling a bunch of aggrieved staff a 'union' doesn't add one iota to the discussion.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 28 April 2019 9:30:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SR,

My last post was not very clear. EAs are negotiated between employers and employee representatives with clauses being put in by both sides. I would assume that the clause 14 is not used in any other industry, and have no reason to believe that it was inserted at the behest of the union involved. This is based on my perception that unions are strong supporters of the new PC culture, however, I stand to be corrected if you have any contrary evidence.

I wonder whether clause 14 is repeated in other university EAs particularly those you cited with wooly codes of conduct that expose staff to political persecution. Sydney Uni would be one that might have to temper its behaviour.

http://sydney.edu.au/policies/showdoc.aspx?recnum=PDOC2011/65&RendNum=0
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 29 April 2019 6:29:54 AM
Dear Shadow Minister,

You wrote;

"I would assume that the clause 14 is not used in any other industry, and have no reason to believe that it was inserted at the behest of the union involved. This is based on my perception that unions are strong supporters of the new PC culture, however, I stand to be corrected if you have any contrary evidence."

I gave this reference earlier in the thread;

The National Tertiary Education Union campaigns for academic freedom clauses in Enterprise Agreements rather than in university policies. National President Alison Barnes explains why; “the most important implication of this judgement is that the only real protections for academic freedom in Australia are in the enterprise agreements negotiated by the NTEU. Most universities have policies on academic freedom, but they are completely unenforceable and therefore of very limited value.”
“Professor Ridd’s views on climate change would be at odds with the strongly held opinions of many NTEU members. However, that is not the point. The right to speak freely about academic matters needs to be especially protected when views are unpopular or controversial. It is greatly to the credit of his colleagues, many of whom disagree with his views, that they did not support the heavy-handed approach of the university management in this case,” Dr Barnes says.

End quote
http://campusmorningmail.com.au/news/why-peter-ridd-won-his-case-against-james-cook-u/

I'm wondering if you are claiming this has lesser evidentiary weight than your perception?

Ridd's case has proven that EBA trumps the code of conduct. I have also shown that JCU stance on academic freedom contained within its own code of conduct rules was tepid at best. Based on this I have no problem assuming the union was correct in its assessment and would expect it to have driven for stronger protections within the EBA.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 29 April 2019 9:23:42 AM
As I said Reflux,
“You have at least established that you are unable to sustain any of your baseless assertions about Ridd’s agreement.”
That did not prevent your addle brained attempt to raise your baseless assertion about the union again.Surely you understand proof of your failure, now.
Posted by Leo Lane, Monday, 29 April 2019 7:59:36 PM
"addle brained"

Mmmm.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 29 April 2019 8:12:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All